↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Land Rover and the Anglesey crossbow murder trial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
Land Rover and the Anglesey crossbow murder trial
I have been following the proceedings of this trial and most of the evidence given relies on telematics and timelines recorded by JLR, Justice Jefford says telematics data is recorded by the Land Rover and uploaded to a server at Jaguar Land Rover. They do this by an embedded SIM card. It’s like “a mobile phone on four wheels”.

The telematics gives the location of the vehicle at the murder scene at the same time as the crime took place it shows how often the doors were open and for how long. The defendant did not know about the telematics but when he found out it is alleged he set fire to the vehicle.
I did not know telematics on a Land Rover recorded everything you do when you stated it where it was and even which door you opened, fascinating.

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wal...e-17609825 For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #815999 19th Feb 2020 2:53pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
It can all be accessed via the JLR Remote App

The consumer can easily see where the car is parked and each journey taken

You can see if the car in locked and if the alarm has been set, doors, boot , bonnet open or closed.

I am sitting here now and even though my wife is at work if it was really cold and I knew what time she was finishing work I could start the car and leave it running for 30 mins to warm it up .

You cannot see the car in motion on the map, but if stolen JLR can track it to support the police.

It’s actually very good and useful if you suddenly can’t remember if you locked the car or not.

The App will also tell you if the alarm is triggered

Think of the Defender thefts that could have been saved if we had this years ago.

If he says that he did not know then he is either very stupid or the dealer saleS staff need to be re trained on their hand over procedure.

On another note, the dealer staff never closed off the account for my wife’s last DS.

I can see exactly where the new owner goes and within a small distance of where they live Shocked

I did think about going to the local dealer and telling them but judging by the looks on their faces I think that they like pictures of Defenders on their wall, just not me driving mine onto their forecourt Rolling with laughter
Post #816002 19th Feb 2020 3:17pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
A few months ago I managed to hit a concrete block in my wife's Disco Sport and take the tyre out. I contacted Land Rover Assistance via the button above the driving mirror. They said they would send someone out straight away and I said "I'd better let you know where I am then". "That's OK sir, we know exactly where you are, you're halfway along ......road." I can check where my car is located and the routes I have taken, plus it will tell me if it is locked and alarmed by using their In Control App. I suppose it's not that difficult for it to collect data on everything the vehicle has been doing. Big brother and all that. Whistle Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #816004 19th Feb 2020 3:23pm
discomog

Looks like Mike beat me to it. He can obviously type quicker than me. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #816005 19th Feb 2020 3:25pm
markb110

Before any technophobes start moaning, go to your smart phone, open your Google Account and click on Your Timeline..

I use WhatsApp location when out on my bike, just is case anything should happen.

The tinfoil hat does not work anymore.....

For those using Skytag, are you aware that you can get a windows link to see where your LR is at all times?

If not call Skytag for your own link.

Hope that helps.
Post #816012 19th Feb 2020 4:22pm
Chawks

United Kingdom 
Moral of the story is if your off to murder someone leave your mobile and Land Rover at home .
Post #816029 19th Feb 2020 6:51pm
Grouse

Or if your meeting dodgy women !
Post #816033 19th Feb 2020 7:15pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Chawks wrote:
Moral of the story is if your off to murder someone leave your mobile and Land Rover at home .

I have made a note. Thanks. WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #816037 19th Feb 2020 7:26pm
markb110

I was watching the Ted Bundy film ' Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile'.

There is a scene where Ted Bundy has been pulled over by the police and is being questioned. The police officer lists off all the suspicious items found in the boot of his car. At that point I realised that I had most of those.....plus more Shocked

Honestly officer what's wrong with zipp ties, rope, duck tape, gloves, shovel, hand axe and a list of all the local byways.. Whistle
Post #816046 19th Feb 2020 7:40pm
Tim in Scotland

But the thefts of Land Rover cars fitted with the system don’t seem to be falling despite online tracking - it doesn’t seem to deter car thieves much. My Mini has a similar system as the JLR system I’ve had in all my new Land Rover cars since 2011.
Also once the warranty of your JLR product runs out so does your InControl Secure cover if you don’t cough up a fortune to renew the subscription. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #816075 19th Feb 2020 10:14pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Chawks wrote:

Most if not all modern vehicles have the same level of intrusive technology, and indeed there is quite possible more being logged than they have let on (for example the number of passengers, and even the individual mass of passengers - there was I believe a case in the states not long ago where it was proved who was driving the vehicle at the time of an accident by inspecting the data from transponders in the seats).

