↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Water in oil AFTER headgasket replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Burgerboy78

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 110 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
Water in oil AFTER headgasket replacement
Good evening all, I recently replaced the head gasket on my 10p TD5 after I found the coolant to be pressurising and there was water usage and smoke from the exhaust. It was NOT overheating though.

When I removed the head I found the plastic head dowels had snapped which was to be expected. I replaced with metal dowels, 3 hole head gasket and new head bolts all from turner's. I had the head pressure checked and a light skim whilst the head was off at a very reputable local machine shop.

It was refitted following the correct procedure and tighten to the correct torqure and then done with the angle gauge. I changed the oil and both filters after it was done.

I've since done around 500 miles in it and it's done 2 header tanks of coolant. I figured this was strange considering it's recently had a new radiator also. I checked all the coolant pipes and found no leaks. Head tank is not pressuring, heater blows hot and it's been bless twice.

I checked the dipstick and found that the oil was above the full mark. I drained the oil and found it to be like chocolate milkshake. Clearly this is where my my topped up header tanks of coolant have been going.

Obviously I am extremely frustrated at this as I did things to the book and with decent quality parts. Engine only has 90k. Does anyone know of where it could be coming from? Common places. It seems to be drinking coolant at an alarming rate so wherever it is leaking it must be a pretty big "hole" so to speak.

Any help would be great.
Post #801405 8th Nov 2019 9:02pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Only thing I can think of if it’s not the head would be the oil cooler, which is a bit of a pig to do. Simple enough but lots of bits to be removed before you can extract it.

Andy.
Post #801479 9th Nov 2019 11:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1