↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Defender TD5_How to shift gears
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Procta wrote:
I found this with the 300 and the same with the TD5, they do not like been rushed up the box at all. my 300 was always notchy in second and was bit of a pig, when cold. Trying to get into second gear. It was just the way the gearbox is, the TD5 is the same too, and can be notch into 3rd if am gearing quick. Due to it been remapped. Just have to pause then change gear, Sort of roll into it.
I think I read somewhere that even a Recon R380 is the same, they are just as notchy. I don't think the RT77 is a notchy unit, as my mum never mentioned anything or even notices.

Yeah mine is a ~3 year old recon that I've put about 30k on. It's always been a bit notchy into 2nd, and can be pretty reluctant when cold, just one of those things!

Planning to try a different oil next time I change it, I had a supply of mtf to use up first
Post #809924 12th Jan 2020 2:27pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
charisme1 wrote:
Procta wrote:
I found this with the 300 and the same with the TD5, they do not like been rushed up the box at all. my 300 was always notchy in second and was bit of a pig, when cold. Trying to get into second gear. It was just the way the gearbox is, the TD5 is the same too, and can be notch into 3rd if am gearing quick. Due to it been remapped. Just have to pause then change gear, Sort of roll into it.
I think I read somewhere that even a Recon R380 is the same, they are just as notchy. I don't think the RT77 is a notchy unit, as my mum never mentioned anything or even notices.

Hi Procta,

Many thanks for this clear reply.

I think that mine was remapped before I bought it, because it can push it in high REVs on low gears when accelerating.

Also, on highway, I can drive it at 130 km/h, with no problem except lots of noise and vibration. So very unpleasant, that's why I don't exceed 110 km/h.

Do you know how can I be sure if it was remapped ? How can I reset it easily to return back to factory program ?

Very many thanks again,

Julien

The only way is to get it plugged in at a dealer or at a decent tuners. They will be able to tell you there and then, and can sort it out. Mine has got a mild remap, but I think that was to help with the Ashcroft transfer box. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #809929 12th Jan 2020 2:49pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
miker wrote:
Procta wrote:

Yeah mine is a ~3 year old recon that I've put about 30k on. It's always been a bit notchy into 2nd, and can be pretty reluctant when cold, just one of those things!

Planning to try a different oil next time I change it, I had a supply of mtf to use up first

I think its just the gearbox, rover gearboxes always had some traits, Like notchy reverse gear, they always used to crunch going into reverse. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #809930 12th Jan 2020 2:51pm
charisme1

France 
Hi

Thank you all for your feedback and replies,

In addition of slow shifting, what is the best oil to avoid this « grinding » feeling ? ATF or MTF94 ?

I live in south of France, so not so cold over here.

Very many Thanks !
Julien
Post #810784 17th Jan 2020 10:41pm
LandymanStefan

England 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Before I bought my landy my sisters husband who used to be in the military described changing gear in the old squaddies landys to be like putting a wooden spoon into a pebble beach and wiggling it around.

I run Granville mtf94 it’s still a little notchy from first to second when cold but for the most part it’s alright. As some of the others are suggesting I might try 75w80 next time round.
Post #810787 17th Jan 2020 10:52pm
charisme1

France 
Hi Landymanstefan,

MTF94 has an equivalent viscosity of 75w80. So not different of what you have now.

Cheers

Julien
Post #810788 17th Jan 2020 10:58pm
Adam17

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
As stated above, your in a truck, not a racecar lol.

I'm no angel when driving, and sometimes I should take my own advice...

I know my truck prefers the slower side of gear changes... Regards
Adam

Loving The Duchess
The Defender 110 TD5 XS

My Defender story - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic64005.html
Post #811905 25th Jan 2020 4:48pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12