2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #801606 10th Nov 2019 11:10am
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Some of the stories & experiences really hit home..........massive respect
Post #801609 10th Nov 2019 11:40am
donmacn

I'm just home from playing at the Remembrance service with my pipe band. The Band itself was formed 100 year ago by pipers and drummers returning home after the war.

Just in September we took a trip to Ypres and the Somme. To see the cemeteries, and the memorials at Tyncot, Thiepval and the Menin Gate to the 'missing' is very, very powerful. Men ( and a very few women ) from all parts of the Commonwealth. So many Australians, Canadians, Highlanders.... and all the others.

My own grandfather probably lied about his age, and was in the RN and saw action in the Falklands in 1914.

It seems to me that we need to be very aware of the 'small steps' that lead to war - and not to follow that path too lightly. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #801678 10th Nov 2019 7:47pm
Tim in Scotland

Did anyone apart from me notice the Defender on the masthead banner for the site has a Poppy on the grille the last few days? Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #801892 12th Nov 2019 9:21am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, I did. 👍🏻 Diesels Lives Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️
And if You Love the Country, then we’re on the same side ~
I got’ love for Britain, I got’ British pride’. 🇬🇧
Post #801941 12th Nov 2019 3:27pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
It’s great to remember what ordinary men and women did. My grandfather on my mother’s side never spoke of the war, he saw things in the prisoner of war camp that never left him. I remember being about 8 and my grandmother said something about lunch and I said ‘great I’m starving’ and he shared a different definition of starving! Below is what I put together for my kids when they were doing something related at school:

Richard March was as an Air Bomber (bomb aimer) with No 100 squadron Grimsby. The Bomb Aimer would man the front gun turret and take up position to direct the pilot to the target and release the bomb load.

Most of his flying during training in Canada was in a type of plane called Anson. He also flew in other planes, notably Wellingtons and Halifaxs. His combat missions were flown in Lancaster Bombers. It was on his tenth bombing mission that his plane was shot down. However he had also done a number of dangerous diversionary flights over enemy occupied territory to cause confusion and get the German fighters airborne before turning for home. The aircraft he was in was PB 578 on route to Nuremberg when it was shot down by a twin engined night fighter on Jan 2 1945. He parachuted out and landed deep in enemy territory. All those who parachuted successfully during the war became members of something called the Caterpillar Club.

Only three of the crew of seven survived, Richard was captured and processed in Stuttgart and then sent to Stalag Luft 1 (a prisoner of war camp) where he was imprisoned by the Third Reich until the camp was liberated on May 1 1945 by the advancing Russian Army.
Post #801955 12th Nov 2019 5:29pm
Charlie Spitfire

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green

Click image to enlarge

Douaumont Ossuary, Fort Douaumont, Fort Vaux. The landscape here is much less healed than on The Somme. Many places visible from the road have egg box pockmarks and the forest is criss crossed with trenches. I drove into the forest on an an unsigned track and within five minutes I was sitting alone in an abandoned trench. Wear a Poppy at Douaumont Ossuary and the French will love you for it ! They all know what the Poppy means.
Post #801965 12th Nov 2019 6:50pm
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
We went to our Church service with our children in the Cubs / Guides to lay wreaths.

I decorated the old girl with a poppy Smile

Click image to enlarge
Post #802042 13th Nov 2019 8:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1