Home > Wheels & Tyres > HD'ish Rims?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
RobDorset

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Fuji White
HD'ish Rims?

Click image to enlarge

Hi, The close up picture of a wheel is mine and the other pictures are borrowed from from this thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic20996.html so hope that is ok.

I have a 2011 D130 from Western Power distribution that had a quadtech 3 body and is plated at 3500kg or 2200kg to the rear. The rims are 8x16 but I cannot find any numbers or markings anywhere. I am guessing the rims are factory fitted because many power and utility companies have these rims as you can see from the photo's that I borrowed from SV130's thread in 2013.

The steel is 6mm thick at the vent holes whilst Wolf's are 7mm thick at the vent holes so not sure if the 6mm thickness put's them into some sort of HD rim category or is 6mm the thickness of a standard steel wheel?

Do these rims have a name or part number? Were they factory fitted or after leaving LR ?

Maybe these were offered as HD rims before the arrival of Wolf rims and then fleet buyers who were buying in bulk could continue to get these 8x16's rather than the narrower Wolf's?

Keen to know what I have got on my truck so any info appreciated, thank you
Post #804767 4th Dec 2019 9:26pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
They are what are commonly called 'modular' rims. They weren't factory fitted but many utility companies fitted them so they could fit much wider tyres than standard LR steel rims would take.

They're rated at 1200kgs, which is higher than LR wheels so they're more than up to the job. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #804772 4th Dec 2019 9:57pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
The Wellar or Mangles modular rims were fitted as a replacement to the factory fitted wolfs that the LR was ordered from the factory on.

Now Dan on here 229...… Would be more clued as to the procurement but all defenders came from the factory to the suppling dealer on the wolf rims and hd chassis, quadtech or chassis cab etc, etc.. Now the suppling dealer took off the wolfs and fitted the modular and 265 width BFgoodrich tyres.
This I know as a certain dealer would always have been selling the take offs out the back door, A cushty number to have WPD buy it from the dealer, then pay the dealer to change the wheels then sell the 'used' spares. Now the rest of the fitment I.e the specific shelving and the winches I'm not sure who exactly did what but the rims were a 1200KG weight rating for them IIRC. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #804773 4th Dec 2019 10:08pm
Oldowner

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Aintree Green
Western Power Defenders were supplied as base vehicles and fitted with either modulars or 8 spokes by the converting dealer. The main converter had skips full of genuine rims, springs, rear windows and Hicap rear bodies for recycling which used to be able to be purchased for a nominal amount!!

They are fitted to enable the fitment of 265 BFG mud tyres which is the tyre of choice. The wider offset gives a bit more stability as often loaded up with kit or fitted with cherry picker.

There are a few late WPD 110s around with Wolfs fitted.

The HD chassis was discontinued by Land Rover so the last vehicles had standard chassis however were upgraded to Hd spec with Land Rovers blessing by adding HD springs and 110s has anti roll bars fitted. The Hicaps which were converted to cherry picker had an extra 4” added to the cab bulkhead / roof to gain extra legroom.

Winches are by superwinch / rotec hydraulics - used for conductor winching / temporary stays etc more than recovery. Racking by various suppliers - Bott or Tevo usually.
Post #804777 4th Dec 2019 10:31pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
They're rated at 1200kgs, which is higher than LR wheels so they're more than up to the job.

Higher than some LR wheels...but drastically lower than the wheels they left the factory on. Confused
Post #804805 5th Dec 2019 8:24am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Fair point, I was thinking of standard rather than HD ones. Nevertheless, they're clearly considered adequate as they were widely fitted to brand new vehicles. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #804815 5th Dec 2019 9:56am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I had a vague recollection that the utility companies used these because they wanted a 15" rim rather than a 16" to allow wider tyres without clearance issues.
Post #804818 5th Dec 2019 11:18am
Oldowner

Supacat wrote:
LandRoverAnorak wrote:
They're rated at 1200kgs, which is higher than LR wheels so they're more than up to the job.

Higher than some LR wheels...but drastically lower than the wheels they left the factory on. Confused

But as far as I am aware there has never been a failure of the 8 spoke / modular on the Defender fleet, which are probably the hardest worked and loaded to the limit defenders, unlike 99% of the last few years of production.
Post #804851 5th Dec 2019 2:04pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
What newsletter would I need to subscribe to, to ensure I did receive the updates on all wheel related issues?

It strikes me as just plain odd to spec up HD parts for the chassis and suspension and then go the opposite direction with regard to the wheels.
Post #804863 5th Dec 2019 4:33pm
CarMan

United Kingdom 
No idea about your first paragraph sorry, but in your 2nd paragraph would that be because Wolf wheels cant take the wider tyres they wanted for whatever reason Question Rob

1993 200tdi 90 hard-top
1998 300tdi 90 soft-top
2016 2.2 XS 90 hard-top
Post #804880 5th Dec 2019 7:01pm
oneten110

United Kingdom 
For additional flotation with heavily laden vehicles on soft ground. It is not a Defender, it is a One_Ten
Post #804882 5th Dec 2019 7:12pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
What size tyres did they use ?

Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #804889 5th Dec 2019 8:28pm
Oldowner

Supacat wrote:
What newsletter would I need to subscribe to, to ensure I did receive the updates on all wheel related issues?

It strikes me as just plain odd to spec up HD parts for the chassis and suspension and then go the opposite direction with regard to the wheels.

It’s not odd at all. Hd wolf wheels came out in 1997. Western Power and SWEB before them have used the modular / 8 spoke since the late 80s at which point the load rating far exceeded the then heavy duty wheel Land Rover offered - the wimpy 6.5” ANR1534. The 8 spoke and BF Goodrich 265/75/16 became the standard for the Defender fleet and this has simply carried on to this day, if it’s not broken why fix it?

My knowledge comes from the fact I work for them and have had plenty of them as company vehicles.
Post #804893 5th Dec 2019 8:49pm
Fatbaron

United Kingdom 
Quite possibly a ridiculous question but I have these wheels fitted to my truck too and really want to paint them, Am I going to have to split them or would it be alright to paint over the small black screws?
Post #804927 6th Dec 2019 6:09am
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
The little black screws are cosmetic they are not a true split rim. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #804928 6th Dec 2019 7:12am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>