Home > V8 > Belt routing correct?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PFS

United States 1994 Defender 90 V8 Petrol HT Coniston Green
Belt routing correct?
Hey guys,

What is the original belt configuration of the 3.9 V8 in the '94 NAS Defenders? Is it correct in the pics? The alignment of all of the belts is not right and looks like because of that, the grooves on the power steering pump pulley look to be all worn off. The motor was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago, but the pulleys have about 140,000 miles on them.

You can kind of see it's not a straight line between pulleys and the belts don't sit on the pulleys evenly.

It just doesn’t seem to make sense the way it’s set up now. The crank pulleys are different sizes and therefore drive the power steering pulley at different speeds.

Thanks for any help.

Pete

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #812418 29th Jan 2020 4:30am
PFS

So I'm guessing that my post count isn't high enough to enable me to post pictures. I'm not sure how many it is, but this will add one!
Post #812494 29th Jan 2020 3:16pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
You need to click/tap the pics to add them to your post Smile

I've done it for you now Thumbs Up Thumbs Up  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #812495 29th Jan 2020 3:20pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Re: Belt routing correct?
PFS wrote:
What is the original belt configuration of the 3.9 V8 in the '94 NAS Defenders? Is it correct in the pics? The alignment of all of the belts is not right and looks like because of that, the grooves on the power steering pump pulley look to be all worn off. The motor was rebuilt about 15,000 miles ago, but the pulleys have about 140,000 miles on them.

You can kind of see it's not a straight line between pulleys and the belts don't sit on the pulleys evenly.

It just doesn’t seem to make sense the way it’s set up now. The crank pulleys are different sizes and therefore drive the power steering pulley at different speeds.

It isn't a very clean solution - but it is correct for a 94 NAS.

The alternator drive belt runs over the PAS pulley guide wheel and takes its drive from the crank pulley. This wheel doesn't need grooves to grip, it simply guides the belt and over time the belt. If I recall that pulley is smooth from new - it looks like the belt has made an impression on the wheel over 140,000 miles!

True, the crank pulleys are different sizes - but so is the PAS pulley which runs at the same ratio - so they run at a similar if not the same speed.

What looks out is you ancillary mounts and adjustment - the alternator belt looks like its been adjusted outwards to compensate for belt stretch. Have you tried renewing the belts lately? Check the mounts, bolts and the alternator mounts haven't become bent/oval over time. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #812511 29th Jan 2020 5:11pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Definitely need to realign the alternator as it won't be doing the bearings any good with that amount of side load. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #812521 29th Jan 2020 6:12pm
PFS

Awesome. Thanks for the help with the pics and the belt situation. The belts have about 10k miles on them, but I'll replace. Now that I know that this is in fact correct, we can realign as necessary. It always made an odd sound when it was humid out and now that the motor is out of the truck, I can better see why.

I'm getting the frame replaced with galvy as the old one was all tweaked and twisted. I cut it up yesterday with a plasma cutter and when I got through on the first cut, the whole frame sprung about two inches.

Click image to enlarge
Post #812603 29th Jan 2020 10:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1