↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Expedition & Overland > NC500 - thoughts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
NC500 - thoughts?
Me n the mrs where thinking of doing the NC500 together this summer in my 110.

Idea is to mostly wild camp where permitted and a couple hotel stops.

Likely around May/June/July time.

Any tips or suggestions?

Roughly how long does it take to complete? I know its a bit of how longs a bit of string kinda thing but be nice to hear from.those thay have done it.

If you did camp how was it? Any suggestions on where to stop? Worth renting or borrowing a roof tent? Or fine with my OZ Jet? Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #814315 9th Feb 2020 2:42pm
BaronDefenders

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Santorini Black
I’ve done it twice now. First time in June and second in September. Neither time was particularly warm. There was pretty much the same level of traffic both times. The west coast is definitely where all the best scenery is.

You could do the whole thing in 5 days and that would allow you to see quite a few things and not feel rushed. Once you get on the road, the miles pass quickly.

The first time I went we used campsites. They’re all much alike and the only benefit of using a campsite is the showers. Wild camping allows you to have a fire, music, and do what you like. The second time we wild camped and, if you look hard enough, you can find some class spots.

The thing that’ll make your life miserable is the midges. Take plenty of insect repellent. Preferably in an industrial quantity.

I took my OzTent RV1 and that worked nicely. On the second trip, someone took a roof tent. On a couple of nights he decided to sleep inside of his 110 as the wind was so strong that the noise of the tent flapping around and the swaying of the car kept him awake.

In terms of places to visit, all the highlights are along the route anyway. A bit of Google research will pull up a few good ideas. It’s possibly worth heading over to Skye whilst you’re up there. Applecross and the pass are must sees.

I hope that’s of some help. Thumbs Up Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

1958 Series 2 88 Pastel Green (2019 LR Legends Best Restored)
1983 V8 110 Limestone (Previously owned by Tom Sheppard MBE)
2004 Td5 90 Santorini Black (Td5INSIDE Powered & Rebuilt by CSK)
2012 Puma 110 Zermatt Silver (Overlanding Build)

Instagram: @BaronDefenders
Post #814328 9th Feb 2020 3:48pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
Good info!

Should mean the Jet is up for the job, ive had that in some pretty intense wind and slept fine.

Probably would see Sky and visit a vew distillerys make the most of being up there.

So talking a week really start to finish from south london Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #814357 9th Feb 2020 6:32pm
BaronDefenders

Yeah definitely doable in a week. Any longer and I think you might run out of things to do, if you’re sticking mostly to the main route. I drove from London to south of Inverness in a day. Stopped off in Newcastle on the way back as I couldn’t stand driving 11hrs at the end of the trip. Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

Post #814362 9th Feb 2020 6:48pm
Peregrine_White

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Keswick Green
I went up this august with the mrs and we slept in the back of my 90 using an air bed and the paranoid sleep system. Wasn't the comfiest but it was a fast set up which was what we were after as we found that after 10.30 ish the traffic got worse and we choose to drive early mornings then stop somewhere for most of the day before the afternoon when we carried on and found somewhere to stay. We did a mix of campsites and wild camping, mainly so the better half could have showers and we could fill water up. Like has been mentioned the west coast is the best part and we spent 5 days doing the west coast then did the north and east in 3. I would recommend buying a guide book and reading that in the evenings so you can plan what places you want to visit the following day. If i had the option of a roof top tent I would have gone down that route. The main thing is just to get yourself there and do it because the west coast really is something special.

Click image to enlarge
Post #814367 9th Feb 2020 6:55pm
L110CDL

England 
The wife and i went up last year, the first two weeks in September, we did the route anti clockwise as that way round has the best scenery, as my wife does not do camping, i booked b & b's all along the route with plenty of time to explore in between them. Sadly we did not have enough time to visit Skye and do the Applecross pass, but we will be going up next year to spend time to do them and a bit more, we certainly had a cracking time and can't wait until the next time Very Happy

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up. Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #814385 9th Feb 2020 8:00pm
Tim in Scotland

Guys if you are doing a few distillery visits don’t forget that Scotland has a much lower blood alcohol limit for driving than England ..............
https://www.gov.scot/publications/drink-drive-limit-policy/ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #814391 9th Feb 2020 8:10pm
Mdm

United Kingdom 
4-5 days is plenty of time.
applecross pass is good but can be busy and lots of folk (read tourists) who dont know hot to drive or use single track lanes.

hot chocolate cafe is worth a stop (not cheap but...)

plenty of camp-sites to split the trip works well for most folk

whiskey distillery's galore

less and less wild camping spots as far to many folk leave rubbish etc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #814405 9th Feb 2020 8:54pm
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
As far as those pesky midges are concerned, is there any time of year (or, and please excuse my ignorance, time of day?) that they are the most nuissance? Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #814410 9th Feb 2020 9:32pm
BaronDefenders

I’m no expert but I think they’re worst over the summer and early autumn. Anywhere there’s water there will be midges. You’ll find the rain and wind become your best friends. Laughing Charlie

1949 Series 1 80 (SOLD)
2002 Td5 90 (SOLD)
2008 Freelander 2 (SOLD)

Post #814417 9th Feb 2020 9:50pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Did it a few years ago but was all hotel stops.

On how long it will take, having done many long Euro touring trips in relatively fast cars on relatively small roads (Where's the fun in bashing down an autoroute), we generally plan for 30 miles in the hour, 2 hours of driving in the morning and two hours in the afternoon, so a daily total of 120 miles. Gives plenty of time for photo stops and the odd detour off route and means you are never really pushed to driving long distances into the night because at 3pm you realise your hotel is still 200 miles away!
Post #814439 10th Feb 2020 7:40am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think it would be a good time now, I like wild weather!
Post #814446 10th Feb 2020 8:45am
donmacn

BaronDefenders wrote:
I’m no expert but I think they’re worst over the summer and early autumn. Anywhere there’s water there will be midges. You’ll find the rain and wind become your best friends. Laughing

Midgies - usually any time from late May to mid/late September depending on the day.

They don't like strong sunshine, so late morning, early afternoon can be OK. But a) but this is Scotland and b) if you step out of the sun, behind a car or in the trees, they'll find you....

They can't manage strong wind and even a moderate breeze will keep them down, but as above, if you step into a more sheltered spot they'll be waiting!

But the main reason I was quoting BaronDef is about rain. They actually don't mind rain itself. One of my most memorable midgie experiences ( I have lots! ) was a camp site in Glen Nevis, surrounded by tall trees so quite sheltered, and Censored down. The midgies were giving it large!

So if I was out and about, choosing a campsite, during those months, I would definitely factor in midgies and choose a spot likely to catch any breeze. If you don't know about midgies, you're likely to think: Oh, there's a nice spot, sheltered behind those tall trees." Fail!

Another thing relevant to the NC500 is that the wee Censored are much less prevalent on the East coast - but still there depending on conditions.

So, apart from the repellent, some "midgie hats" are a good idea; long sleeved shirts; trousers; and maybe even light gloves. Seriously. You might not use them, but on the right evening, in the wrong place, you'll be grateful!! Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #814452 10th Feb 2020 9:27am
strang

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Some mates did it in a day.......

Euro-Leafing to infinity and beyond.....
Post #815006 13th Feb 2020 8:18pm
Tim in Scotland

Mdm wrote:
whiskey distillery's galore

You will struggle to find a single one of those in Scotland - they are all in the USA or Ireland............... but if you mean Whisky distilleries - yes there are plenty of those Laughing Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #815040 13th Feb 2020 10:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1