↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > pension
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
pension
hi guys I am 55 in just over a year I have a pension that I don't pay into not for about 27 years do I take the money and run or leave it its worth about 40k in total . I am asking as I am getting more confused the more I look into it I know I can have 25percent tax free but what if I take the lot Question
Post #810544 16th Jan 2020 3:02pm
Snowy90

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Fuji White
Im sure someone with pensions experience will be along soon and of course its upto you to make the decision.

You haven't said if you need the money ie i assume you have other sources of income?

This will in my mind help you to determine what level of risk you can afford to take.

But my view on such matters and its only my view. Is there will almost certainly be better returns to be had from funds or Stocks n Shares ISA's but they all come with risk which may be greater than just leaving the money where it is.

£20-40k would buy a nice defender, which shouldn't lose money and can be enjoyed or it could be a deposit for a buy to let depending on where you are, locking up the money but with some income and hopefully some capital gain in years to come.

My general view is spread your bets leave some in the pension and re-invest some somewhere else.

Just ask a professional who can assess your appetite for risk.

Im sure you have thought about all of these routes but just my opinion.
Post #810551 16th Jan 2020 3:28pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
If you are only 55 leave it in 40k in five or ten years time will be a lot more. I had a similar dilemma a few years ago and decided to leave it in the Prudential pot. Wow! I am so glad I did my pot increased substantially over the time I left it.

Leaving your Pension pot investment with the pension provider is a lot better than trying to earn more through Stocks or Isa's. And remember once you take the money out it can affect your Tax payment For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #810554 16th Jan 2020 3:38pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
Although you can usually take 25% tax free, the remainder may incur a tax charge, possibly pushing you into a higher tax bracket. The withdrawal, if this is your choice , does not have to be all at once, it can be spread over several years depending on your own personal circumstances
Do nothing in haste. Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #810574 16th Jan 2020 6:36pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
Hi Have a look here.

https://www.pensionwise.gov.uk/en

You can make an appointment to speak to an advisor. I called last year and got some really good unbiased advice. Thumbs Up 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #810590 16th Jan 2020 7:33pm
Slideywindows

England 
Is this your only pension fund, or do you have others?

Will you be relying on this and the State pension when you retire?

Or is it money you can play with?

Very difficult for amateurs to advise, especially with the limited info you've given.

If this money really matters, get an initial, probably free, consultation with an IFA.

Or if you think there is any possibility of a divorce in the future, spend the blxxdy lot before she gets her hands on it!

(Ask me how I know.......)
Post #810603 16th Jan 2020 9:29pm
Joe the Plumber

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 HT Fuji White
My wife decided to take her pension pot at 55 a few years back. Here it is (the green one):

Click image to enlarge

Of course this may not be a suitable thing for you to do with yours, but don't forget you've still got to live long enough to take your pension, so you might want to enjoy it now rather than die rich....

Just a thought.
Post #810604 16th Jan 2020 9:29pm
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
just to be clear I have a work pension as well witch is doing ok I have been paying in 29 years as for a divorce
who knows but have been bitten once before 66k . it may be best left where it is if I ever need the money its there its not grown much this year but has in the past . thanks for your advice everyone its apricated Smile
Post #810681 17th Jan 2020 11:46am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
This might help: https://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk...h-lump-sum

Personally, I'd transfer it into a cheap SIPP, then into global tracker, but depends what other investments you have.
Post #810695 17th Jan 2020 1:25pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Agree with AMBxx
Assume it's a defined benefits pension you have?
They should be able to tell you what you can take as cash (i.e. the 25% you suggest) and then what to do with the rest
Sounds like I have one similar to yours. I just has an Advisor look at it, and mine's best just taking the annual pension, the sums for moving the DB pension, or taking the lump sum just don;t add-up.
With DB pensions, I guess it basically depends how long you intend to live once you start taking the pension!!!!!
My Dad retired mid-50's and still on DB pension at 89 - he definitely had his money's worth
Many don;t last that long, so the DB providor cashes-in as it is limited on it's value after your death (a spouse can usually get 50% of the annual value but that's about it!) Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #810703 17th Jan 2020 2:20pm
Swine&Small

United Kingdom 
My own choice was a drawdown pension. I take as little or as much as I require each year within , of course, the parameters of the fund and your optimism on life expectancy.
I have been doing this since 1996 when I retired. It is a more risky than an annuity but even allowing for the financial crash of 2007/9 , I still have a pension pot of more than twice what I started with in '96.
It all depends upon your ability to manage a SIPP, have a decent fund manager and your ability to weather the inevitable setbacks and not to be panicked by short term corrections.
Good luck with whatever you choose Thumbs Up 1983 Series 3 Pick up in Marine Blue
1967 Morris Traveller
1966 Morris Convertible
2012 VW T5 Camper
Quod Abundat Non Obstat.
Post #810717 17th Jan 2020 3:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1