It is however thoroughly depressing albeit not, sadly, surprising, to hear that JLR will allow the previous owner of a car to track the current owner, and this sort of thing can only get worse.

No doubt in the future this sort of intrusive datalogging will be the basis of taxation through road pricing, something that is probably inevitable as EVs start to become significant in numbers and the falling revenues from fossil fuels hit the economy.

Welcome to the future.
Post #816078 19th Feb 2020 10:44pm
Tim in Scotland

JLR as far as I know do not condone previous owners tracking their old cars - it is part of the approved used system that previous owners are blocked but in m experience only one of the 3 LR dealers I have traded in / sold cars to have carried out that blocking on the day of sale and one London Dealership finally cancelled my access to the Evoque I sold to them 14 months after the deal was completed and despite me asking them in writing to ensure I was not able to access the car’s data. The dealership in Inverness my last RRS went to blocked my access to the car before it even left the BMW Mini dealership I had originally part exchanged the car into that was in the same dealership group. How long before LR dealers find that they have a case against them for breaking the Data protection regulations Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #816085 19th Feb 2020 11:35pm
discomog

Only this lunchtime my wife received a letter from JLR inviting her to extend her In Control cover for another year on her DS. They charge £35 for 12 months.

This seems better value than the £95 they wanted to charge for updating the sat nav maps. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #816114 20th Feb 2020 8:50am
ken

United Kingdom 
Think people / retailers should gen up on GDPR Rolling with laughter
Post #816117 20th Feb 2020 9:13am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Interesting case in the press recently:

"Car dealers should redact used car previous keeper personal information from service history or face expensive court cases for breaching GDPR laws.

That’s the advice from legal experts after one car dealer was forced to settle a case for £3,000 following a service invoice with the previous keeper’s details was left in the glovebox of a used car.

The boss of the large dealer group – who has asked not to be named, but is sharing their case to warn other dealers – said the ‘innocent mistake’ had served as a costly reminder on GDPR laws.

‘We sold a used car with one key and clearly stated it only had one,’ the boss told Car Dealer.

‘The new owner found an old service invoice in the glovebox that had the previous keeper’s address on it so decided to write them a letter and ask if they still had a spare key.

‘All it was, was a letter, but the old owner kicked up a fuss and got a no-win, no-fee solicitor involved who wrote to us threatening court action for a breach of GDPR.

‘My lawyers advised us to settle out of court, which I have done, but all because we left service history in the car. I’ve been advised now to black out all names and addresses on invoices in service history.’

Legal experts from both Lawgistics and CG Professionals advised car dealers to be cautious with previous owners’ details and remove any personal information from invoices.

Lawgistics solicitor Nona Bowkis said she had seen more ‘ambulance chasing’ law firms get involved with GDPR and data breach claims and target dealers.

She said: ‘These types of claims can be heard in the High Court, so if a dealer loses, the costs can run into thousands of pounds very quickly.

‘Furthermore, the customer will nearly always be protected under some sort of no-win, no-fee arrangement and so any dealer on the end of one of these claims, is already on the back foot.’

She advised that if there had been a genuine breach – even an innocent one like this example – then it is ‘probably wise to settle’ out of court.

Bowkis added that the dealer could have argued there had not been a breach as the previous keeper had left the service records in the car, but legal fees on the court case would have been expensive.

She added: ‘This will be an expensive lesson and one which must lead to a thorough review of all data processes.

‘We know some dealers have chosen to redact personal information of this nature as a matter of course – a decision they took as part of their GDPR risk assessments.

‘With ambulance chasing ever present, dealers must regularly review their data policies and procedures to avoid this sort of accusation. In the event one has slipped through the net, dealers should seek legal advice immediately before it gets out of control.’

Stacey Turner, managing partner at motor trade legal firm CG Professionals, explained that personal data is classed as ‘anything that can identify a living individual’, including service history.

She said that dealers should redact personal data – by blacking out names and addresses – to protect themselves.

She added: ‘Alternatively, a dealership could keep its own record of customer details and include customer reference numbers on their servicing history so that if they were ever contacted about a certain entry, they could make an informed decision at that point as to whether there is any legal requirement for disclosure.’

Turner confirmed that disclosure of previous keeper details on a V5 certificate is allowed as it is a legal requirement."

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/ca...ses/220790
Post #896450 7th Apr 2021 11:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1