↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma 2.2 oil service message. 3 reasons it will come on.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Puma 2.2 oil service message. 3 reasons it will come on.
So just thought I would put this in one place. And confirm my understanding.

The oil service message is only on 2.2 pumas with a DPF.
It will come up for one of 3 reasons.

1. It has been 12 months since the counter has been reset.
2 it has been 12,000 miles / 20,000 kilometres since the counter has been reset.
3. The ECU has calculated the oil may be diluted by 7% of diesel due to active DPF regeneration cycles. This is based on miles traveled, style of driving ( lots of short journeys etc) and number of regenerations. This is denoted in the workshop manual

The first two points I have gleamed from discussions on here and my own observations as I can’t find any info on it in the workshop manual. It does seem that if a 12 month period elapses, even if few miles have been traveled and those miles were not stop start, then the oil service message will appear on the dash. It’s the same if you go over the 12k miles without a counter reset.

Now for 2 and 3 you should change your oil and oil filter. I do oil and filter changes every 5,000 miles. However for point one it could give a false indication. I.e the vehicle could have travelled zero miles over the 12 months since the counter was reset, yet it will still bring up the oil service message on the dash.

The trouble is if you have only traveled say 2 k miles in a year you don’t know if the oil service message is displaying due to point 1 (it’s been 12 months since last reset) , or 3 (it’s due to oil dilution).

Is there a way of knowing if either point 1 or point 3 has triggered the oil service light ? Point 2 would be obvious if counter resets were done correctly at last oil change Smile

Views appreciated, am I correct on points 1 and 2.

Ps to reset oil service message counter

Turn the ignition key so all dash lights come up, but do not start engine.
Immediately depress the brake and accelerator fully down simultaneously.
Keep them pressed down for 15 plus seconds, the oil light ( oil can symbol) should start flashing.
Now turn ignition key off , remove key, then simultaneously release brake and accelerator peddles.
Wait at least 2 minutes
Turn ignition and the oil service message should not appear and the counter has been reset.

Last edited by Ianh on 6th Oct 2020 5:44pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #859910 5th Oct 2020 2:28pm
Phil VM2.5

Belgium 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Hi,
It seems that it is the same with my def 2.2, 190.000km today
So ok with point 1 and 2
Philippe current : defender 110 sw 2.2 puma 2012 and 230.000km today and
again my Range Rover VM2.5 engine from 1992 and 528.000km today.

One ten 1988 to 1992
1987 BMW GS80
One Ten from 1984 to 1987
One Ten from 1983 to 1984
Serie 3 109 from 1980 to 1983
from 1974 Jeep CJ3B and CJ6
Post #860069 6th Oct 2020 1:19pm
ChrisCSL

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Thanks Ian for clarifying
Post #860075 6th Oct 2020 1:39pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
That makes sense Ian. Thanks Thumbs Up
Post #860093 6th Oct 2020 4:04pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Very interesting read thankyou Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #860152 6th Oct 2020 8:46pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Re: Puma 2.2 oil service message. 3 reasons it will come on.
Ianh wrote:
However for point one it could give a false indication. I.e the vehicle could have travelled zero miles over the 12 months since the counter was reset, yet it will still bring up the oil service message on the dash.

The trouble is if you have only traveled say 2 k miles in a year you don’t know if the oil service message is displaying due to point 1 (it’s been 12 months since last reset) , or 3 (it’s due to oil dilution).

Is there a way of knowing if either point 1 or point 3 has triggered the oil service light ? Point 2 would be obvious if counter resets were done correctly at last oil change Smile

thx for this summary. Never thought about it that way Wink

Point 1 triggered my service light several times. And it's quite easy to figure this out :

Just have a look on the bil indicating the date of the last oil change. If it's exactly 365 days, it won't be by coincidence.

P.S.: and mine doesn't consider leap years Rolling Eyes
Post #860155 6th Oct 2020 9:20pm
macfrank

Germany 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Re: Puma 2.2 oil service message. 3 reasons it will come on.
Ianh wrote:

Is there a way of knowing if either point 1 or point 3 has triggered the oil service light ? Point 2 would be obvious

Well, if the message comes on exactly after 12 months or 12000 miles, then it's probably because of these thresholds.
Before that its oil dilution. After that, with the light on, there's no way of telling if the oil's diluted AFAIK (oil level may tell if exactly measured after an oil change).
Post #918765 26th Aug 2021 10:58am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
There's an option 4:

4. You did the service early. The garage couldn't reset the service warning as it can't be reset until it's on. It will now be on for the next 12 months because I really can't be bothered with all that fiddling around to get the damn thing to turn off.
Post #918779 26th Aug 2021 12:58pm
macfrank

Very Happy
Quote:
The garage couldn't reset the service warning as it can't be reset until it's on.

