Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Toyota "can't compete" against Mini
LOL

Click image to enlarge

"Toyota claims its Hilux 4x4 "can't compete" with the X-raid-built Mini John Cooper Works Buggy on the Dakar Rally and that a rule change is needed to level the playing field between the two cars.
At the halfway point of the first-ever Saudi Arabia-based edition of the legendary rally-raid, X-raid Mini driver Carlos Sainz Sr enjoys a seven-minute advantage over defending event winner Nasser Al-Attiyah's Toyota.

X-raid's pair of Mini JCW Buggies, driven by Sainz and Stephane Peterhansel, have won the last four stages between them, while Toyota has taken only one victory so far with its quartet of factory-entered cars, which went to Giniel de Villiers on Stage 2.

Toyota Gazoo Racing boss Glyn Hall told selected media, including Motorsport.com, that he considers it unfair that the FIA ​​has kept the regulations frozen regarding air restrictors after analysing data from the past Dakar.

Effective from summer 2018, the FIA reduced the air restrictor diameter for 4x4s with a petrol engine from 38mm to 37, while maintaining those of turbocharged diesel engines: 39mm for cars with a single turbo, like the Mini, and 38 for cars with two turbos, like the Peugeot.

"I've been telling the FIA ​​for a while: when Peugeot was there everything was quite balanced, but then in 2018 they reduced the air restrictor by 1mm," Hall said. "That means about 40 minutes at the end of the rally. It's frustrating to have to fight against this.

"The drivers get out of the car and tell me that they can't compete against them [the Mini buggies] in terms of straight line speed, that they pass easily."

X-raid Mini boss Sven Quandt brushed off any claims that his buggies enjoyed a significant advantage when speaking to Motorsport.com.

"The problem with Glyn is that he is always crying," said Quandt. "He was crying last year when they were winning and now, when he is behind, he cries. [He does it] at the FIA ​​meetings too.

"He is not being realistic. We can see we are separated by a single minute after 470km; what is the problem? If we see the last days, we talk about two minutes, one minute, one-and-a-half... there is no problem with the air restrictors. We are super-balanced."

Click image to enlarge

On Friday, Fernando Alonso suggested that the Mini buggies "are in another league", while Toyota teammate Al-Attiyah made it clear that he believes the buggy is "too fast".

"We don't need more power, but there is a big difference between the 4x4 and the two-wheel drive cars," added the Qatari. "Today everyone was passing by, I could not keep up.

"I am sure that next year there will be a change in the regulations because some other manufacturers will come with a 4x4 to the Dakar and that will help a lot."

For his part, rally leader Sainz was restrained when asked what he thought about the complaints of Al-Attiyah and the Toyota camp.

"When they won in Morocco with 15 or 20 minutes of advantage nobody protested," he said. "They also won the Dakar last year and here they are six or seven minutes [behind].

"I think it is quite equal. We have worked, we have improved the car during this last year and we have been able to show it."
https://www.motorsport.com/dakar/news/toyo...h/4650283/
Post #809859 11th Jan 2020 5:44pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
This always happens when the rule makers try to balance performance to make different types of vehicle equal. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #809865 11th Jan 2020 6:24pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
I'd rather have a HiLux Active DC or AC35 than a mini for laning!
Post #809876 11th Jan 2020 9:01pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I don't suppose either the Mini or the Toyota share any similarities, other than the name badge, to the road going vehicles Whistle

Good old Eurosport seem to be doing coverage again - bless them. Haven't seen a jot on the BBC Sport website.

I like the trucks and much respect to the bikes and quads. Must be hard enough to do in a car or truck but the bikes and quads, those people are a different breed Bow down
Post #809878 11th Jan 2020 9:18pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
They are and then you get the "Malle moto" nutters that do it on bikes with NO support............

Hero's
Post #809879 11th Jan 2020 9:19pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
The Dakar, I wasn't even sure it was still running.
It's years since the route was moved and almost everyone lost interest.

In Motorsport there's always someone complaining, once another team spots a loophole and takes advantage.
If you can't stand the heat, as the saying goes.
Or stick to the production car classes. No one really thinks a buggy is anything like a showroom car you can actually buy.

