↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Electrical Novice - Wiring thickness for extending LED Bar
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
othorton

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Java Black
Electrical Novice - Wiring thickness for extending LED Bar
Hi Chaps,

Hoping for a bit of advice as a wiring newbie. I'll be getting round to wiring up my LED light bar at the weekend. At present, the relay set up doesn't have quite enough wire to get from the bar on the roof to the battery, as I plan to run it up the b-pillar trim and through the headlining. (please note I really do not want to take the dash off to hunt around for an ignition live so think the above plan is the neatest option).

The question is about wire thickness. The light bar draws 12A @ 24V and is 510W. I think I should need probably an extra 6-8ft of wire but am not sure how wire thickness works, much beyond wire which is too thin has the danger of setting on fire (obviously not the plan).

For reference, the loom has its own fuse between battery and relay. I've also bought a trim removal kit and some surplus fir tree studs in order to get the headlining out with minimal damage.

Would really appreciate any advice, in addition to recommendations of where to get the wire from. I already have a soldering iron/wire connectors.

Thanks in advance,

Oliver
Post #799862 29th Oct 2019 8:05am
DuncanS

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Hi Oliver.

Something doesn't add up there. it can't be 510W and draw 12A at 24v. That would only give you 288W based on 12A at 24v.

Normally for a lightbar you will use between 3mm and 6mm CSA (cross sectional area) depending on your spec.

We sell cable at K&S McKenzies but its readily available at most decent auto factors. 12 Volt Planet, Vehicle Wiring Products and PoleVolt are probably my three recommended go-tos for online purchases.

cheers North Cumbria Search and Rescue - Team Leader
Post #799870 29th Oct 2019 10:04am
othorton

Thanks very much for getting back to me Duncans. I agree; doing the math, it looks like a 510W bar would be working around 22A rather than 12A. I'll get in touch with GRP 4x4 as perhaps they got their figures mixed up as it does seem there's some confusion here.

Out of interest - is there any issue with using thicker than 6mm gauge wire other than its higher cost?

Thanks,

Oliver
Post #799872 29th Oct 2019 10:40am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
Nope, use the largest diameter cable you can (within reason) as it will also minimise the voltage drop.

Personally though, 6mm is too thick for your application. . You will find 6mm too big for most crimp terminals and hard to crimp without proper equipment.

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale
Post #799877 29th Oct 2019 11:38am
othorton

Thanks Steve. I'll stick with 4mm then. That's rated to 40A which should be more than enough.

Really appreciate the advice.

Thanks,

Oliver
Post #799879 29th Oct 2019 11:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1