Are you sure on this? I've had all previous services done early (by a few days) by the dealer, because of warranty.
I never saw the message until after the last 12 months had expired, because now I serviced it myself.

And turning it off only took me three attemps Very Happy
Post #918780 26th Aug 2021 1:27pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I do all my servicing myself. When I change the oil I go through the oil service message reset process even though the oil service message has not come on. This resets the counter.

I know this from experience as the only time the oil service message has come up is when I’ve done less than the 12k miles, in my case that will always be less than 5k miles as that’s my oil change interval , and 12 months have passed. If I had not run the oil service message reset procedure when I changed the oil during that 12month period the oil service message would have come up.
This makes sense as LR dealers must do this as part of their service with their scan tools to avoid a false trigger of the oil service message subsequent to their service

Hence if you or a garage do an oil change, even if the oil service message has not appeared, undertake the oil service message reset procedure. All counters will be reset and you won’t have the issue AMBxx refers to above, ie a false trigger of the oil service message. They can do it, or you can do it.

The only issue is you can’t be certain you have reset the oil service message counter because if no message has come up you can’t see that the counter has been reset by the message no longer appearing.

I have a nanocom now so will see if the nanocom can observe the oil service message counter and reset it if required.

Phew. How may times did I write “ oil service message “ Rolling with laughter

Last edited by Ianh on 26th Aug 2021 1:51pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #918783 26th Aug 2021 1:48pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
macfrank wrote:
Very Happy
Quote:
The garage couldn't reset the service warning as it can't be reset until it's on.

Are you sure on this? I've had all previous services done early (by a few days) by the dealer, because of warranty.
I never saw the message until after the last 12 months had expired, because now I serviced it myself.

And turning it off only took me three attemps Very Happy

That's what the garage told me! Embarassed
Maybe they can't tell if they've done it properly either.
Post #918784 26th Aug 2021 1:49pm
macfrank

Very Happy

Good point "how do I know I turned if off if it was off anyway" Rolling Eyes
Would indeed be great if a tool could show the internal state.
Otherwise wait 12 months and a day or repeat the reset procedure at least 10 times - that's probably a new apprentice's task before they tell him to use the scan tool Laughing
Post #918787 26th Aug 2021 2:02pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
The indicator that it has likely worked is when during the reset procedure the red oil can light flashes. I give it a full 5 mins before I turn ignition on and start the engine. From experience it’s always worked and reset the counter. But I always have that little niggle in my head that it may not have.

Also I just read this on the nanocom forum. A member asked if the nanocom could reset the the oil service message on a 2.2 defender Puma. ‘‘This was a year ago and the reply was.

“Hello, till we add this to Nanocom try this trick:

1. Insert key in ignition.
2. Press AND HOLD the trip reset button.
3. While still pressing the trip reset button, turn on the ignition. DO NOT START THE ENGINE. Just turn the ignition on.
4. Keep pressed the trip reset button until word "Service" will flash on the instrument cluster. (about 5 seconds).
5. After a while (no more than 5 seconds) the word "Service" will remain on.
6. Release the reset button.
7. Now, by pressing the reset button, the words DIST, DATE and END are cycled on display.
8. If you want to reset the service distance, cycle until DIST is shown. If you want to reset the time-to-service, cycle until DATE is shown.
9. When the desired item is selected, press and KEEP pressed the reset button until the word RESET is shown.
Do this for both items or only for the one you desire. (I've did it only for time)
10. When you've done, cycle until END appears and then press and HOLD reset button until the display will now show the current (and newly reset) distance and time until next inspection.
11. Turn off the ignition.
12. All done!

or try this:

Ignition on. Pressed both brake and accelerator pedal down for 15 seconds.... Oil light started to flash. Turned the ignition off and let it for around 2 mins. No more oil service indicator.”

Other members said the first process did not work but the second, which I use did.

Interesting that their are distance and date triggers that can be set and shown as it supports my hypothesis in my original post.

I have asked if an update to the nanocom software has now been done or when it’s planned to be.

In the mean time I will Try the first process to see if it works when I try it.
Post #918802 26th Aug 2021 3:13pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Have you had a chance to try the "trip reset button" procedure yet? Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #951517 4th May 2022 7:47am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I did an oil change recently, however in my haste I forgot to see if the the trip reset method worked and used the standard pedal method. Embarassed

I think I will give it a try to see if the word “service” pops up, then see if I can toggle through the menu, then exit without changing. From that at least we will know if the process does give us access to the ECU to reset time and distance triggers.

I will also check on the Nanocom forum to see if they responded to my question on when they will support resetting these counters. I’m not holding my breath on them responding or supporting this request though.
Post #951551 4th May 2022 12:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>