Home > Td5 > Couple of questions!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
rich_allen

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Coniston Green
Couple of questions!
Afternoon all,

I'm new to the TD% defenders having recently picked up my first one.
Its a 2002 face lift basic van (Ex Farm Truck)

I was under the impression that they were all pre-wired for rear speakers but cant seem to find any wires?
I also ordered new door switches for the interior light and I don't have one on the back door, the hole is present etc just no switch or wire. Is this normal? Am I going to have to run my own?

Lastly... lol... for now... Has anyone retro fitted central locking and electric windows to a basic spec one. Hoping to do this with OEM wiring etc.

Most uncomfortable thing i've ever driven but i love it.. lol

Cheers Rich
Post #809179 7th Jan 2020 12:56pm
4RF RDS

Canada 2000 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Epsom Green
Speaker wires are not likely present, rear door light switch wires are also not likely present, power door locks and windows will require new wiring to be added. All this is actually fairly simple to do. Its just a bit of a PITA. I installed windows and door locks on my 2000 MY 110. It took me about four hours for all four door locks to wire them in.

It took about three hours total for two front door power window installs. When you do pull your door panels, and roof liner its a good idea to install sound deadener (butyl with aluminum backing). Glue it onto door skins and roof, this really reduces resonance and makes driving more pleasurable.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction. Thumbs Up 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
2003 Range Rover Mk III (Desmond FitzWilliam)
2000 Defender 110 CSW TD5 (CTX)
1992 Range Rover Classic (Lizzy)
1972 Series III 300 Tdi (Stanwood)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
H. L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
Post #809181 7th Jan 2020 1:15pm
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
First, get hold of the wiring diagram for the 2002 MY Td5.
You can search the forums and find it.

If you look inside the driver side seat box, you should see a purple / blue wire with a white 3 pin female plug, which is not connected to anything, you can use that to connect to the rear door switch as the 10AS unit treats all other doors as the same other than the driver door. looking at the wiring diagram, you will see that it's all T off from one wire.

If you have the farmer spec 10AS like what I have, you can open up the box and solder an NEC EP2-3N1S relay in it. You can then find that the large PCB tracks go to pin 2 and 3. If you have the connectors pins for those, you can insert them into the plug, if not drill a small hole on the side and solder 2 wires out. This will then be used to drive the lock motors.

They run parallel to ALL doors. all you now need is a lock actuator motor in each door to push the lock up or down.

The power windows are easy to fit, buy the original or OEM (avoid BrittleParts) electric motor winder assembly. Just swap that in. You will need 2 wires to that.

You can source for the original power window switches and the correct connectors (yes, they are a little hard to find) and then wire them up to a 20amp fuse. LR diagram says 20amps circuit to each window, but so far i've both motors on the same 20amp circuit and it's fine.

Next you will need a Nanocom or similar to program the 10AS to enable the alarm and learn the plips, after which it should work correctly.

I also added the bonnet switch and ultrasonic sensor which i bought of ebay. So the entire conversion is possible vs having to buy the option for another 1.5k quid when i ask the stealership. From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #809201 7th Jan 2020 2:53pm
4RF RDS

Wow! Excellent detailed answer Thumbs Up

Also of the OP wants aN electrical pdf manual, PM me with an email address I’ll send one.

Cheers. 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
1967 MGB GT

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Post #809202 7th Jan 2020 3:12pm
rich_allen

Thanks for the replies!,

Will start my search for parts!

I bought it with the intention of leaving it as a battered farm truck... I've managed to spend 3k in 2 weeks repacing bits and upgrading... Rolling with laughter Its worse than a drug addiction....
Post #809203 7th Jan 2020 3:13pm
dorsetsmith

1. rear speakers wiring (export only and not Hard top 90 or 110 )

Click image to enlarge

see two relays right hand side left hand one is for door locking if need to add relay and or fobs https://www.technozen-electronics.co.uk/la...-services/

3. rear door switch you will need to run wires for the switch and or add lighting, gray plug at the top driver side A puller under head lining

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by dorsetsmith on 7th Jan 2020 3:57pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #809208 7th Jan 2020 3:23pm
4RF RDS

If your 10AS unit does not have the door lock relay here’s how to set it up. My 2000 MY did not have it. Been working greta for five years now.

https://la7dja.org/defender/cdl/ 2010 Range Rover MkIII Autobiography Super Charged (Idris)
1967 MGB GT

Post #809213 7th Jan 2020 3:47pm
doublecabjon

United Kingdom 
achuakh wrote:
First, get hold of the wiring diagram for the 2002 MY Td5.
You can search the forums and find it.

If you look inside the driver side seat box, you should see a purple / blue wire with a white 3 pin female plug, which is not connected to anything, you can use that to connect to the rear door switch as the 10AS unit treats all other doors as the same other than the driver door. looking at the wiring diagram, you will see that it's all T off from one wire.

If you have the farmer spec 10AS like what I have, you can open up the box and solder an NEC EP2-3N1S relay in it. You can then find that the large PCB tracks go to pin 2 and 3. If you have the connectors pins for those, you can insert them into the plug, if not drill a small hole on the side and solder 2 wires out. This will then be used to drive the lock motors.

They run parallel to ALL doors. all you now need is a lock actuator motor in each door to push the lock up or down.

The power windows are easy to fit, buy the original or OEM (avoid BrittleParts) electric motor winder assembly. Just swap that in. You will need 2 wires to that.

You can source for the original power window switches and the correct connectors (yes, they are a little hard to find) and then wire them up to a 20amp fuse. LR diagram says 20amps circuit to each window, but so far i've both motors on the same 20amp circuit and it's fine.

Next you will need a Nanocom or similar to program the 10AS to enable the alarm and learn the plips, after which it should work correctly.

I also added the bonnet switch and ultrasonic sensor which i bought of ebay. So the entire conversion is possible vs having to buy the option for another 1.5k quid when i ask the stealership.

Excellent post. Thank you also for this.
Post #809259 7th Jan 2020 7:46pm
NineCherries

Scotland 2000 Defender 110 2.5 TD CSW Oslo Blue
fantastic info - thanks, its something I've been considering for my truck. thank you for the info Thumbs Up
Post #809321 8th Jan 2020 10:35am
achuakh

Singapore 2002 Defender 90 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
when buying the alarm fobs make sure you get the correct ones.
there are 433MHz and 315MHz. this is clearly labelled on the white sticker on the front of the 10as green box.

433 seems to be all of UK and 315 is the rest of the world. (not 100% sure though)

However, if you are in a 315 region sometimes if you can find the 433 10as and plips on ebay for a great deal, it's cheaper to buy them and swap out the 10as.

315 10as and plips are harder to come by, i had to buy all the plips new as i didn't find them used on ebay.

your next projects can then be
cruise control
aux battery split charging
power amp for stereo
addition lighting
writing your own ecu maps

all you wanted to do was central locking.....

Rolling with laughter From the land of the most expensive land rover defenders on planet earth. At �125k for a XS 110 csw and you get to own it only for 10yrs! Please find me a good reason to stay on this island.
Post #809340 8th Jan 2020 12:31pm
rich_allen

Big Cry Rolling with laughter
Stereo install is happening this weekend.

Adding rears, new fronts with separate tweeters, slimline sub, 5 channel Class D Amp...
All Pioneer, mated to the new pioneer single din but with large fixed screen head unit....
Thumbs Up
Post #809615 9th Jan 2020 8:32pm
mattc

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 2.5 TD HT Java Black
My 2005 TD5 90 hard top was pre-wired for rear speakers...
Post #809643 10th Jan 2020 6:06am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1