↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Defender Tackles CES With Dual LTE Modems And Over-The-Air U
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Defender Tackles CES With Dual LTE Modems And Over-The-Air U
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/2020-lan...r-updates/

"While the Defender is capable of going to the ends of the earth, the model will keep you connected as it’s the first vehicle equipped with two LTE modems. One of the modems is dedicated to supporting the Software-Over-The-Air feature and this means owners can receive updates will still accessing online content through the infotainment system which uses a separate modem and eSIM.

Speaking of updates, the Defender is even more capable than originally projected. When the model was unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show last year, Land Rover said 14 electronic control modules would be able to receive updates. However, they’ve increased that number to 16 and believe there could have more than 45 modules available before the end of 2021.

When many people thing about automotive technology, they often think about the infotainment system. The Defender uses a 10-inch Pivi Pro system which has Qualcomm technology just like many smartphones. The company says this enables the model to have unprecedented performance and immersive graphics.

While the system uses smartphone technology, it runs Blackberry’s QNX operating system rather than Android. QNX is also used for the digital instrument cluster and it allows drivers to see vehicle instrumentation, navigation instructions or a combination of the two.

Getting back to the infotainment system, it’s always powered up thanks to a dedicated battery. This means long boot times are a thing of the past as the system can respond immediately on startup."
Post #809177 7th Jan 2020 1:47pm
Tim in Scotland

Sometimes the In Control infotainment would shutdown during a journey, it didn’t require it to have a long reboot.......... it required you to stop the engine, switch off the ignition and leave the car to shut down over 10 minutes before it would reboot...... LR’s answer “they are all like that sir” and they did nothing to fix it, just produced an updated system that older versions couldn’t be updated to because hardware components inside the equipment had been changed......... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #809222 7th Jan 2020 5:45pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Press releases like that fill me with dread. Shocked

Now manufacturers don't even have to try to get their software right since they can fiddle with it remotely, and of course so can the criminals.
Post #809240 7th Jan 2020 7:25pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Will the OTA updates just be for stuff like the infotainment system?

Or should we expect a load of bricked ECU's on the sub forum? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #809243 7th Jan 2020 7:43pm
Morepower

New Zealand 
I'm sure I read somewhere that FCA's Over the air update system was hacked and that they had to recall all the vehicles (jeep) to have the software changed... Seem to remember the hackers had worked out how to turn the brake by wire off...
If that's the case... I wonder how long before someone holds LR to ransom...

It does make you wonder

Regards

Tim It doesn't matter how bad it is, It can always get worse...

2013 Bowler 110 (Sold)
2016 Bowler 90 Rally Spec (Sold)
Post #809247 7th Jan 2020 8:00pm
Supacat

As with keyless entry, the criminals will be one step ahead of the manufacturers and as with the DPF issues JLR's responce will be along the lines "you are not parking it properly".
Post #809253 7th Jan 2020 8:14pm
Tim in Scotland

My 2018 built/2019 MY Mini Countryman PHEV has OTA updates.......... they have worked fine for updating the Satnav maps but the HV battery charging system update failed to take OTA - I did get a warning on the dash of a corrupted update and an advisory that I had to take the car into a dealership to do the update successfully. Problem is that the car might be connected but it only works if you are in an area with decent cellular network coverage and a good mobile signal. In the 18 months I’ve owned the car that was also the only visit it has made to a service bay, next (1st) service is in May for an interim free service at 2cyears old/20000 miles. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #809267 7th Jan 2020 9:21pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
There have been some real worries with all things connected to what I believe they call 'The Internet of Things IOT'.

We (usually) put fire walls and anti-virus systems in place which hopefully (sorry Travelex!) keep our computers safe, but it has been widely reported that the things which don't look like computers, but are still connected to the internet, are incredibly vulnerable to hacking.

Vehicles could be an issue, but even things as simple as your fridge. What a PITA that would be if someone decided to turn your fridge temperature up or defrosted it because someone was holding the manufacturer to ransom?

It is only a matter of time before someone manages to get one over on a large motor manufacturer. As Supacat said above, look at the cavalier attitude to security that all manufacturers have been with keyless entry. How many levels of security do you think these people are adding to these systems - if any?
Post #809271 7th Jan 2020 9:46pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i started to read this then realised i had no real working wish to understand it, sorry. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #809273 7th Jan 2020 10:01pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
There are already regular reports albeit not in large numbers of automotive ransomware attacks. It is happening.

