↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Springy question - answers most welcome.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
Springy question - answers most welcome.
I bought a set of springs on here last summer for my Td5 90 from another member who had them going spare. The time has come to fit them along with new shocks, turrets etc etc, but I have a slight problem. The springs are all different and without any markings on them, so I’m not just 100% sure which goes where.

They are Flatdog springs and are as follows. Two are roughly 38.5cm tall and two are roughly 39.5cm tall. One of the shorter and one of the longer springs both have approximately 7 and 3/4 turns whilst the other shorter and other longer springs both have approximately 8 and 1/4 turns. I contacted Flatdog but have as yet had no reply about my quandary.
Having spoken to the springs previous owner - and this makes sense to me - I think we may have a solution, but obviously want to run it past the ‘experts’ before they go on the motor, possibly in the wrong place Shocked The thinking is that the taller springs are on the front and the shorter on the rear - this compensates for the extra weight on the front due to the engine etc.
Now, as to which spring goes on either side, the reckoning is that the 7 3/4 turn ones go on the nearside (passenger) and the 8 1/4 turn ones are on the offside (driver). This should compensate for the weight of the driver? The Flatdog blurb states
“Our springs are, like genuine Land Rover springs, handed to counteract the engine and transfer and also torque dip and not a one spring fits all, simply because they don’t.”
If anyone truly understands all this I would really appreciate help in deciding what corner they are going on before I give all the stuff into my local garage to have the work done.

Many thanks for any help.
Post #813992 6th Feb 2020 10:58pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
I think you're right about the handing but the longer springs should go on the back. This is based on the fact that rear OE springs have more coils and longer free length than front ones.

To give you an idea of what I mean, take a look here:

http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html

That table doesn't cover some of the later spring spec's/colour combinations but it does illustrate the general point about rear springs being longer. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #813996 6th Feb 2020 11:12pm
roel

Netherlands 2003 Defender 90 Td5 PU Caledonian Blue
You can download a spring calculator on your phone to calculate the spring rates. With this you know which ones belong together and normally the higher spring rates are for the rear. The longer springs for the drivers side.

If you measure accurately the numbers will come close to the given values. Roel

1984 90 2.5 na Diesel - RR V8 (1994-2001)
1997 Camel Trophy Discovery 300TDI (2001-2009)
2005 G4 Discovery III 4.4 V8 (2008-2018) It's gone but it still hurts.
2003 90 Td5 (2009-now)
Post #814064 7th Feb 2020 6:40pm
RoddyK05

Scotland 2004 Defender 90 Td5 SW Yellow
After phoning Flatdog and speaking to their tech chap who couldn’t have been more helpful I think roel was spot on.

The long springs both belong on the driver side with the 7 3/4 turn ones on the front and the 8 1/4 turn ones on the rear.

I can now get it booked in and change my 16 year old springs and shockers to hopefully get a nicer ride and lose it’s permanent list to port. Hopefully this info will help if anyone has a similar quandary.
Post #815022 13th Feb 2020 9:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1