Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Flashpotato

United Kingdom 
Questions for the Defender2 Forum
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post:

I am going to buy a new Defender and have a few questions about the spec and buying process. Perhaps someone can help me out?

1. Does anyone have any idea when I can order the P400 under the HSE spec? Also curious to know when the hybrid will be released. I am not bothered by the delivery dates, but curious to know when I can actually order the spec I want.

2. Once I have made the order, how long do I have (in practice) to change the spec? Obviously if I order now, I am going to have to wait until the summer next year to take delivery (I am in London), but if I order say a P300 110 now and then they launch the P400 or Hybrid in say, Jan will I be permissive
To respec the car ?

Finally, an observation rather than a question. On the LR website I can order a new defender with a refundable £500 deposit. My local dealer insists on a minimum of £1,000. I realise £500
Doesn’t amount to much when you consider the overall price and running costs, but if I was a LR Franchise owner I would be furious about this. I want to put down the minimum possible now for a car that might take 10 months to be delivered. Am I on my own with this thinking?

D
Post #800686 4th Nov 2019 12:44am
Flashpotato

United Kingdom 
(And before anyone tells me to ask my dealer, it is clear my deal Iae knows nothing about delivery times etc etc so I am generally not dealing with them)
Post #800687 4th Nov 2019 12:46am
Tim in Scotland

Bear in mind that none or very few dealership staff have actually seen one in the metal and many have not yet received product training and you can see the announcement of the new Defendervwas if anything made too soon and before the PR machinery had been set in motion. Regarding my local dealership, I know more about the car from what I have read here and found on the Internet than the sales staff in the showroom! They simply don’t have much, if any, firm details to pass on. Even delivery dates for placed orders have fallen back from March to May and it was listed here that the initial batch of cars released to customers will be SE D240 110’s. There is nothing firm (or even rumoured ) about the PHEV versions other than not until late 2020 at the earliest.
I think to say the launch has been a fiasco is understating things too. In the UK market there is no news about which models will get the P400 6 cylinder other than it is the only engine available in the X model at the moment. I believe that this week LR will be launching the PHEV versions of Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque with a 1.5lt 3 Cylinder turbo petrol, I wonder if LR is waiting to see if they have the pricing and engine size right for that before going ahead with launching whichever PHEV system the. defender is to get - it is a very important model and they have to get it right first time. I am also waiting for info about the PHEV and have paid my dealership £1000 as a refundable “expression of interest” if LR don’t come up with something soon I will be looking for my money back and will keep my 1996 Defender 90 and replace my 2nd car with something like a Kia eNiro or a Tesla 3 - I won’t be looking at either a Discovery Sport PHEV or an Evoque PHEV as I fear that they will be way too expensive, like their non-PHEV versions have become. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #800705 4th Nov 2019 9:34am
Flashpotato

United Kingdom 
Thanks.

It does all seem to be a bit of a mess. I guess it was always going to be a bit tricky because so many folks are emotionally invested in the Defender product (I know I am!).

It looks like in Australia you will be able to spec a P400 on a standard 110 (according to their configurator - no prices) - its odd that we can only get them on the top-of-the-range 'x' here.

It seems like JLR are really going to annoy their franchise owners. How can they tour the country with their relatively well informed 'product experts' whilst their dealerships are left in the dark, and who are also obliged to charge double the JLR website for a deposit!

Any idea if I would have any luck swapping the powertrain after the order has been in motion for a couple of months? Suppose I could always get my deposit back (GBP500!) and then start a new order from scratch......
Post #800726 4th Nov 2019 12:16pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I think the refundable deposit's are just putting your name in the queue and not necessarily confirming exactly what you want or even 90/110? If it were me unless I was in a hurry, I'd wait a while until the dealers actually get them in the showroom and know what they're selling. Hopefully they'll be more knowledgeable then.

My local dealer is getting the new Defender on Thursday for the day and apprently some people from the JLR will be there to answer any questions. Maybe worth seeing if your local dealer has a similar event? Or speak to JLR customer services direct?

Have tried other local dealers, some seem a lot more helpful than others.

Good luck Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #800729 4th Nov 2019 12:41pm
LEZ

United Kingdom 
I'm in London also, and had to lodge £1k deposit with my dealer. Like you, I am interested in PHEV (rumours for late 2020) or P400. Good Luck.
Post #800733 4th Nov 2019 1:07pm
King Luis

Canada 
the current P400 is a mild hybrid or MHEV. where in 2020 they are to release the plug in hybrid PHEV which the engine name i believe has not been announced.

don't know about the UK but in Canada, dealers can set their own pricing, so the 1000 pounds is just dealers trying to get some extra coin i'd assume. don't know why they'd ask for more then what LR says. also on the Canadian website, you can build a HSE with the P400. we only get the two petrol motors here. no diesels because people in N/A are afraid of them or something. Just like electric trains. Rolling Eyes
Post #800741 4th Nov 2019 1:44pm
Tim in Scotland

P400 is available as a standard option engine in the Aussie market as member Zilch has just ordered a P400 SE down under Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #800749 4th Nov 2019 2:54pm
zilch

Australia 
As Tim says P400 available from the S model and above in Aus, however there is no P300 option in market yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #801137 6th Nov 2019 10:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1