Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Changing the output shaft
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Changing the output shaft
Hi,

I think I need to put a new clutch in as it is rattling a lot.

However, once up to speed and cruising along, as I am backing off the accelerator, or apply a little more there is a clunk coming from what I presume is the output shaft? it won’t be the half shafts as I have a 1 piece on the rear, so is this wear on the output shaft? It sounds a bit more metallic and seems to come from under the seat box area.

As I understand it, it is advisable to change the output shaft at the same time as doing the clutch.

Question is can anyone advise on the difference between the option offered by LOF Clutches and the Ashcroft one, as there is a big difference in price?

Any help or advice appreciated as I only want to be messing about with this the once!

Cheers all.
Post #797093 7th Oct 2019 1:06pm
deaallen

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
Its well discussed over on this post: https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic65478.html

Personally for me, it depends on how many miles yours has done before needing the output shaft changed as some seem to wear a lot faster than others. I'm going to go with the genuine one when I change my clutch as mine currently seems to be ok
Post #797104 7th Oct 2019 2:24pm
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Cheers, I will take a look at that thread.

In the blurb the one from LOF suggests it’s a genuine one so I may go with that. I’ve done 60k in mine.

Cheers for the info. Very Happy
Post #797105 7th Oct 2019 2:32pm
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Well, after reading that thread I am now no wiser as to go for the genuine or the updated Ashcroft Confused
Post #797113 7th Oct 2019 3:24pm
keef9t

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I share your dilemma.

Have got my output shaft off at the moment. Was expecting to find it worn, 2007 90H/T with 86000 miles on the clock. It looks like new. it had black grease in it. I am the third owner and don't know much about it's repair history.

So should I grease it up again and put it back, put a new genuine in or 'push the boat out' and go Ashcroft Modified.

I remember reading an old post from 'Blackwolf' where he greased the existing one and put it back because he found it in good condition.
Post #797122 7th Oct 2019 4:31pm
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Yep. No idea what mine is actually like, but I think I have the symptoms of a worn one from what I can gather. My trouble is I don’t want to take it all apart and then have it sat at a garage waiting for delivery of parts and then get it booked in, I would rather have the parts waiting and ready to go.

Pain the rear to be honest. Big Cry

I wish I could be sure that’s what it is.
Post #797126 7th Oct 2019 4:40pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Personally I think that the main issues with the adaptor shaft are alignment and assembly. Several have, after failure, been found to be insufficiently inserted into the drive cup, but it isn't clear whether this is because they were never assembled correctly (likely) or have worked their way out (unlikely). So correct assembly is essential.

I think that the main cause of failure is that the gearbox output shaft and the transfer box input shaft are not properly aligned, due either to incorrect specification or incorrect manufacturing. If so, this would mean that some vehicles will have adaptors that fail regularly at short intervals, and others may never fail at all. Again history bears this out, with some Def2 members having had repeated failures at roughly predictable intervals, others having very high mileages with no failures.

If this is correct, then it suggests that if you have a fairly decent mileage on your shaft and it hasn't failed, then it isn't going to. My suggestion therefore is to have a look at the one that comes out and if it is still good, refit it with plenty of molybdenum disulphide grease (the black stuff used in CV joints etc). If the one that comes out looks dodgy, then replace it.

If you have a high mileage shaft and need to replace it, then a standard shaft will probably last a similar high mileage. If you have a low mileage failure, then fit an Ashcroft kit to ensure better lubrication (a low mileage failure suggests to me that there is an alignment issue and there is constant fretting of the joint as it wiggles in operation).

Bear in mind also that the most likely component to be the source of the misalignment is the extension housing on the gearbox, so if you fit a replacement gearbox you may, if I am right, alter the failure characteristics of your coupling.

I last fitted a new clutch to my own 2007 double cab at 150,000 miles a few years ago. At that time the original coupling was bone dry but a better fit than the brand new, genuine, standard replacement I had already bought on the assumption that the original must be on the way out. Because of this, I lubed it generously and refitted the original. I did also change the transfer box, which could conceivably introduce an alignment issue.

Now, with the mileage now a little over 240,000 miles, I need to replace the clutch again (squeezing 90k miles out of a standard clutch is quite an achievement in its own right!) and have just ordered the parts to do this. It will be interesting to see what the original coupling is like now, after very nearly a quarter of a million miles.
Post #797134 7th Oct 2019 5:23pm
ChrisDefender

United Kingdom 
Hi Blackwolf,

Many thanks for that reply, it has now made things clearer. I think I was getting a bit bogged down with it!

