↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Optimill QR steering boss - advice please!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
nitram17

[quote="LandRoverAnorak"]
nitram17 wrote:
I will give optomil a ring as the lock might fit all of them but the holes and pins might be in different positions which may make the steering wheel of century if you interchange them and it would not matter for the spinning lock

The lock engages with the pins so it's definitely the same on all.

Click image to enlarge
[/quot

Thanks for taking the time lra.
Post #881346 27th Jan 2021 5:55pm
nitram17

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
nitram17 wrote:
I will give optomil a ring as the lock might fit all of them but the holes and pins might be in different positions which may make the steering wheel of century if you interchange them and it would not matter for the spinning lock

Click image to enlarge

hi i have just received a optimill boss (momo) amd swivel lock ... there was a rubber o ring approx 1.5 inches diameter loose in the box ,i assume it is for the recess in the optimill cap?is that right?
Post #883802 7th Feb 2021 4:48pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The cap is held on by the fit of the O ring, however I found that mine would pop off since the air could not escape. In the end I drilled a small vent hole through the side of the cap (between the O ring and the back of the flange of the front face, where it can't be seen when fitted) and the thing has stayed on ever since.
Post #883813 7th Feb 2021 5:48pm
Benrlelliott

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Follow up post purchase: very easy to fit, any idiot with a hammer can do this. Agree with the gripes on the reflection of the silver handles, it's an annoying oversight given the overall quality of the boss.

Principle benefits has been a smaller steering wheel (Momo Prototipo), comfort improved markedly - door frame / card now in the right position to act as an elbow rest.
Post #883821 7th Feb 2021 6:02pm
blackwolf

In my view the principal benefit is security, everything else is secondary. Thumbs Up
Post #883836 7th Feb 2021 7:46pm
Benrlelliott

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Aintree Green
Optimill out of stock of locks, waiting for that to arrive, until then steering wheel lives in the house.
Post #883838 7th Feb 2021 7:59pm
nitram17

Post #883843 7th Feb 2021 8:20pm
nitram17

blackwolf wrote:
The cap is held on by the fit of the O ring, however I found that mine would pop off since the air could not escape. In the end I drilled a small vent hole through the side of the cap (between the O ring and the back of the flange of the front face, where it can't be seen when fitted) and the thing has stayed on ever since.

Thanks blackwolf Thumbs Up
Post #883844 7th Feb 2021 8:22pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Hi all , another member ,Nick999, posted that when he advised his insurance company (LV) that he fitted an Optimill QR boss and after market steering wheel they wanted to increase his premium By £833 !!! as it’s classed as a steering modification .

See post https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic76831.html

Have any of you guys had issues with LV regarding the fitting of the Optimill QR boss and after market steering wheel ?

Have any of you had any issues with any other insurance companies increasing premiums or refusing to insure with this beneficial modification ?

Near the end of page one of the post another member stated Tesco insurance , when advised of the mod, said they would cease his insurance in 7 days if he did not revert back to a standard steering wheel setup, which he needed to have done by a mechanic and prove via an invoice !

Madness I know, but there does seem to be an issue with some mainstream insurers, and some people have multi car insurance so benefit from being with a mainstream insurer such as LV.

Be good to know of your experiences as I’m looking at this as another security enhancement, although I would not quote it as such as I don’t want to be obliged to remove the wheel whenever the vehicle is unattended for insurance purposes.

Edit- probably best to respond on the original post I highlighted
Post #883853 7th Feb 2021 9:21pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Ianh if I have read your posting correctly you would like to fit this as a security measure but would rather not tell your insurance company?

If this is the case and my apologises if I have misread your posting just bear in mind your insurance could be invalidated if you don’t declare any mods to your insurance company.

I left LV and went to A plan because of the mods I have on my defender.

Writing your defender off and not having insurance would be hard enough to bear but imagine injuring another party and not being insured......you could end up paying 10s of thousands of £ depending on the insurance claim you face from the injured party.

I don’t wish to be a killjoy far from it, but ask your insurance company before you fit a modification Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #883857 7th Feb 2021 9:35pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Sorry , did not mean to confuse, I would advise as a mod, but would not want it taken account of as a security measure in my premium. Mainly because of a very rare chance that I forgot to remove and the vehicle was stolen while steering wheel fitted.
Post #883858 7th Feb 2021 9:52pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Thumbs Up It’s easy to get into the habit of taking it off and it’s a great mod Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #883859 7th Feb 2021 10:01pm
blackwolf

Ianh wrote:
Sorry , did not mean to confuse, I would advise as a mod, but would not want it taken account of as a security measure in my premium. Mainly because of a very rare chance that I forgot to remove and the vehicle was stolen while steering wheel fitted.

I don't think you need worry about that because I have never heard of an insurance company taking any account of it as a security device. In my experience if it isn't Thatcham Category <something> approved insurance companies won't even consider it a security feature.
Post #883878 8th Feb 2021 12:03am
Ninja man

When I fitted my QR hub, steering wheel and lock the insurance company put it down as a steering mod . Didn’t cost anymore but deffo wasn’t put as security mod ,I’m with John Lewis ( covea underwriters)
Post #883892 8th Feb 2021 9:53am
nitram17

LandRoverAnorak wrote:
nitram17 wrote:

Click image to enlarge

If that is the case and the machining is consistent and you can interchange the top part with a different bottom part i think optimil are missing a trick as they could sell separately the momo ,startech , motolita steering wheel boss top part so folk could interchange their steering wheels. I would pay for another top part but i wouldn't go to the expense of buying two complete units.
Post #884867 12th Feb 2021 12:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>