↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > 300 TDI Piston upgrade?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dannyboy0629

1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Cobar Blue
300 TDI Piston upgrade?
Evening all, my pride and joy has gone pop on the motorway at 70MPH, i was going up a long steady hill and that was the end of that.

I have conducted a compression test and No 4 is only reaching 100 PSI, the head is about to come off but i am getting everything i need prior to the dismantle.

#Does anyone know of uprated pistons while im at it? or a decent supplier of new original pistons?
Post #804747 4th Dec 2019 6:20pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
you may just find you have a sticking valve or something less catastrophic than a failed piston! DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #804756 4th Dec 2019 7:46pm
Dannyboy0629

Even if that’s the case while it’s apart is it not worth updating pistons or renewing?
Post #804778 4th Dec 2019 10:32pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
What do you hope to achieve with "uprated" pistons? Forgive me but the standard ones are normally good for 100s of thousands of miles.

In fact I had two cranks snap on me this year, damage to the first engine: snapped crank, sheared three bearing block bolts and scored some bearings. Everything else fine.

Second crank drove from North Wales to South Wales towing 2 tonnes through the mountains. Damage: cranked crank...

So I think if the pistons survive crankshafts snapping I think they're probably good... Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #804795 4th Dec 2019 11:47pm
Dannyboy0629

Slap thank you for the information. I just want assurance that is all. A single piston from landrover is £500+ so as a thought if there was an uprated kit for around the same price was to use them instead. Saying that this answers my questions and I will use original.

Does anyone know of a decent supplier of OE?
Post #804803 5th Dec 2019 8:18am
sako243

What about the place that's been the go-to supplier of Land Rover engine internals for decades: Turners Engineering? Ed
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #804812 5th Dec 2019 9:32am
jfh

South Africa 2007 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Chawton White
sako243 wrote:
What do you hope to achieve with "uprated" pistons? Forgive me but the standard ones are normally good for 100s of thousands of miles.

In fact I had two cranks snap on me this year, damage to the first engine: snapped crank, sheared three bearing block bolts and scored some bearings. Everything else fine.

Second crank drove from North Wales to South Wales towing 2 tonnes through the mountains. Damage: cranked crank...

So I think if the pistons survive crankshafts snapping I think they're probably good...

I've only once heard of a snapped crankshaft before on a 300Tdi, but you had 2!

How common is the 300Tdi crankshaft snapping?
Sorry for going off topic.
Post #804823 5th Dec 2019 11:26am
sako243

Unheard of... Laughing

In fact your the first person I've heard of hearing that a 300Tdi crank has snapped. This wasn't a bearing failure or anything - this genuinely snapped in half.

First one didn't know the cause at the time, but had a friend with a complete 300Tdi and most ancillaries who sold it to me for about 2/3rds of the price of a new crank, so dropped that in. A few components made it across such as the starter motor and alternator. Then a few pulleys and idlers for example got swapped because they appeared to be in better condition.

Five weeks later I was towing a Bridgeport down from Sunderland and had a ticking that only happened at idle, thought it was an injector issue in the new engine. After swapping out injectors with a couple of spares from a friend it didn't go away and then dropped the sump and lo and behold another snapped crank.

One of the things that got swapped for what was, we thought, a better pulley was the one on the crank. Turns out this wasn't a particularly good idea because it had failed internally (the rubber bonding had started to come apart). For those that aren't aware on a diesel (particularly 4 pots) the crank pulley (at least on European engines) is weighted to dampen out vibrations from the crank. If this fails turns out the only real failure is the crank snaps...

