↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > On ignition temp gauge goes max and engine will not start.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
pcoote

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
On ignition temp gauge goes max and engine will not start.
My Defender 2.4 puma had not been used for a couple of months. I took the battery out and fully charged it overnight. After putting it back in the engine started first time with no issues. I then had to drive it to Southampton airport to pick my Mrs up. This was about an hour and a quarter drive. I scanned the gauges regularly on the drive as I hadn't driven it for a while, all were on normal. I parked up in the multi storey short stay car park. After an hour of waiting for my Mrs we returned, the engine started momentary but then just died. The starter motor was very strong but just no joy, it was as if I had run out of fuel. I convinced myself the fuel gauge was faulty and I had actually an empty tank and not the half full tank on the gauge. So I walked couple of miles to a fuel station to bring back a gallon of diesel. However it started again but then died like before. I now noticed with the ignition on the second step with the glow plug on the engine temperature gauge went right up to max. I couldn't remember if this always did this before the engine started. Anyway I ended up getting it put on a trailer the next morning to get back home. I took the battery out again and re charged backup over night again as it had been hammered by now. After putting the battery back in I thought I would give it another go. The ignition now on the second step I immediately noticed now the engine temp had not moved up to max like before and the engine started up first time ! So any ideas what happened here. I fear it may happen again.
Post #807346 23rd Dec 2019 5:11pm
dorsetsmith

have read link below

On ignition temp gauge goes max and engine will not start. form LR

https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtZSoWFHDgnGkWWX3oCmmZLsQs5-?e=iHwOzU
Post #807349 23rd Dec 2019 5:20pm
pcoote

Thanks dorsetsmith that sounds spot on. I will check the fault codes tomorrow.
Post #807353 23rd Dec 2019 5:49pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Gauge in the max can mean that the ECU isn’t running - either a crashed ECU as in the LR bulletin, or look at the fuses supplying it.

What year is your Puma?  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #807375 23rd Dec 2019 7:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Sorry can see it’s a 2010  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #807377 23rd Dec 2019 7:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pcoote

Hi Martin,

My ECU has the code 0G182 which according to the service bulletin translates to a manufactring date of 1st July 2010.
So that means it's after the bad batch which were before 14th October 2009.
I noticed when I flashed the Alive tuning back to the original the temp gauge went into the red during the flash and then went back to normal after completing. So as you say this indicates the original problem was ECU related.
I have 4 DTC fault codes 2 which look related to ECU P0606 (Control Module Processor), P068A (ECM/PCM Power Relay De-Energized - Too Early). I did notice when putting the battery in the second time after the breakdown the battery terminals were dry so I smeared on petroleum jelly. Anyway I have not had a repeat incident so far. I'm driving it to the Alps in a few weeks so I'm now feeling nervous.
Post #807869 28th Dec 2019 4:08pm
Fabio

Portugal 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I had this happen to mine yesterday.
Under the drivers seat there is a few relays , If you unplug the second from last towards the back and clean it, it will be fine.
I did buy cleaner and cleaned it as well.
It is fine now.

Fabio
Post #807889 28th Dec 2019 7:29pm
PDX-VTE

2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
My 2010 had the same symptoms (temp gauge max out and no start) and it would eventually start after a few tries. It would takes more and more tries before the glow plug light comes on, until about a month ago the ECU completely gave up. I had the ECU replaced with a NNN501630, like in the service bulletin, and it starts right up, temp gauge doesn’t go to max and glow plug light comes on like it should. My VIN number was after the supposedly affected vehicles, and so was the production date on the bad ECU, it was after the “bad batch.” I am in Laos and parts are spendy, that is why I was reluctant to replace the ECU over a year ago when I first bought the vehicle. But after a year of not starting right away and starting immediately, I wish I would have replaced it sooner.
Post #810325 15th Jan 2020 11:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1