↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > lights reflection from other cars on the glasses (rear/side)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
BrunoJ

Norway 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
lights reflection from other cars on the glasses (rear/side)
Hi,

Issue of the beginner to Defender, so please don't laugh if you found that trivial or so... Wink
I'm not sure it is a Puma specific, or any Defender. Observed with one-ten.

I found lights reflexes quite annoying when driving at dark (which is quite visible amount of time here in Norway at winter..). In the main mirror I see all lights from the cars I have in front of me - their red lights (positions, stops), as well as front lights from the cars coming toward me on other line of the road. Looks like rear window in LRD makes that happen, I never saw that in any car I have/had (I also cannot recall that from previous 110 from 90th I used several years ago). I believe it is because all glasses as very flat and the specific ankle of front glass works like a prism, redirecting all reflexes with quite unfortunate way into the rear glass then back into the mirror. Side glasses works similarly, not that disruptive during regular driving, but noticeable e.g. on the bigger parking lots.
I understand I cannot change the physics, ankles of glasses in the car. But maybe you know any way how to limit/remove these reflexes, especially from rear doors? Some additional layer to be glued/sprayed on the rear glass from inside? Or rather some trick made into the internal mirror?
BTW - I found internal mirror way to low (I'm above 180cm), cannot find any dedicated elements like shorter mounting arm or so. That could potentially help to resolve the issue, if mirror could be mounted higher, at the end of the glass rather than on 15cm arm...

Last edited by BrunoJ on 19th Nov 2019 8:23pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #802641 17th Nov 2019 11:05pm
chalky

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
It's perfectly Normal, they all reflect off the back door into the rear view mirror and back again,

I take it you have Snow ? which makes it 10 times worse as all the surroundings also bounce in and out of the cabin reflecting off the glass, Coincidentally....... I first noticed this in Norway, Driving from Voss up the Mjollfjell Valley.......... In the depths of winter.

We used to drive from the view in the back window projected in the rear view mirror, Not too bad especially as the walls of snow were often 6 Ft high and kept you on the road, DEFENDER XS CSW 08 TONGA GREEN
Post #802644 17th Nov 2019 11:15pm
BrunoJ

No snow yet in my area (Stavanger), and even not in the first 1-2 lines of mountains. But I can imagine how it will looks like. I notices side glasses reflexes as well, when I was "attacked" at driver's side by the cars parked on opposite side of the car (especially when road is turning). As mentioned earlier - quite annoying, especially I'm switching between cars, so don't have it all the time.
I was considering changing the internal mirror position higher (shorter arm), or maybe try to make rear glass tinted (but from the inside?).
Post #802647 17th Nov 2019 11:30pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
same here and i am toying with getting the rear door window tinted (already have factory tinted Alpine & rear side lights)
Post #802669 18th Nov 2019 8:57am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If you can do it legally, getting rid of the interior rear view mirror altogether results in a big improvement (one advantage of having an IW canopy with a solid flap).
Post #802679 18th Nov 2019 9:50am
DAZ110

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Barolo Black
One of the joys of Defender ownership! Laughing

You will soon get used to the reflections and learn to ignore them. Thumbs Up
Post #802682 18th Nov 2019 10:05am
BrunoJ

Thanks for your replies. At least I’m not alone with the issue... Which means I’m not the first who attempts to update that. Which seems to me there are small chances to really improve that, otherwise you will know already ... Wink
I’ll let you know in case I find any working improvement of that issue. And maybe there is still someone with any workarounds or ideas.
Post #802688 18th Nov 2019 11:04am
GuJa

Germany 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
Hello,
I had the same situation - and the only way to overcome the problem is to ignore it or remove the mirror. I tried several things but at least the mirror had to go. The benefit is also that you do no longer need the rear wiper and the heating of the rear window Very Happy .
To improove the field of view I installed the blind spot mirrors from MUD. I'm fine with this solution.
Cheers
Gunnar
Post #803210 22nd Nov 2019 5:17pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Bear in mind that in the UK the interior mirror is a legal requirement on vehicles manufactured from 1978 unless you cannot see anything in it due to the configuration of the body.

Prior to 78 the requirement was simply for 2 mirrors one of which must be external and on the offside.
Post #803217 22nd Nov 2019 6:02pm
GuJa

Germany 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Tonga Green
Thank you for the information. Next summer I want to visit England/Scotland, so I will put the mirror back Sad
Post #803218 22nd Nov 2019 6:07pm
MikeJ

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
blackwolf wrote:
Bear in mind that in the UK the interior mirror is a legal requirement on vehicles manufactured from 1978 unless you cannot see anything in it due to the configuration of the body.

Prior to 78 the requirement was simply for 2 mirrors one of which must be external and on the offside.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications...r-vehicles

Only a requirement since 2010.
Although my 2013 has passed every MOT without an internal rear view mirror.
I guess you can argue that the spare wheel provides a body configuration that means you can't really see through the window anyway!
Post #803837 27th Nov 2019 5:28pm
VVS210

United Kingdom 
My old 90 (a 1995 model station wagon) went through numerous MOT tests without an internal rear view mirror fitted with not so much of a mention. Ditto, the 110 DCPU went through 2 MOTs in my ownership without the rear view mirror fitted.
Post #804038 29th Nov 2019 12:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1