So for the sake of a £30 pulley two cranks kicked the bucket. Sourced another bottom half of a 300 for £50 delivered to my door for some beers and then built up another engine with my original one and crucially a new pulley. Been fine for the last 10k or so since April when it went in. Ed
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #804836 5th Dec 2019 12:40pm
Blackhat90

Scotland 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Ticking " i"ve heard cranks knocking and then go bang, usually sending a conrod thru the block, was yours just picking up on the man shells ? , ,snap is when the crank shears in two , these symptoms are caused by poor lubrication,
Post #804912 5th Dec 2019 10:27pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Failure of a crank damper can result in a harmonic that causes a failure on some engines DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #804913 5th Dec 2019 10:30pm
sako243

Blackhat90 wrote:
Ticking " i"ve heard cranks knocking and then go bang, usually sending a conrod thru the block, was yours just picking up on the man shells ? , ,snap is when the crank shears in two , these symptoms are caused by poor lubrication,

Not sure I understand what you mean by "picking up on the man shells", assume you mean main not man but still don't know what you mean by "picking up". Regardless I think I know that snapping means it's, well, snapped in two... I can assure you that it wasn't poor lubrication.

Crank #1

Click image to enlarge

You can see in the photo that it snapped on piston #4 which is at the back of the block. This particular crank left me without drive, fairly understandably. I'd not been 100% happy with the engine for a few weeks - there'd been a bit of a ticking noise which got better with a few things sorted. First the discovery whilst laning in North Wales I'd lost one of the long M8 bolts on the inlet / exhaust manifold. Subsequent examination showed I'd also got a leaky gasket which after preparing to fight all the studs and expecting some to shear (I prepared by buying the required bits and bobs, genuine from LR at great expense because I had to get in bulk, so have lots spare if people are interested). Anyway not a single one put up a fight and I replaced the gasket.

After that I still wasn't happy with it and then a few hundred miles later found a little bit of oil spray and the rivets on the vacuum pump had failed. So that got replaced with a new genuine part and things improved. But in my mind it still wasn't quite right - couldn't put my finger on it but I still felt there was a bit of a "ticking" / "plinking" noise somewhere but by this point I was almost convinced I was hearing things.

Anyway a couple of weeks and 1500 miles later after New Years I decided for the sake of an evening and £30 to whip off the head and have a look. Everything was absolutely fine, in fact could have probably reused the head gasket but I had a new one so put it on. In the process I'd dropped a bit of coolant into the block so thought, sod it might as well give it an oil change now and whilst I did that I took the sump off to check the bottom end, sod all play anywhere. Cleaned the sump out and hit it with the wire wheel and repainted it.

The following weekend was heading down to Wales and lost all drive on the Severn Bridge and that was the crank gone. Thought initially I'd run out of oil but the oil was so clean from having only done 150 miles that I didn't actually see it on the dipstick the first time I checked.

Anyway postmortem strip down of the engine revealed that the crank had snapped, along with two bolts holding in the big end bearing block between 3 and 4. Apart from that there was naff all damage - in fact the bearing shells could probably have been reused if absolutely necessary - I wouldn't have but shows how little damage occurred.

Crank #2

Click image to enlarge

It's not clear in the photo but that fracture / crack / snap is in-front of #1 piston. Basically at idle it was rocking back and forth and causing the knocking / ticking that I heard. When you accelerated slightly / put it under load then you were always driving against one edge of the crack so it wasn't rocking back and forth. It was only visible after I dropped the sump to have a look and even then took a little while to spot it.

In fact I suspect if was so inclined I could probably fire up engine #2 which is sat in the blacksmiths forge barn and it would drive OK albeit with a bit of a knock...

Only after crank #2 did I realise that the crank pulley was a harmonic balancer, it just hadn't crossed my mind. Now, in hindsight, it's obvious. Ed
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #804921 6th Dec 2019 12:36am
Blackhat90

Scotland 1995 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Epsom Green
Wow " i see it now,, its the journal , bloody ell, anyone else had issues ? ,,
Post #805036 6th Dec 2019 7:41pm
sako243

It's not the journals in either situation - it's the web in both.

See the diagram on this page: https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questi...als-ground Ed
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #805044 6th Dec 2019 7:52pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Bu99er!
Post #805048 6th Dec 2019 7:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1