↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > RC car recommendations wanted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
kmac

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
RC car recommendations wanted
I am looking to acquire a budget RC off-road car/buggy so I can have something for my dog to chase when the squirrels retire to their dens for the winter.

Any recommendations for a decent brand or specific model to go for? Budget is £50 or under.

Will need to handle grass and dirt tracks mainly.
Post #866693 11th Nov 2020 12:16pm
Tim in Scotland

I gave my 7 year old great nephew and navigator one of these last Christmas - so far it’s still in one piece despite some pretty rough handling by him and his friends At £35 it’s well within budget. I also saw last week in the Sainsbury’s Christmas toys sale an even cheaper R/C Range Rover Sport which might still be available from Argos
https://shop.landrover.com/uk/defender-1-1...cale-model

Here’s the Argos one at £11.........
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8863232 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #866696 11th Nov 2020 12:45pm
kmac

Thanks Tim, whilst I am sure in real life a Defender or Range rover copes well off-road I canot see those doing too well on grass/dirt

I am after something like the one in the link below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANTAPRCIS-Remote-...d_wg=lwfbM

Problem is there are so many brands and similar models, I just wanted to select one based on recommendations
Post #866741 11th Nov 2020 3:38pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
My lad loves RC cars...

As do I and in my time I've had nitro powered ones and many Tamiya ones... However these are quite expensive.

The Main thing you will find is a lot of the cheaper ones simply don't work very well over bumpy ground / wet grass etc... a bit annoying.

We took a punt on one of these... arrived after 6 days (I paid using paypal) and its surprisingly good. It has 3 battery's, lasts for over 1 hr on a full charge and he brings it on walks with us Smile

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001091754...web201603_

Good thing is it only drives at walking speed.... so he doesn't zoom off down the road.

His birthday is coming up and he wanted a slightly quicker one so just bought this... its cheap and looks ok (metal) Will report back after 14th December

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WZR...&psc=1

If you want something that literally drives over anything, lasts hours, driven through water, rocks, rolls over regularly.. but costs a lot more we also have this... (its basically a cheap Traxxas TRX-4 and after two years still brilliant)

https://toylocker.co.uk/products/ftx-kanyo...EEQAvD_BwE

Click image to enlarge
Post #866758 11th Nov 2020 4:58pm
kmac

Thanks Stacey - will wait and see how you get on with the faster one from China

Seems like I have to spend a lot more to get a decent car with say LiPo batteries rather than NiMH

Last edited by kmac on 11th Nov 2020 7:19pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #866790 11th Nov 2020 7:06pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Re: RC car recommendations wanted
kmac wrote:
I am looking to acquire a budget RC off-road car/buggy so I can have something for my dog to chase when the squirrels retire to their dens for the winter.

Any recommendations for a decent brand or specific model to go for? Budget is £50 or under.

Will need to handle grass and dirt tracks mainly.

Just a heads up. But the twisting a dog can do chasing an RC car isn't always good for their hips (a bit breed dependant). In open spaces it might more suitable.

However I don't think you'll get anything worth buying for £50.

There are some budget offerings you can get from China.

For example, these are pretty good:
https://www.banggood.com/Wltoys-144001-1-o...rehouse=CZ

But you'll still need some batteries and a charger. And if you go for LiPo batteries, a bit more care will need to be taken. As they can be quite volatile.

However the car above is pretty small, so only very short grass. If you want to go across a typical grass park, you'll need a 1/10th scale stadium or monster truck or even a 1/8th buggy.
Post #866792 11th Nov 2020 7:12pm
kmac

Thanks Chicken

Beginning to realise I need to spend a lot more.

Would only really get him to chase it on long straights (we walk across a golf course that has been re-purposed) - the fairways are nice and wide.
Post #866795 11th Nov 2020 7:20pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
The FTX Kanyon one we have runs on normal 7.4v batteries like tamiya ones,

With an extra battery / charger etc it was around £180 but it does go up, down, through anything....

The cheaper MN90 from china is very good, and like any landrover you can upgrade all the parts Smile

Ours is bog standard and for £38 is great Smile

Tamiya are releasing a lot of the old Skool models these are electric and many buggy types, again with the handset, batteries and charger your looking around £150 up
Post #866810 11th Nov 2020 8:00pm
kmac

Thumbs Up
Post #866839 11th Nov 2020 9:58pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Stacey007 wrote:
The FTX Kanyon one we have runs on normal 7.4v batteries like tamiya ones,

With an extra battery / charger etc it was around £180 but it does go up, down, through anything....

The cheaper MN90 from china is very good, and like any landrover you can upgrade all the parts Smile

Ours is bog standard and for £38 is great Smile

Tamiya are releasing a lot of the old Skool models these are electric and many buggy types, again with the handset, batteries and charger your looking around £150 up

Those are crawlers, so walking pace. I think the op was wanting something a bit quicker.

However with speed comes more risk of breakages and needing to repair.

This is probably about as cheap as you can realistically get:
£119
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-carnage-2...cts/444807

But it includes a battery, basic slow charger and the radio gear. i.e. it's good to go with no extra's needed.

It also has a good spares supply.

It has big enough wheels to cover the terrain with ease and should be fairly nippy. Although a lot faster is available with different models.

Click image to enlarge

I suspect if you buy from Banggood or similar you might find a WL Toys or similar for cheaper, but you'd need to research individual models to see what people think. Also buying from China like this usually takes 2-6 weeks shipping. Which means getting spares can be slow.
Post #866934 12th Nov 2020 3:16pm
kmac

Thanks Chicken - will see if that's in stock somewhere

Budget upped accordingly - or might put it on the Xmas list for the Mrs to buy me Very Happy
Post #866942 12th Nov 2020 3:35pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Re: RC car recommendations wanted
kmac wrote:

How big's your dog?

Click image to enlarge

"The original Tamiya Wild One (58050) was released in 1985 and became one of the brand’s most iconic models. Such was the popularity of the model it was even re-released in 2012 (58525) to further acclaim.

Now, The Little Car Company are delighted to announce that the Wild One will make its return a decade later – only this time, with a difference.

The Little Car Company are developing the Wild One MAX for release in 2022 under licence from Tamiya. Rather than being 1/10th scale, the Wild One MAX will be an impressive 8/10th scale, and you will not need an R/C controller, because it is big enough to drive yourself!"

https://thelittlecar.co/tamiya-wild-one-ma...ifference/
Post #900484 29th Apr 2021 8:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1