↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New defender first thoughts, hands on
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
New defender first thoughts, hands on
So went to ascot Land Rover with my boss last night who’s got one on allocation / order and is first in line.

He’s spec’d a first edition with adventure pack so 2.0l 240bhp with as many gadgets as he could get.

I have to say it wasn’t bad or at least he sales rep was doing a good job of selling it at least.

Must say rear space is a bit lacking in comparison with our old style ones, but leg room for up front and second row seating is much appreciated upgrade. But this compromises up front visibility quite a bit as it substitutes the commercial seating method of being high up for a more sporty reclined feel, but sideways vision is better.

Feels pretty rigid in side and doesn’t feel flimsy or weak and is apparently made to be hosed out.

Unfortunately what they had wasn’t available for test drive? Don’t know whether this is because it isn’t registered or whether it’s because the same reason that Dacias have their towing eyes attached at dealerships.

My boss personally didn’t like the placement of the automatic drive selector as to him it was a bit like a transit... but appreciates auto as he has an auto Ashcroft TDCI.

It actually resulted him putting in an order for a 300hp one at that viewing as the first edition only comes in 240hp...

I actually think that he will ultimately regret it, as he quite likes his blingy everything including the kitchen sink aftermarket stuff...

That and the fact that he’s has his defenders so that he doesn’t get a massive depreciation and that is yet to be seen.

Personally I’m impressed but I think I’ll wait and see how they hold up and hold out for a 90... I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #810651 17th Jan 2020 9:40am
Ranger 6

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Rimini Red
I was there last night too - can't say much more than has already been posted on many forums.

It's an SUV now, a family car, rather than a really versatile vehicle. I was amused by all the extras that was loaded on the thing - side steps, roof rack, cubby box, the folding tow bar, which looks exactly the same as on my X3, and that's been replaced under warranty as it broke, using a bike rack! Laughing

I'd be happy to have a 90, but for now I still prefer the performance model in other brands - I know, leave my keys behind at the door...... For 300bhp I'd still rather keep to BMW or try a Macan. My current 35d is a stonking car with decent performance - I'm not sure the defender would be able to compete in on-road dynamics. Off-road is a different matter of course.

I liked the way they had a couple off series and a 90 to show the evolution.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 90 V8 CSW - 1988
Post #810655 17th Jan 2020 9:56am
diduan

Bulgaria 
It looks really low on these pictures and the side steps make it look even more street biased. Defender 110 SW MY2011 2.4tdci decat, no EGR
Jeep Wrangler YJ 1990 4.0. Front 78' Dana 60, Rear CUCV 14 bolt
Post #810672 17th Jan 2020 10:50am
nidge n

Re: New defender first thoughts, hands on
OsloBlue wrote:
So went to ascot Land Rover with my boss last night who’s got one on allocation / order and is first in line.

He’s spec’d a first edition with adventure pack so 2.0l 240bhp with as many gadgets as he could get.

I have to say it wasn’t bad or at least he sales rep was doing a good job of selling it at least.

Must say rear space is a bit lacking in comparison with our old style ones, but leg room for up front and second row seating is much appreciated upgrade. But this compromises up front visibility quite a bit as it substitutes the commercial seating method of being high up for a more sporty reclined feel, but sideways vision is better.

Feels pretty rigid in side and doesn’t feel flimsy or weak and is apparently made to be hosed out.

Unfortunately what they had wasn’t available for test drive? Don’t know whether this is because it isn’t registered or whether it’s because the same reason that Dacias have their towing eyes attached at dealerships.

My boss personally didn’t like the placement of the automatic drive selector as to him it was a bit like a transit... but appreciates auto as he has an auto Ashcroft TDCI.

It actually resulted him putting in an order for a 300hp one at that viewing as the first edition only comes in 240hp...

I actually think that he will ultimately regret it, as he quite likes his blingy everything including the kitchen sink aftermarket stuff...

That and the fact that he’s has his defenders so that he doesn’t get a massive depreciation and that is yet to be seen.

Personally I’m impressed but I think I’ll wait and see how they hold up and hold out for a 90...

What was the total value of the order if you dont mind me asking?
Post #810684 17th Jan 2020 11:50am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
diduan wrote:
It looks really low on these pictures and the side steps make it look even more street biased.

Its in Access hight to allow easier entrance and exit. Thumbs Up
Post #810714 17th Jan 2020 2:56pm
Tim in Scotland

If you watch the video Naks posted earlier today you can see just how high it is at offroad height as one passenger in one car near the end of the video nearly falls out of the car it is so high off the ground! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #810734 17th Jan 2020 5:35pm
LCJ

Think I saw the same car in Inchcape Guildford today. It confirmed my thoughts from first time I saw it at Goodwood - it’s very plasticky, and lots of it doesn’t feel like it will last. I got in the drivers seat using the windscreen pillar as I do on my 110 and it lifted up. The boot is also very small compared to what I’m used too.

It’s looks have grown on me but the desire to have one hasn’t!
Post #810782 17th Jan 2020 10:38pm
Gloucesternige

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Keswick Green
I love the look of it personally, but have not yet seen one in the flesh. I too would certainly wait for the 90.

However.. depreciation would be a big concern for me as i hear of so many people saying,"why did they call it Defender"? It's not a Defender in any way shape or form other than it has four wheels. I also worry that after 3 years it will be worthless as the cost of diagnosing and fixing all the electrnics will be very off putting for most in the used car market.

Saying that, I will probably get one... Nige

Check out my You Tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/Defender90KeswickNigelsLandRoverchannel
Post #810790 17th Jan 2020 11:15pm
Ranger 6

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Rimini Red
Gloucesternige wrote:
....Saying that, I will probably get one...

Me too... Cool 90 V8 CSW - 1988
Post #810795 18th Jan 2020 12:25am
LCJ

Gloucesternige wrote:
I love the look of it personally, but have not yet seen one in the flesh. I too would certainly wait for the 90.

However.. depreciation would be a big concern for me as i hear of so many people saying,"why did they call it Defender"? It's not a Defender in any way shape or form other than it has four wheels. I also worry that after 3 years it will be worthless as the cost of diagnosing and fixing all the electrnics will be very off putting for most in the used car market.

Saying that, I will probably get one...

Sales guy last night was saying that financing options are live on LR website, so JLR have made some predictions about residuals it seems. Whether that bears out in reality I don’t think I would want to be the first to find out!
Post #810807 18th Jan 2020 8:14am
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Is it still there this weekend? I might have to pop over and have a look?
Post #810824 18th Jan 2020 9:59am
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Depreciation is unlikely to be an issue for me as if I could afford to buy one I tend to keep cars 10+ years to truly offset the carbon emissions in buying a new car every 3 years Wink
Post #810833 18th Jan 2020 11:10am
LCJ

LandymanStefan wrote:
Is it still there this weekend? I might have to pop over and have a look?

Don’t know I’m afraid. It seems to be busy!
Post #810844 18th Jan 2020 2:19pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1