Home > Td5 > Td5 Trim Levels
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Rye54

United Kingdom 
Td5 Trim Levels
Afternoon all,

I am looking to buy my first defender after ogling them for too long now. I have made my mind up on getting a 110 Td5 but I see there are different trim levels and I'm struggling to find a clear description of what these mean in real terms. It's my understanding there is standard, county and XS and having browsed the classified ads the XS seems to average a few thousand more than the standard.

I don't suppose anyone would be kind enough to explain the differences with regards a Td5 or even point me in the right direction if this has been covered previously and I have missed it.

I am happy to pay the extra for XS but would like to know what I am getting for it and whether it may be a sensible option to buy a standard Td5 and do the upgrades to get it to xs spec myself.

Any thought or opinions gratefully received.

Cheers
Ryan
Post #797168 7th Oct 2019 7:31pm
AndyT66

England 2004 Defender 90 2.5 TD XS CSW Zambezi Silver
I have a 2004 station wagon 90 XS
Standard trim was 1/2 leather, carpet, air con, electric windows, heated seats, CD player, heated screen.
Everything still works, I've replaced one air con pipe though. Oh and boost alloys.
The other key whatever you find is a 15p onwards engine for reasons well discussed
Post #797177 7th Oct 2019 8:03pm
derbywill

England 2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Java Black
The other thing which was standard on a XS is ABS and Traction which was an expensive option. And it would be difficult to add to a Defender without it.

Cheers

Will 2005 90 XS
1954 86'' Series 1 tilt
Post #797184 7th Oct 2019 8:45pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Hi, as mentioned by Andy, all those trim 'nice to haves' were standard on an XS during the TD5 era.
The XS also had ABS and Traction Control, which were 2 separate options on other County or base spec. (you had to have ABS before you could add traction control)
ABS can be a life saver in an emergency and winter pack heated screen and seats make it easier to live with as a daily driver.

County spec would have cloth trim seats, electric windows, alloy wheels. Usually antiroll bars on suspension.
Probably a low spec CD/radio or radio/cassette player. (Note even the CD player in the XS was cr@p)

Base spec had vinyl seats, steel wheels and err, Censored all else.

Be very cautious about what you're actually buying, if you don't know the model specs inside out.
There are many converted hard tops being sold as station wagons. Similarly, I've seen plain old trucks advertised as XS spec just because it's had leather seats fitted. A good original XS or genuine County station wagon is worth a higher asking price, a commercial truck with a few bits added simply isn't, no matter what the seller thinks.
Hope that helps Thumbs Up
Post #797185 7th Oct 2019 8:48pm
OsloBlue

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
i think the only real option was rooflight I'm on IG: https://www.instagram.com/osloblue42/
Current: TD5 '110 "Lucinda" Thread here: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic62562.html
Post #797186 7th Oct 2019 8:53pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Then you have weird quirks like my 1999 County SW 110.
Cloth seats, abs and traction control, keep fit Windows, manual locking, no arbs, but alloy wheels!
Post #797202 7th Oct 2019 11:02pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
As another point, I believe that the bulkhead delete bar was standard on post 2002 genuine county station wagons, this is another little thing to look at on deciding whether it's the real thing from factory or converted van spec, should also be full trim throughout for example rear window/alpine light surrounds. Plus full headlining and carpeting in the back/wheel arch surrounds. This is post 2002 county station wagons though as far as I know.

As stated, the extra electric bits were optional throughout the range, so not always a good guide alone, for example, my county station wagon (not xs) has air con/ abs traction control and heated front screen on top of the standard county bits such as electric windows/central locking.

Good luck with your search, it is a bit of a minefield as they are so easy to upgrade this will catch out the unwary.

Mike
Post #797216 8th Oct 2019 7:10am
Rye54

United Kingdom 
OK great, would it state XS on the V5 form? Any other obvious indications that it's a genuine XS spec defender?
Post #797231 8th Oct 2019 8:13am
Mike c

I doubt it would state on the v5, it should state county though, pretty sure mine does, and its registered as estate car. Maybe xs owners could clarify though?

Only half leather heated seats throughout, brunel silver centre dash trim, front grill and light surrounds, also clear front indicators spring to mind, however all this stuff is easily added to lesser spec vehicles.
Post #797232 8th Oct 2019 8:19am
kzycnn

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 110 Td5 XS CSW Oslo Blue
Yes, it should say XS on the V5 - mine does. Also, the XS trim wasn't introduced until the 2002 model year cars (when the 'dash upgrade' was released - so they all should have the 15p engine as well.

Tony
Post #797240 8th Oct 2019 10:18am
Mike c

This surprises me as xs was just an extras pack (all be quite substantial)on the already long established county trim. You learn something new as they say! And it should help the OP Thumbs Up
Post #797243 8th Oct 2019 10:26am
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
Easiest ways to tell factory XS are the Brunel (grey) centre dash surround (just black on a County) and the part-leather seats along with leather-trimmed gear knobs. All can be retro-fitted, but are fairly unlikely to have been because there is no real practical advantage in doing so and the parts are expensive.

I would suggest if a vehicle has all of these, it is very likely to be a factory XS. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #797254 8th Oct 2019 12:16pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Both my old 2005 XS 90 (wish I still had it Sad ) and current 110 say XS on the V5 registration document.
It hadn't occurred to that it would be, a sure way to check.
I'd want a very convincing story and evidence (original bill of sale or factory build sheet) if a claimed to be XS didn't say so on the V5.

Click image to enlarge
Post #797321 8th Oct 2019 7:28pm
Rye54

United Kingdom 
Perfect, thank you very much Thumbs Up
Post #797323 8th Oct 2019 7:37pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I found the Topix build sheet for my poverty spec 2002 110, just all basic stuff, no abs/tc arb's etc etc. Then when I bought it as its second owner from Thames Valley Police at auction it came with abs/tc, as said before that would be fitted at the factory as no-one in their right mind would add it to an allready built motor. It had vinyl seats with the basic 60/40 second row, keep fit windows and no carpeting but then it had an XS steering wheel and also a high level brake light which caused a right royal problem with Autoglass when they replaced a broken one. First they turned up with one without, then one with but for a two piece door and eventually they got it right after 10 days.
My suspicion on its specifications is that it was originally specced as a higher spec model then as it went down the line it was fitted with whatever was available. Theoretically it should have the later rear axle but has an older disc braked Salisbury.
I can say I'm pretty sure that everything on it when I bought it was as it left the factory, it came with a full service history from the Police Workshops and the only major job it had done was a new clutch at around 60K. It also came with the immobiliser as they all do but has a BBSU but no internal barometric sensor and no central locking. It is what it is, I'm happy with it and have added quite a lot to it since I've had it. Sometimes having a blank canvas can be an advantage.
Post #797348 9th Oct 2019 12:20am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>