↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > First 90 Pick-up with potential leak. Who's problem?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dwfin279

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 PU Buckingham Blue
First 90 Pick-up with potential leak. Who's problem?
Hi All, about to buy my first defender and am keen on a 90 pickup. Really tidy 2010 with 20k miles. The only thing i found was a damp/leaky swivel/hub seal (i think). The seller doesn't seem concerned (i know leaks are very common) but i want it sorted before i buy it. It's also shown up on 2 mot advisories. Should i push harder for them to fix it? Should i be overly concerned?

Thanks a lot!
Post #818509 6th Mar 2020 5:31pm
Daisy90

United Kingdom 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alveston Red
Welcome,
If your ok with spanners it’s not such a big job to replace the swivel seal, ( if that’s what’s leaking)
I’m not sure about time wise at a garage to fix it, but I would be surprised it it went past two hours ,
With that in mind, try n offer them a deal on the price or if you want it that badly, just buy it and get it sorted out,
That’s very low mileage for sure
I presume you have checked the mileage and Mot online ?

Hope that helps ,
Good luck
Post #818513 6th Mar 2020 5:50pm
benniferj

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
How much is the car?
If its a private sale, you might knock a bit off, I wouldn't worry too much though. Ive got a slightly weepy swivel on mine and it is not really a concern or an interest to me right now and I'm personally putting it off for a time of immense boredom.

From a Landy indépendant or small time Landy mobile mechanic you could be looking at a few hundred quid tops. Combine with a new wheel bearing and maybe a front disc overhaul if worthwhile?
Post #818521 6th Mar 2020 6:35pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
It shouldn't leak. If it is leaking sufficiently to have 2 advisories against it, that would suggest more than slight wetness of the swivel and. If that is the current owner's approach to maintenance. I would walk away. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #818777 8th Mar 2020 1:03pm
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It's highly unlikely if the MOT station has logged it twice as just an advisory but check the axle hasn't split as per recall - lots of info here https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic33029.html

A damp swivel wouldn't put me off in the slightest. Maintenance item, simple to replace. Couple of hours labour at a garage or if you're that way inclined get your hands dirty! Perhaps try to get a couple of hundred quid off the asking price to sort it.

Good luck Thumbs Up > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #818778 8th Mar 2020 1:38pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
If the swivel has been leaking long enough to collect 2 advisories it suggests that the owner is negligent with regards to maintenance.
Plus if oil has been getting out, then water has been getting in, thus emulsifying the oil/grease within the swivel housing/axle. The prospect of the state of components within the axle is not a comforting one. Bearings, half shafts, CV joints, differential and abs components running in an oil/water mix for 2 years?
If the owner hasn't bothered to repair that, what else has been neglected? Oil changes? Filter replacements?
No thanks.
Walk away. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #818869 9th Mar 2020 9:03am
hank

But they can and do weep, and they look worse than they actually are as they collect dust so the MOT tester will be pleased to record it.

Ten year old vehicle with 20k miles. Say 2000 miles per year, 4000 miles on a moist swivel seal. Would be surprised if's lost more then 20ml oil.

But I appreciate it's personal opinion > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #818873 9th Mar 2020 9:26am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
oneten110 wrote:
If the swivel has been leaking long enough to collect 2 advisories it suggests that the owner is negligent with regards to maintenance.
Plus if oil has been getting out, then water has been getting in, thus emulsifying the oil/grease within the swivel housing/axle. The prospect of the state of components within the axle is not a comforting one. Bearings, half shafts, CV joints, differential and abs components running in an oil/water mix for 2 years?
If the owner hasn't bothered to repair that, what else has been neglected? Oil changes? Filter replacements?
No thanks.
Walk away.

Lots of assumptions there. Best ask seller if they are topping up the swivel with fresh oil/grease. If they say yes ask how much over what period. If no, possibly better as undoing the filler will give you an indication of how much has been lost.
Post #818878 9th Mar 2020 10:35am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Options:

1) I'd get the RAC or someone similar to do a vehicle inspection. I'm sure someone on here can recommend someone. Ask them to pay particular attention to that area.

2) Agree with the owner to take it to a garage and you get a garage to inspect. May cost you £50. Ideally an independent landy garage.

3) Ask on here if there is anyone local to you who is mechanically minded and get them to come along and have a look with you.

That way you know what you're buying. Make sure it has not had crash damage, bad corrosion in areas you cannot see, made of odd parts bolted together, poor quality paint job, not just had engine steam cleaned to hide other problems etc etc.

Slow and steady wins the buying game.

Good luck
Post #818881 9th Mar 2020 10:55am
oneten110

United Kingdom 
Land Rover didn't design the swivel to leak. Therefore it shouldn't leak.
I get so fed up of people coming out with drivel like "Oh its a Land Rover, they always leak." No they don't, I replaced my swivel seals 10 years ago and they are still bone dry, I change the oil in the swivels every 10,000 miles I also check the level before and after every long journey.
What people fail to appreciate is that the Defender was an old fashioned vehicle even when it was introduced, they require a lot more attention than the typical car and a lot more maintenance.
I may have been making assumptions about the state of the axle internals but if somebody cannot be bothered to repair a leaking swivel for 2 years. That would give me the idea that they are not particularly interested in looking after the oily parts of the vehicle and I would walk away. I don't care about how few miles it has done or how shiny the paint is.
The AA or RAC are unlikely to strip the axle to check the conditions of the internals.
It matters not how much oil has leaked out or whether it was topped up, it is how much moisture has made its way in there and how much condensation has developed inside the axle casing It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #818886 9th Mar 2020 11:26am
hank

I see what you're saying but by that logic you could buy a defender that has no oily swivels but has been waded every day of it's life.

Used cars are always a risk > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #818888 9th Mar 2020 11:59am
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
oneten110 wrote:
Land Rover didn't design the swivel to leak. Therefore it shouldn't leak.
I get so fed up of people coming out with drivel like "Oh its a Land Rover, they always leak." No they don't, I replaced my swivel seals 10 years ago and they are still bone dry, I change the oil in the swivels every 10,000 miles I also check the level before and after every long journey.
What people fail to appreciate is that the Defender was an old fashioned vehicle even when it was introduced, they require a lot more attention than the typical car and a lot more maintenance.
I may have been making assumptions about the state of the axle internals but if somebody cannot be bothered to repair a leaking swivel for 2 years. That would give me the idea that they are not particularly interested in looking after the oily parts of the vehicle and I would walk away. I don't care about how few miles it has done or how shiny the paint is.
The AA or RAC are unlikely to strip the axle to check the conditions of the internals.
It matters not how much oil has leaked out or whether it was topped up, it is how much moisture has made its way in there and how much condensation has developed inside the axle casing

Totally agreed they will not strip and axel but will probably be able to point out other issues from poor maintenance to build a more thorough idea of how well it has been looked after. Funnily enough mine had oil all over one swivel when I purchased it. I cleaned it off, checked regularly and it's not leaked since.
Post #818890 9th Mar 2020 12:28pm
hank

Bought mine with one weapy/grimey swivel in March 2017. Fitted a new seal May 2018. All well. > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #818893 9th Mar 2020 12:52pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
all land rovers have oil leaks - its when theyre not leaking that you need to worry as it generally means they haven't got any oil in them Rolling with laughter
Post #818898 9th Mar 2020 1:53pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
And that is exactly the sort of rubbish I am talking about.
A properly maintained vehicle shouldn't have any leaks.
It wasn't designed with leaks so, quite simply, there shouldn't be any. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #818913 9th Mar 2020 4:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>