↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Sin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Sin
I've sinned. I drove into some water today in the pick up, and whilst she was happily chugging through it with a nice bow wave, she died. I put her in low range, which is where I should have been to begin with, and after a few cranks she fired into life, then cut out, then fired, then cut out, fired again and off we went. Aside from the 'that was pretty stupid in the first place' any reason to think I've done any damage? She ran fine the few miles home.

The water level came up to the door seals.

Thanks

Huttopia.
Post #802361 15th Nov 2019 6:16pm
GREENI

United Kingdom 
I’d look for tell tale tide marks in the engine bay, just out of curiosity. Sounds like you may have gotten away with it though.
Cool
Post #802366 15th Nov 2019 6:59pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Fingers crossed. I felt like such a **** sat there praying for her to restart. 🤦‍♂️
Post #802370 15th Nov 2019 7:15pm
yostumpy

I'd be looking at the stop solonoid connection, a tdi shouldn't cut out , I assume you didn't stall it?. no other reason really, cill depth is nothing. Wink 'Volvo XC 70, taking the rough with the smooth’
Post #802373 15th Nov 2019 7:39pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I may have stalled it, revs got lower and then it died, so I guess that’s a stall!
Post #802376 15th Nov 2019 7:46pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
You should be fine because (1) water to to the door seals (assuming you mean those at the bottom of the door) is really not very deep and (2) the problem you could have had in this situation is the exhaust flooding and preventing the engine restarting. Given that the engine did restart this clearly didn't happen.

The only other risk you run is that of water being drawn into the axles as the water outside cools the axle quickly causing the air inside to contract and draw water in. If you have good raised breathers this won't happen, but you may want to check the axle oil for water contamination in the fairly near future.

I have had my Puma in water up to the exterior door handles (my briefcase was floating in the rear footwell) and apart from wet carpets there were no ill-effects (I do have a sealed raised intake thought).
Post #802382 15th Nov 2019 8:32pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Blimey Blackwolf, that sounds pretty serious wading! Thanks for the info. I’ve had to go out this evening and so she’s done another 50 miles since the water with no starting / running issues. I figure I just stalled her, should have been in low range from the start. Lesson learned.
Post #802402 15th Nov 2019 11:36pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes, it was "interesting"! I foolishly decided after working late one night in winter a couple of years ago to take a detour through a rather good ford nearby. Although the water was quite high, in the dark it didn't look particularly high. However it was about a foot deeper than I thought and was rather fast flowing. As I say, the water outside was up to the exterior door handles, and although the front footwells remained dry the rear footwells did not. I could also feel the rear of the vehicle just starting to float.

Although it was nowhere close to causing serious problems since my Defender is quite well prepared, it was deep enough, dark enough, late enough, and exciting enough to make the realise that there is a reason why I advocate that you never drive into water of unknown depth and it was essentially a rather stupid stunt!

Years ago, back in the early '80s, I did manage to fill my wellies with water whilst driving my 80" through a flood, the water being deep enough inside the cab to come over the top of the wellies. That was in an unmodified vehicle with a normal intake, but the fan belt correctly adjusted to slip when wet. In a Series 1 with the 1600 or 2L engine which has a very hiogh mounted distributor you can get water over the wings and bonnet without drowning the engine if you know what you're doing, but I don't really recommend it!
Post #802406 16th Nov 2019 12:12am
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
I won’t be rushing to get the water over the top of my wellies! I’ve been running around this morning, another 30 odd miles and no problems so counting my blessing.
Post #802445 16th Nov 2019 3:23pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I must admit to pushing it yesterday in the morning whilst taking a nurse to recover her car. The lane has a bit of a low spot in it and perhaps the fact that the Honda Civic that was parked in the water was actually floating should have given it away that it was deep.
I set off through with my fairly standard Td5 with the added bonus of the brain under my seat but a nice steady bow wave that only really started to get going when the water level got to the tops of the wings. No ill effects apart from soaking everything at floor level, leaving the Eberspacher running for the rest of the day has dried 0f it and the water that flowed into the heater box through the wing top vent has nearly all drained out.

Click image to enlarge
Post #802447 16th Nov 2019 3:53pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 200 Tdi HT Pennine Grey
... That's why I take the fanny valve out of the heater intake duct Smile
Otherwise it's instant screen mist and internal screen washers Laughing
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.
Post #802450 16th Nov 2019 4:21pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
This is just across Ham Bridge, about half a mile from Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb. It was just too tempting to not have a go, and easy enough to see the lane.

Click image to enlarge
Post #802666 18th Nov 2019 9:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1