↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Central Locking / Immobiliser - Upgrade to the new JLR kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stu_XS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Central Locking / Immobiliser - Upgrade to the new JLR kit
I had an issue with a short circuit on my central locking which resulted in blowing the 20a fuse in the dashboard panel (9 if I remember correctly). Symptoms were that when I went to lock the car the indicators flashed once then nothing. In the process of fault finding I replaced the fuse and following the same symptoms the fuse blew again.

I eventually found a short circuit between both sides of the central locking motor circuit (screw holding the grab handle over the rear door) and fixed that. Replaced the fuse and everything works as expected (interior lights, alarm and immobiliser) except the CL motors on all doors. All door flexi's are checked OK.

I have checked continuity of the circuit from all doors back to the control module plug and between each door in turn - I'm convinced the circuit is OK. The drivers side CL motor has a secondary circuit which seems to have 12v from the control module through a switch in the CL motor to ground, I think this is in place to unlock all doors and disarm the alarm if you unlock the drivers door using the key. This 12v circuit works fine.

Measuring the pins on the control unit that connect to the CL open and close there is a circuit to ground when leads me to think the control module is goosed.

Investigations conclude the control units are discontinued and as rare as unicorn tears. JLR has an 'upgrade' process for replacement which consists of a number of new parts and new style key fobs.

I have the part numbers for these parts but I wondered if anyone has carried out this installation or has a bulletin for it they could share. Stu...

2013 Aintree Green 90 XS SW 2.2 Puma
Post #799370 24th Oct 2019 7:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1