Mind you, think of the fun you could have as a hacker making a vegan's smart fridge automatically order an Ocado vanload of steak!
Post #809286 7th Jan 2020 11:41pm
Supacat

Or something less pleasant, Ring seem to have been hit quite hard recently :

"Weirdo Racist Creep Hacks Into Little Girl's Ring Camera, So That's a Thing You Have to Worry About Now"
https://www.popularmechanics.com/technolog...bell-hack/

Morepower wrote:
I'm sure I read somewhere that FCA's Over the air update system was hacked and that they had to recall all the vehicles (jeep) to have the software changed... Seem to remember the hackers had worked out how to turn the brake by wire off...

Regards

Tim

"Jeep hacking lawsuit shifts into gear for trial after US Supremes refuse to hit the brakes"
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/08/j...eme_court/

"the lawsuit has been rumbling through the law courts with the plaintiffs arguing Fiat-Chrysler knew about the problem for three years and failed to fix it, and the car company claiming that since none of the car owners were directly impacted by the hole that they have no right to sue."

Seems the standard adopted by many companies...
Post #809308 8th Jan 2020 8:00am
Naks

South Africa 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
I'm unashamedly a techno-geek, but even I have major reservations about all this tech in a supposedly rugged 4x4/overlander Rolling Eyes --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport V8 Supercharged

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ
Post #809317 8th Jan 2020 10:47am
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
I’ve got to admit, I’m apprehensive about the New Defenders infotainment, it’s over the air updates and as with Most other tech I seem to get anywhere near it’s ability to freeze, crash and burn.

I’m usually pretty OK with these foibles however........ The cavalier attitude of the service departments and their inability to accept ANY form of responsibility including and as mentioned above “they all do it Sir” or my all time favourite ! Your driving the correct vehicle WRONG ? Or The infotainment system isn’t a home PC and shouldn’t be expected to operate like one ! has Left me biting my tongue in excruciating pain more than once !

To avoid any confrontation I now just hand back both sets of keys, service book and log book and walk away !

The last time I rejected a car in relation to Oil Dilution in a Disco 5 the service department cancelled my inspection because they were awaiting an update to allegedly fix the issue, a few days later Black horse finance said they were refusing my rejection claim as the vehicle was not showing any sign of oil dilution ? Which seemed odd as I’d had oil analysed by Millers !
They’d in fact cancelled the diagnostic inspection yet some how come to the conclusion I’d driven the vehicle wrong ! Used it for shopping school runs and commuting, when in fact it drove backwards and forwards to London every week only on long journeys never got shopping or school runs, I was then blamed for not using the vehicle as it was intended and that I hadn’t been using the manual paddles to stimulate the exhaust temperature into activating a regen whilst holding 3rd gear over 5K revs for 20 mins ?

Yet here I am looking at buying another, reading stuff like this always gets my back up because I can relate to the fact that the dealers just fob you off and the manufacturer couldn’t give a monkeys, and as I learnt the finance co and JLR are in it for themselves and couldn’t give a monkeys about the consumer...... DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #809333 8th Jan 2020 12:42pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Re: Defender Tackles CES With Dual LTE Modems And Over-The-A
Supacat wrote:
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/2020-lan...r-updates/

"While the Defender is capable of going to the ends of the earth, the model will keep you connected as it’s the first vehicle equipped with two LTE modems. One of the modems is dedicated to supporting the Software-Over-The-Air feature and this means owners can receive updates will still accessing online content through the infotainment system which uses a separate modem and eSIM.

Speaking of updates, the Defender is even more capable than originally projected. When the model was unveiled at the Frankfurt Motor Show last year, Land Rover said 14 electronic control modules would be able to receive updates. However, they’ve increased that number to 16 and believe there could have more than 45 modules available before the end of 2021.

When many people thing about automotive technology, they often think about the infotainment system. The Defender uses a 10-inch Pivi Pro system which has Qualcomm technology just like many smartphones. The company says this enables the model to have unprecedented performance and immersive graphics.

While the system uses smartphone technology, it runs Blackberry’s QNX operating system rather than Android. QNX is also used for the digital instrument cluster and it allows drivers to see vehicle instrumentation, navigation instructions or a combination of the two.

Getting back to the infotainment system, it’s always powered up thanks to a dedicated battery. This means long boot times are a thing of the past as the system can respond immediately on startup."

There aren't many words in the above that I really understand.
Clearly I'm a luddite but all I need to know about a vehicle is -
How does it perform on and off road?
Is it reasonably comfortable?
Does it do the job I want it to?
Can I afford to buy and, more importantly, run it?
Do I want to look like I've bought a Kia / generic SUV?
Will the electronics mean that in 7 or less years it will be redundant and have 0 resale value? Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #809352 8th Jan 2020 2:43pm
Slideywindows

England 
My Land Rovers are blissfully unaffected by concerns like this.

Reading this thread makes me like them even more.
Post #809456 8th Jan 2020 11:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>