The clutch is rattling a lot when the pedal isn’t pressed down, so I think I am going to swap that out for a LOF one, so I will take a look at the shaft and make a now, informed decision.

Much appreciated mate. Thank you.
Post #797136 7th Oct 2019 5:32pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
The jolt could be coming from the front drive members. they arent 1 piece at they are on the CVs.

i have one coupling at 82k and no failure but am thinking when the clutch is done to take a look and if it needs it i will replace with ashcroft one for simple piece of mind. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #797183 7th Oct 2019 9:31pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Out of curiosity what is the symptoms of these being very worn?
I assume backlash similar to having worn drive flanges and splines?
Is there an approximate amount of degrees play max I could check for somehow?

My adaptor shaft has done 77k, as far as I'm aware from new.
Last clutch was changed at about 42k, it was checked (adaptor shaft) and I was told it was in excellent condition.
I subsequently as advised here asked them to grease it too, then the new genuine clutch went in and has been excellent since. The LR technician that was on the phone at the time told me the flywheel was fine, and so was the adaptor shaft so could stay as they were with no problem. Just changing the clutch only.

I'm tending to think I should think about shortly getting an adaptor shaft in case it's needed at some point, or at least saving for one and possible other parts like another clutch.
That way it brings down the cost in one go, which if all at once can be pretty significant sum.

The adaptor shaft is always a bit of a concern with its tendency to let go leaving you stranded wherever that may be, not to mention the safety consequences.
As I've had good mileage I'd be inclined to go Genuine if I did get another in my case. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #832979 23rd May 2020 10:18pm
2010Blackdefender90

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
ChrisDefender wrote:
Well, after reading that thread I am now no wiser as to go for the genuine or the updated Ashcroft Confused

Clunks as you describe could be many things... clutch ratting at tickover is a sign the clutch is going.

The clunks could be many things, the output shaft just goes, but could be masked by drive shaft, diffs, drive flanges. Mine crashed and banged, the rear diff and drive shafts were shot, all was quite for 4 months and the front started.

My output shaft was replaced at 80K, was worn out on one side, some people have had many let go. Replaced ALL my drive line with Ashcroft parts and ATB’s, f/c/r. Zero clunking, zero.
Post #832981 23rd May 2020 10:25pm
2010Blackdefender90

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
blackwolf wrote:
Personally I think that the main issues with the adaptor shaft are alignment and assembly. Several have, after failure, been found to be insufficiently inserted into the drive cup, but it isn't clear whether this is because they were never assembled correctly (likely) or have worked their way out (unlikely). So correct assembly is essential.

I think that the main cause of failure is that the gearbox output shaft and the transfer box input shaft are not properly aligned, due either to incorrect specification or incorrect manufacturing. If so, this would mean that some vehicles will have adaptors that fail regularly at short intervals, and others may never fail at all. Again history bears this out, with some Def2 members having had repeated failures at roughly predictable intervals, others having very high mileages with no failures.

If this is correct, then it suggests that if you have a fairly decent mileage on your shaft and it hasn't failed, then it isn't going to. My suggestion therefore is to have a look at the one that comes out and if it is still good, refit it with plenty of molybdenum disulphide grease (the black stuff used in CV joints etc). If the one that comes out looks dodgy, then replace it.

If you have a high mileage shaft and need to replace it, then a standard shaft will probably last a similar high mileage. If you have a low mileage failure, then fit an Ashcroft kit to ensure better lubrication (a low mileage failure suggests to me that there is an alignment issue and there is constant fretting of the joint as it wiggles in operation).

Bear in mind also that the most likely component to be the source of the misalignment is the extension housing on the gearbox, so if you fit a replacement gearbox you may, if I am right, alter the failure characteristics of your coupling.

I last fitted a new clutch to my own 2007 double cab at 150,000 miles a few years ago. At that time the original coupling was bone dry but a better fit than the brand new, genuine, standard replacement I had already bought on the assumption that the original must be on the way out. Because of this, I lubed it generously and refitted the original. I did also change the transfer box, which could conceivably introduce an alignment issue.

Now, with the mileage now a little over 240,000 miles, I need to replace the clutch again (squeezing 90k miles out of a standard clutch is quite an achievement in its own right!) and have just ordered the parts to do this. It will be interesting to see what the original coupling is like now, after very nearly a quarter of a million miles.

Impressive mileage on a clutch Thumbs Up
Post #832983 23rd May 2020 10:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1