At the height of the event (late 80s/early 90s) the "support" trucks were amazing, keeping up with the field, almost embarrassing the cars at times.
Good old days! Very Happy
Post #809880 11th Jan 2020 9:31pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
It moved across to South America some years back and then new for this year its in Saudi.........
Post #809881 11th Jan 2020 9:40pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
The crazy supporters from South America are certainly missed from the coverage I have seen so far.

The location shots are pretty but to remove the supporters i am not sure is a good move especially as the TV coverage is so limited.

Reminds me of when the UCI road race first took place in the Middle East, no supporters and certainly no women on the course.

PS, Santa, if I am good this year (stop laughing) can I have a Kamaz truck please Very Happy
Post #809884 11th Jan 2020 10:53pm
gazman

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 HT Alpine White
I know it's not good for motorsport having one team dominate, but I hate Toyota hilux's and love seeing the buggys Censored all over em.
I drive a 2017 one in work and it's a unreliable bag of Censored and a wretched horrible thing as was the nissan nivara it replaced.

Genuinely I have no idea where the Japanese reliability myth came from, guess it was owners of them trying to big them up.
I'm not saying my defender is more reliable, just the jap stuff is equally as bad. 2014 - current ..... 2003 defender td5 90 (my car)
2009 - current .... 2005 zx10r
Post #809892 12th Jan 2020 6:29am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
I had a near new Hilux at work a couple of years ago, lovely to drive and very comfortable, but awful for reliability. Kept getting jammed in 4wd and low range, the windscreen wipers literally fell apart, and that's on a year-end vehicle! It was good off road though even on road biased tyrea, but absolutely devoid of character. Had it not had stupid niggles you could see why you might want one for over landing though. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #809895 12th Jan 2020 7:25am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supacat

90 Dreamer wrote:
They are and then you get the "Malle moto" nutters that do it on bikes with NO support............

Hero's

Have they been rebranded as "Originals" now?
Post #809910 12th Jan 2020 11:48am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I'm currently based in Riyadh so went to spectate Stage 6. I didn't realise how far away the spectator zone was from my accommodation so unfortunately missed the bikes, quads and 'cars' and only caught the trucks. Great afternoon out none the less.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #809920 12th Jan 2020 12:58pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
How much time have these events got left before they are dropped by sponsors or switched to electric? Bit of a carbon footprint headache to massage away via PR or adapt and overcome.
Post #809921 12th Jan 2020 1:18pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I love rally raid. These types of events seem to be going strong. There is the Africa Eco Race which gets telly coverage too and you got the Morocco Desert Challenge as well.They are all largely amateur events so I’d imagine the entry fees cover the bulk of the cost with not much reliance on sponsorship for the organisers.

Battery vehicles don’t yet have anything like the endurance for this type of sport yet. There is an electric rally raid series of races coming from the inventors of Formula E with a strong eco element to it, but I’d be surprised if they are much more than sprint races at least for the first few years. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #809931 12th Jan 2020 1:52pm
Supacat

It's already been done:

"The 100% EcoPowered has become the only zero-emissions vehicle ever to complete the Dakar Rally, overcoming the hardest-ever version of the race yet to take place in South America. It has also become the first electric vehicle to twice complete another FIA world championship race, the Morocco Rally in 2015 and 2016."

" The story of ACCIONA 100% EcoPowered is one of reaching milestone after milestone, encapsulating what ACCIONA is all about. The Company was a pioneer in manufacturing the first zero-emissions vehicle to compete in the 2015 Dakar Rally, powered 100% by clean energy: that is electric batteries. Second time around, the car made a further leap forward in completing 10 out of the 13 stages that make up the rally and becoming the fifth most media-followed vehicle in the race.

In its third Dakar, the toughest version of the rally yet to be held in South America, the ACCIONA car came full circle, becoming the first electric vehicle ever to complete from start to finish the most demanding test of a motor car on the planet."

https://www.acciona.com/about-acciona/spon...red-dakar/

I believe there's other electric vehicles running in this year's event, although maybe just for single stages.
Post #809934 12th Jan 2020 3:05pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>