↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > life after the Land Rover Defender
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
life after the Land Rover Defender
Rescue organisation tries out new, lighter 4x4 as it considers life after the Land Rover Defender

Click image to enlarge

"A NEW , lighter vehicle is being trialled by the Cave Rescue Organisation as its members come to terms with life after the Land Rover Defender.

The Clapham based voluntary rescue team, currently has three Land Rovers, which famed for their off-road capabilities and storage space are a favourite with voluntary rescue organisations across the country.

The CRO’s white Land Rovers, with their distinctive yellow logos, are a familiar sight as they race to the aid of injured or lost walkers, cyclists and others, in the area of the Yorkshire Three Peaks, Penyghent, Whernside and Ingleborough, and in Malhamdale.

But with the oldest of its vehicles now 14 years old, and with the last of the Defenders rolling off the production line in 2016, the CRO is considering its options.

It says in the short term at least, it has taken delivery of a Honda Pioneer, four seater Utility Terrain Vehicle (UTV) - also known as a ‘side-by-side’ All Terrain Vehicle (ATV), and the cousin of the farmer’s friend, the Honda Polaris.

The team has been able to buy the vehicle, which has come from agricultural machinery dealers, Paxtons of Bentham, thanks to a very generous legacy. It has also been able to buy two equipment trailers, thanks in part to a donation from Ingleton Co-op’s community fundraising scheme.

In a year’s time, it will review its vehicle fleet once again, and make a decision whether the oldest Land Rover will be re-built, or replaced with something with a reduced off-road capacity.

In the meantime, members have been given off-road instruction at the Coniston 4x4 training centre and believe the Pioneer will leave a ‘lighter footprint’ in the some of the area’s more vulnerable paths.

Andy Plimmer, CRO’s training officer and a qualified 4 x 4 driving instructor, said: “CRO members are acutely aware of the potential for causing damage to sensitive routes, particularly with a heavily-loaded 4 x 4, so the Pioneer should be the ideal vehicle for taking a small team rapidly onto the fell and giving patients more immediate care.”

Mr Plimmer also thanked the team at Paxton’s for its patience and help in identifying the right, road-legal vehicle for the rescue team’s needs."

https://www.cravenherald.co.uk/news/180846...-defender/

Interesting ~ my only comment would be classifying all SxS as having" a reduced off road capacity " in relation to a Defender in terms of where it can actually go as opposed to what it can carry.

First of many to go this way?
Post #805123 7th Dec 2019 8:25am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
don't think it would be as capable as a defender however if it saves lives good on them amazing people
Post #805453 9th Dec 2019 12:13pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
Re: life after the Land Rover Defender
Supacat wrote:

Interesting ~ my only comment would be classifying all SxS as having" a reduced off road capacity " in relation to a Defender in terms of where it can actually go as opposed to what it can carry.

I'm not sure it's referring to the side by side as having a reduced off road capacity is it? I'd taken it to mean they were thinking about moving to a pickup as a replacement to the Defender with the resulting reduction in capability.
Post #805459 9th Dec 2019 12:58pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I guess that's the ambiguity in the article ~ leaves me not quite understanding what they are actually saying!

I think the use of SxS in this type of role is an ideal match, I'm just not sure they have gone for the most appropriate model of SxS.
Post #805469 9th Dec 2019 2:27pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
These are extremely capable machines, I wouldn't doubt there ability off-road and will probably go places a Defender wouldn't. Just slower on-road and nowhere near the load carrying capacity.

There was an article in Farmersweekly ages ago, suggesting some farmers are ditching 4x4 for these as their main transport being more practical. The example reviewed once speced up to be road worthy was £24k so not massively cheaper than some 4x4's. James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #805501 9th Dec 2019 5:53pm
Oldyellar

Scotland 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
24k Shocked you can have a navara tekkna manual for that and its 20k plus vat so 20k
Post #805580 10th Dec 2019 8:33am
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
JOW240725 wrote:
There was an article in Farmersweekly ages ago, suggesting some farmers are ditching 4x4 for these as their main transport being more practical.

Don't know most around here tend to have a normal car or a Land Rover. Those with Land Rovers tend to be battered up old ones that are just about road legal (stretching the definition).

E.g. my neighbours have a Jag S Type and Honda, my parents' neighbours have two Audi A3s. If they need stuff taken to market they hitch the trailer up to the tractor and/or get a lorry in to take stuff down to the market. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #805585 10th Dec 2019 8:51am
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
These little trucks are great for this application, a small vehicle capable of crossing terrain and leaving a much smaller footprint than a heavily laden 110, I’d have thought a good replacement for a Defender that is still subsidised by 2 Defenders.
I’m not sure 3 of these would suit at all but as an addition I wouldn’t be any less bothered walking up Pen Y Ghent Knowing this was a rescue vehicle.

There’s an opportunity for some publicity here tho and maybe they will receive a new Defender to start replacing their old fleet, great support too from local business and residents supporting the fund raising !

I can see McGovern stood at the bottom of ingleborough on a crate, wearing a fuschia crevatte And a safari suit ! Whilst supporting his application of the new number plate centrally in the bumper and NOT left as per the original !!!! DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #805648 10th Dec 2019 2:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1