↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres > Nordic tyres for UK winters?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
Re: I think I might try these....
Grenadier wrote:
These look like they might strike a nice balance between SUV, Winter, Snow. Good wet weather traction as well...

https://www.coopertire.fr/nouvelles/d/!/27...r-at34s-ty

Cooper don't seem to do these in standard 235/85/16 size so not sure if there is a size suitable for wolf wheels.

I am thinking about these when I need to replace or have enough of my BFG https://www.nokiantires.com/all-season-tires/nokian-rotiiva-at/
Post #805092 6th Dec 2019 10:28pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
I've found a 235/75/16, will that not be suitable for a Wolf rim? Does a 10% smaller aspect ratio make any difference if the width and rim size are correct? That equates to a 15mm shorter sidewall. Barely noticeable I'd think. Question Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #805099 6th Dec 2019 10:50pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
thanks for the comments on the Cross Climates.........

cheers @Jonny thats exactly what they will be potentially fitted to also was just a bit worried they would turn to Goo in the (1day) hot summer time..........
Post #805133 7th Dec 2019 10:24am
jonny

They are on an Outback (albeit a 3.6R) so it's more waft than nutter-mobile, but they have been totally fine all year round no matter what the conditions, and still have loads of life left with over 20K miles on them.

I probably wouldn't recommend them as a track day tyre but would definitely fit them again (or one of the equivalents - GY Vector, Continental AllSeasonContact etc) for a 'family' car.
Post #805137 7th Dec 2019 10:53am
Piggy501

Scotland 1996 Defender 90 300 Tdi PU Arrow Red
Regarding Nordic tyres, it's worth pointing out the TyreReviews video won't be totally accurate for a Defender. Most people won't have pure summer road tyres fitted, with A/T or M/T tyres shod on wheels instead. I'd suggest these are already comprised in outright grip compared to road summer tyres, so the true difference between AT/MT tyres and Nordic tyres will be a lot smaller. Personally, I found Nokian Haka LT2s to be a lot better on the road than Goodyear MTRs, both in 235/85R16, in terms of handling feel and road noise. The same was true even when the temperature started to climb in spring, although it really was night and day through winter. The snow and ice performance is remarkable, although having not had a set of decent A/T tyres fitted, I can't offer any comparison there.

CrossClimates seem to be a bit of a miracle of modern tyre technology. Stuck on a FWD estate (heavy but with 215bhp, starting to ask a lot of a tyre) they coped pretty well through snow and ice last winter, and yet this summer, with about 20k miles of wear on them, they coped very well with a... "spirited" drive across the quiet twisties of Scotland to beat a deadline. Two and a bit hours of pressing on, and while obviously they're no semi slick tyre, they gave good road holding and feedback once there was a bit of temperature in them, unlike a lot of other "all season" tyres that start to fade away. I believe this is because they're a summer rubber compound engineered to work winter, rather than a winter tyre bodged to survive summer. Either way, they were good enough I fitted a new set recently.

Hopefully some part of my rambling is useful for you.
Post #805322 8th Dec 2019 1:49pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
All good feedback, cheers
Post #805326 8th Dec 2019 2:25pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I would argue the difference between winters and most MTs will be even greater. MTs are completely the wrong tyre for any solid surface, including one with compacted snow & ice, especially combined with water or slush. They may be ok in deep fresh snow, which might behave a bit more like mud, buts that's about it. I'm always alarmed when the fist bit of sleet comes and I see a landy charging about on Insa Special Tracks likes it's invincible. I just pray they aren't behind me when they need to do an emergency stop. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #805334 8th Dec 2019 2:50pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Just to add to the contrast of mt/ats/winter tyres.

I have always run bfg at and at2s through the winter. This year I have experimented with nokian lt2. Both 235.85s. Overall compared to the ats, I have found them better for stopping in the wet and rain in uk. It's not been cold enough for any cold weather comments yet but they have compared favourably on muddy rocky climbs, as just as capable on dirt covered roads. Understand the sips etc but so far have found them an improvement. Not sure that would be the case against cross climate or a less aggressive starting tyre. Oh and they are quieter too. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #805363 8th Dec 2019 7:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12