↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Anyone good at DIY car body painting?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Grenadier - As my Wife is under instruction to work from home, and the Wifi in the garage is not fast enough, I shall have to take your word for it.

That being the case, I decided to plow on despite the deteriorating atmosphere inside the repsirator. I think it'll be fine untill I start getting massive headaches or can't see straight.

Being happy with the etch primer I did last week, at the weekend I proceeded with the normal grey primer. This step might not strictly be necessary, but I just wanted a barrier between the acid etch and the base colour coat. 2 coats of that went without any problems. I've learnt primer is pretty easy to spray as you can get away with applying it quite heavy before it runs.

Click image to enlarge

The basecoat colour, clearcoat and some better quality thinner turned up today so I was impatient to crack on. I ordered all this stuff from paints4U.com who do colour mixed to your requirements. I went with 500ml industrial acrylic mica basecoat (I don't think they are allowed to sell it for automotive use by law). I hope that'll be enough because it's not cheap.

I bought some Lechler thinner so I didn't have to use the funny coloured Tetrosyl stuff I've been using.

The clear coat is U-Pol 1k Clear which as far as I can tell is one of the better acrylic laquers. It wont be as good as 2k but this isn't a concourse restoration job. I think it's what would usually be used by smart repairers.

Click image to enlarge

I managed to get the garage up to 20c before starting the job in the hope that would speed the flash off times. This job has probably cost me the price of a good respray in electricity trying to heat the garage at this time of year.

Click image to enlarge

On with the spraying. I was a bit nervous as once the basecoat is mixed 50:50 with thinner, it seems very watery and I'm thinking this is going to run everywhere if I'm not careful. I did a quick flash over followed by two proper coats. I don't think I left long enough between the coats and got a fairly big run at the top left which I'll have to sort. Overall it looks ok, but it has got a slight orange peel to it. Need to do some research to figure out how to reduce that. I'll flat the basecoat back once it gone hard in a couple of days and go again.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #821099 24th Mar 2020 10:52pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
If anyone has any advice on the orange peel, let me know. I don't want to get to the clear coat stage until I've found a solution. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #821102 24th Mar 2020 10:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234