Total Votes: 40

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
MrEleven

Scotland 
Opinions please on wheel colour

Click image to enlarge

Still going back and forth on wheel colour. My defender will look basically same as one in photo with the same wheels as the bottom photo. Think a silver defender will look better with black or silver wheels?
Post #838412 20th Jun 2020 7:47am
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Not white steels? Shocked James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #838415 20th Jun 2020 8:00am
MrEleven

Scotland 
I actually really like the white steels think they look proper nice on the green but for silver it needs to be silver or black.I think the black wheels just blend in too much because of the black trim at the bottom of the car i think the silver wheels stand out better.

Also on a side note. Mud flaps or not ? And wheel arch protection or not ?
Post #838423 20th Jun 2020 8:43am
Tim in Scotland

I agree about the wheel colour on a silver car - black or silver but I’d vote silver. The white doesn’t work on silver, white steelies also works best with the white contrast roof I’m looking for a set of black 20’s though.

Mud flaps - I have the Classic flaps front and rear - they are huge and made of rigid plastic - they will for sure do a good job on streaming wet roads but could be a problem off-road, in mud or in snow when I think that they might catch off-road and trap mud or snow in those conditions. I would say if you intend to go off into the wilds then the smaller ones would be better and I might change mine for that reason
On mine at normal height
From behind

From the side

This is the other style of mud flap (sorry about the picture quality but it’s a screenshot from the LR Configurator)

Click image to enlarge

Wheel arch protection - I thought about this - I will probably get them fitted later when I retire my old 90 and start to use the L663 off-road more seriously. I would imagine if you live in the ‘burbs and town drive and use public car parks a lot then any additional protection is useful! I live out in the Trossachs and the only car park I use isSainsbury in Stirling where there is loads of space to park well away from anybody else, but I might start using the 90 which nobody parks near to for fear of getting mud / farm slurry on their car and clothes as they brush passed! The rock sliders also help put people off parking too close.

Side steps - I’ve never been a fan of the full length type preferring the small fold up ones (not the motorised deployable type though) BUT even at access height New Defender is a climb to get into for those who are a bit height challenged - it’s as high at access height as my old 90 which is on standard suspension with no suspension lift. I think I’ll have to fit a set even though 90% of the time I’m solo in the car, at 5ft 7” tall with 28” inside leg and getting close to needing a hip replacement op, I find it a climb at access height! Good job that there is a nice big grab handle on the end of the driver’s side of the dash that I don’t have on my oldie. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 20th Jun 2020 9:20am. Edited 6 times in total
Post #838429 20th Jun 2020 8:59am
bear100

Wales 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
The black wheel design is great and would look much better in silver on that vehicle Idea
theres too much black going on

so i will vote silver 2016 Range Rover Autobiography 4.4 TDV8
2010 110 XS Utility 2.4TDCI
2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 (gone)
2007 Discovery HSE TDV6 (gone)
1993 110 csw 200 tdi (gone)
1994 90 HT 300 tdi (gone)
1994 discovery 300tdi (gone)
90 hybrid 3.5 v8 (gone)
Range rover bobtail 3.5 v8 (gone)
Post #838435 20th Jun 2020 9:11am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
J77

Scotland 
Silver Thumbs Up
Post #838456 20th Jun 2020 10:51am
Adammacky

United Kingdom 
Black for me, personally never been a fan of standard looking silver stock wheels on cars, wheels transform a car, first thing you notice, i feel the same way about trainers and shoes too Laughing
Post #838476 20th Jun 2020 11:52am
MrEleven

Scotland 
I really like the larger mud flaps, think ill need to get them. Definitely prefer the silver wheels, think black wheels look good on every colour except the silver. Also dont think ill bother with the arch protection
Post #838501 20th Jun 2020 1:14pm
Tim in Scotland

Mud flaps and bigger accessories - Remember that the price shown on the configurator includes VAT and labour for fitting them before buying them to fit yourself to save money ......... you’ll still pay the same price at many dealers......

Just don’t fit Kahn black 23’s, they look very silly on this car Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 20th Jun 2020 2:11pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #838516 20th Jun 2020 2:08pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Re: Opinions please on wheel colour
MrEleven wrote:

Still going back and forth on wheel colour. My defender will look basically same as one in photo with the same wheels as the bottom photo. Think a silver defender will look better with black or silver wheels?

Black 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #838517 20th Jun 2020 2:11pm
MrEleven

Scotland 
Has anyone seen any new defenders with the bottom trim wrapped in gloss black ? Been looking online but cant see any. Think it would look good with the trim wrapped gloss
Post #838872 22nd Jun 2020 12:50pm
Tim in Scotland

Has anybody seen a New Defender on the roads, let alone one with wrapped sills?
I’ve not yet seen another and seem to attract a lot of attention when I go on the roads and a visit to the supermarket led to me coming out with my shopping to find Classic Defenders and D4/D5 Commercials parked all round mine,with drivers in them waiting to have a look inside! The supermarket happens to be not far from the Livestock Mart which doesn’t help! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #838876 22nd Jun 2020 1:26pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Hello Tim

I saw my first one on the road yesterday. I love that green, the online build web page does not do that colour justice.

One thing that pleased me was that as the new Defender came round the round a bout it was instantly recognisable unlike the rest of the range where sometimes I have to look twice to work out what it is.

On the subject of wheel colour, go to a dealers service area and check out current customer vehicles, many have kerbed alloys . The black wheels look a lot worse than the silver, and they have not even been taken off road.

On my wife’s previous two Discovery Sports, with black pack, I fitted Alloygators to protect them.

Oh and Land Rover in their wisdom don’t do a touch up paint to match the black. This is something that will show up instantly when the car is given back at the end of the PCP contract and so they could deduct you the value of a new alloy, they won’t repair it.....
Post #838883 22nd Jun 2020 1:48pm
Tim in Scotland

Pangea Green doesn’t seem to render well on Camera and computer/tablet screens, even when I used my Fuji X20 digital camera that normally does well with reproducing greens I couldn’t get the downloaded picture to look as dark as it does in the flesh.
I had the Black Pack on my 2nd Evoque and scuffed a rear wheel - that was when I found that it was a silver wheel painted gloss black and not black alloy......... and having no spare meant that when I got the wheel refurbished I lost the car for the time it took the wheel company to do the job as they also wanted the front wheel off the same side to paint so that the two wheels on the same side were the same shade........ Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #838888 22nd Jun 2020 2:11pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
"i feel the same way about trainers and shoes too" Does that mean you only wear black trainers and shoes?

Seriously, every single saloon car and SUV is now being ordered with the black wheel option, as good a reason as any NOT to...

Peter
Post #838923 22nd Jun 2020 4:21pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>