↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Hydraulic PTO winching
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lrtd5

Hydraulic PTO winching
Hi All,

I’m hoping there are a few professional hydraulic people in this forum as a have a few questions.

Specifically on the following topics:

Hydraulic Pump on the PTO
I’m moving my pump from the crank to the PTO. As I have more room I’m considering an upgrade from 26cc to either 36cc or 63cc mainly to offset the speed loss in 1st and 2nd gear (winching and driving assist).
Any pros and cons? What is the expert advise? What about the power needed to run a bigger pump?

Hydraulic Tank
Currently I have an oil tank of 8ltr which for self recovery and the odd garden work has worked well. However with a pump upgrade would this still be sufficient? Any pros or cons? What do the experts say?

Hydraulic Cooling
As I understand the bigger the pump the more heat and cavitation is generated. Would an oil cooler offset my relatively small tank in this regard. Possibly also increasing the tank volume although ever so slightly.

Hydraulic Filtration
I currently do not have a filter in place (was not sold to me in the kit I purchased new). Is this a big mistake? What do the experts say?

I’m not looking to rebuild my system completely just trying to evaluate what my options are and what I definitely need to take into consideration. I’m a very happy hydraulic winches so not looking to hear about electric winches.

Cheers Chris
Post #810569 16th Jan 2020 5:55pm
Silvertoolbox

United Kingdom 
Hi Chris,
Just a thought, in 4th gear, then you have the same RPM as the front. Only complication is the rotation being reversed (not good for some pumps).

I'd hope you don't get cavitation, very bad for your pump.

Mine has PTO shaft driven Superwinch. Nicer if it was hydraulic. Ex scottish & southern 110 Td5 van (shed) with PTO driven winch (L-R special vehicles)
Before that, Disco 1, Freelander 1, 26105382 80" with a 1600cc (not much slower)
Post #810745 17th Jan 2020 7:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1