↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Most capable Defender?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Most capable Defender?
I keep reading claims that the new Defender is the most capable ever but I'm not convinced that's true. At least practically speaking.
Off-road it may be able to do more but I wonder how many owners will ever test out those limits. Off-road my Puma does everything I ask of it but I'm more likely to run out of talent and courage before it gets out of it's depth. The new one's off road claims just seem a bit Top Trumps to me. A bit like a watch waterproof to 200m that will never go deeper than the far end of the local swimming pool.
I was hoping 'more capable' would also mean larger boot space, more versatile etc. but the new one seems to have a smaller boot and is basically restricted to one body style so unable to perform the numerous tasks and functions expected of Series and Defenders. I believe towing capacity hasn't improved either.

So is the new Defender actually more capable or is it just better, theoretically, off-road? WARNING.
This post may contain sarcasm.
Post #806242 15th Dec 2019 12:11am
J77

Scotland 
According to LR USA it can tow 8201 lbs which is 3.7t roughly.
Post #806248 15th Dec 2019 1:44am
King Luis

Canada 
i'd say "more capable" is a marketing word to a point. is it better than most competitors, yes. is it more capable than them, yes. so using the word isn't wrong. does the design and other requirements hold back on some of the capabilities? for sure. interior space might be down versus the old defender, but safety is leaps and bounds better. so is overall performance and comfort.
what is the trunk space difference between the old 110 and new 110?
Post #806475 16th Dec 2019 4:58pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
I wouldn’t be surprised if the D5 doesn’t tow more anyway, so if that claim is correct it’d be fairly immaterial seeing as the D5 “probably” can do more.
I haven’t got the time, interest or inclination to check stats though.

The biggest thing I don’t like about the new Def is how it looks. It could tow 8T for all I care but I just don’t care for it at all. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #806480 16th Dec 2019 6:20pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
The traditional...old...whatever...Defender could tow 4 tonnes with coupled brakes. So a drop down in capability there. Off road I have a funny feeling the old 90 will still be cream of the crop.

As I see it several vehicles were in some ways more capable than a Defender. A unimog for example, even a land cruiser, but I didn't want either of those because there was just something about a Defender. It isnt just down to capability. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #806519 16th Dec 2019 9:49pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
That statement “just something about a defender” certainly sums it up for me completely Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #806528 16th Dec 2019 10:36pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Before the Jeep Gladiator was released Jeep entered the vehicle into the Everyman Challenge at the King Of the Hammers.

It took a beating but it finished the event before the time cut off.

JLR need to come up with something very special to convince us that it is nothing more than a PCP loan mall cruiser. That last video of the vehicle being driven around a flat course that would have been more fun in a 90's Peugeot 205 GTI .

Will we see it at the Rain Forest Trophy? No, will we see it at the Breslau Rally? No. Will we see it driving round Europe in the hands of a telly chief - afraid so.
Post #806539 16th Dec 2019 11:33pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Beyond any LR Off Road experiences, the only place I can imagine these Defenders will be seen ‘properly’ off road, is perhaps in replacing Land Cruisers for luxury sand-dune/desert day trips in Dubai. Maybe. But I cannot see anyone else using such an expensive and complicated car in genuine, far-flung off road adventures when you can use a simpler, likely more reliable and equally comfortable Land Cruiser if you want a newer car, or Defender, if you want to get back to basics. Clearly, Jeep if you’re in N America. By most, this will be used in towns/cities on tarmac. Some might then take it away on weekends and experience a gravel track to access a campsite in Brecon, some grassy fields for their shoot in Suffolk, or some sand on a beach in Devon. The capability this vehicle needs to be to do that type of off roading has probably been far exceeded. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #806560 17th Dec 2019 8:49am
Slideywindows

England 
King Luis wrote:

Old 110.

Click image to enlarge

Old 110.

Click image to enlarge

New 110?

Over to you.....
Post #806705 18th Dec 2019 12:04am
zilch

Australia 
Grenadier wrote:
Beyond any LR Off Road experiences, the only place I can imagine these Defenders will be seen ‘properly’ off road, is perhaps in replacing Land Cruisers for luxury sand-dune/desert day trips in Dubai. Maybe. But I cannot see anyone else using such an expensive and complicated car in genuine, far-flung off road adventures

I can only assume you have not been to or know that there is quite an active group of LR owners and clubs
in Australia who regularly test their D3’s, D4’s and Rangie Soorts in what can be some of the most challenging
conditions. Some organised club trips through to individuals/groups getting to see the lesser explored areas
of Oz. They cope very well and can easily match the Tojo brigade in terms of capability. Noting a lot of the
Tech in the defender is a carry over from the Discovery and RR Sports, Terrain Response +TR2, air
Suspension, I do not think it will have any problem meeting the harsh rigours of the Australian terrain yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #806709 18th Dec 2019 5:09am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
G’day Zilch.

Yes I do know, just as there are owners of D3s/4s/RRS etc in the UK and elsewhere who also enjoy some off-roading. But relative to total owner numbers, especially at the D4/RRS end (the price point of the new Def), they will be few and far between. I would guess single digit percentages. Given the Defender has been THE go-anywhere, do anything model in the LR range for 75 years, a much higher percentage of owner are happy, indeed willing, to do some serious off-roading, whether that be for work or for fun. My point was that the target owner and target price for this new Defender means (IMHO) those numbers will plummet and this vehicle will rarely ever be anywhere close to serious mud or off-road terrain. It purports to be the most capable car/Defender ever, but the vast majority will never, ever be tested as such. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #806717 18th Dec 2019 8:42am
zilch

Australia 
Some salient points G , it would also be interesting to know what percentage of the last of the old
model actually off road or are cosseted away as investments Whistle people are asking stupid prices
for 4 year old Def in Oz, you can get the new model on road for about the same money yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #806726 18th Dec 2019 10:01am
King Luis

Canada 
Slideywindows wrote:
King Luis wrote:

Old 110.

https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...l_1~10.jpg

Old 110.
https://www.defender2.net/gallery/albums/u...4.12~0.JPG

New 110?

Over to you.....

i put twelve eight 2x4x8's in my 4 door gold along with a 4x5 sheet of plywood, a 8inch mitre saw and some other random stuff. maybe the golf is more capable?

the capability of cars these days are leaps and bounds above what anyone can do unless they are an expert in racing/off-roading/etc. so of course the new LRs aren't being brought close to their limits. but most ford focus st or even rs's aren't either. all the porsches you see out there aren't being tracked or pushed either. does that mean they shouldn't be made?

and for the record, an old defender in Canada can range from $40k for rotted and needs work to $150k for a fully restored and modded one. while the new one starts at $50k. bringing purchase price into the matter and the new defender is a bargain versus the old. regardless of what it can or cannot do compared to the old ones or even the new jeeps. (new jeep with similar features is around $45k).
Post #806885 19th Dec 2019 3:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1