↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Magic carpet ride
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Magic carpet ride
I needed to ferry my Mum back and forth as she came to stay with us for a week - she is struggling to come to terms with being on her own so a bit of tlc and a change of scene needed. She is in Coggeshall, Essex and we are in Worcestershire, so not on the doorstep! When I went to pick her up I took Mrs H's Audi, which sits at 2000rpm at 80, returns 45mpg and given the lack of traffic I did the out and return leg in 2h 29 and 2h 30 respectively, which is pleasing for 175 miles. However, my back doesn't like the driving position in the A4, so I decided to take the P38 when I took Mum home this weekend. Cruise control on at 70, it took 2h 45 both ways. The improvements on the A14 / M6 junction are great. Obviously I went through a 'bit' more fuel (the trip computer said we averaged 18.3 mpg) but I hopped out of the car feeling absolutely fine. Offset the extra fuel cost against a physio session (which I can't get now) and it seemed like a good idea!

The P38 would definitely benefit from another gear, it is doing 2500 rpm at 70, but the cabin and road noise (even with grabber AT tyres) is absolutely fine. I need to get the original stereo able to connect to my phone, the radio waffle was grim. Always something to do....
Post #840410 29th Jun 2020 10:38am
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I like the thinking of offsetting the fuel against physio session Thumbs Up
Post #840411 29th Jun 2020 10:41am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1