↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Watch servicing recommendations
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Watch servicing recommendations
Can anyone recommend a company that will service a Breitling watch?

I was looking at Luxurywatchrepairs.com as they appear legit with premises in Hatton Garden and Harvey Nicks in Manchester. Can anyone here vouch for them?
Post #797027 6th Oct 2019 9:57pm
Yulong

United Kingdom 
I do a lot on premium vintage watch forums, the current go-to guy is Duncan Potter at

https://genesiswatchmaking.co.uk/
Post #797031 6th Oct 2019 10:06pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Cheers, I'll check them out.
Post #797078 7th Oct 2019 11:26am
Yulong

United Kingdom 
If central London suits you better these guys are good too, they do a lot of work for the high-end vintage sellers around Mayfair

https://www.russelltalerman.com/
Post #797090 7th Oct 2019 12:46pm
m3vert

Scotland 2011 Defender 110 2.5 TD PU Stornoway Grey
If you find someone decent who can service it at a reasonable price, please let me know! I have a Super Avenger lying in the safe that is in need of a service but I am loathed to pay what I am being quoted!! Jon Watch Repairs in Glasgow will service any Rolex for 99quid + VAT (when on offer) but even when their offer isn't on the Rolex service price is around the 150 quid mark from them which is excellent. However they are quoting me 500quid for the Breitling which I just don't get!
Look forward to you letting me know you have found somewhere at a reasonable price Razz
Post #797210 8th Oct 2019 6:05am
Tim in Scotland

I take my Breitling Aerospace to Maplin and Webb in Glasgow’s Argyll Arcade, who are official agents in the UK and the price has been reasonable. It even came back with modified bezel clasps (those hook things on the rotating bezel that always got hooked on pullover sleeves!) done for free.
I once took an expensive TAG to Watches of Switzerland - told me about a month to replace the battery and clean it, 2 weeks later watch returned..... first time I went windsurfing afterwards it let in water......

The Breitling’s battery went flat when I was in Singapore a few years ago and I took it to the Breitling workshop there. The guy in front of me handed over his watch, receptionist got out her eyeglass and checked the serial number, reached under the table and brought out a big hammer ............. smashed the watch as it was a copywatch! Fortunately mine passed the serial number test without needing a big hammer test too! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #797229 8th Oct 2019 9:11am
m3vert

Tim when you say reasonable what are you talking? I assume you have a superquartz Breitling. Mine is an automatic which I expect is pricier for servicing? I will pop into the Argyll arcade next time I am in Glasgow and see what the various vendors there quote for it Smile
I bought a Rolex GMT ii in there from one of the big groups and they gave me a free service on the watch as part of the deal but seems Rolex are cheaper to service than Breitling which I am surprised at.
Post #797259 8th Oct 2019 1:40pm
24heuer

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
yeah, Breitling's own service centre costs can be eye-watering Big Cry
https://www.breitling.com/gb-en/service/prices/breitling/

I still went for it though with my B1 as the movement was hosed and they replaced it completely with the newer version within the costs of the service. Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://24heuer.com
Post #797265 8th Oct 2019 3:15pm
Yulong

United Kingdom 
There's servicing and there's servicing...

£150 on a Rolex will be the barest clean up and re-lube, simply not possible to be a proper full job at that money. Years ago I used a guy called Steve Burrage at RyteTime who did this for £60, it got cheap autos and stuff going but it's not something I'd recommend on a £5k watch.

At Rolex or a truly qualified independent it's totally dismantled into all the bits, gone through with a fine tooth comb, externals refreshed to new and then tested for several hours for timekeeping and waterproofness. Hence the £500 bill (or £300 or so an at good independent).

Of course, you pays your money and takes your choice.
Post #797268 8th Oct 2019 3:26pm
24heuer

Scotland 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
I agree with what Yulong says.

Depending on the movement, access to parts can also be a factor.

Rich Askham has done a great job servicing a few vintage watches for me also.
http://thewatchspotblog.com Cheers,
Andy...
Edinburgh, Scotland
http://24heuer.com
Post #797270 8th Oct 2019 3:36pm
Tim in Scotland

m3vert wrote:
Tim when you say reasonable what are you talking? I assume you have a superquartz Breitling. Mine is an automatic which I expect is pricier for servicing? I will pop into the Argyll arcade next time I am in Glasgow and see what the various vendors there quote for it Smile
I bought a Rolex GMT ii in there from one of the big groups and they gave me a free service on the watch as part of the deal but seems Rolex are cheaper to service than Breitling which I am surprised at.

£120 to be returned to Breitling - mine us 30 years old now and is one of the smaller sized ones with the 2 LCD screens in a grey face. My brother was given both an Omega and a Rolex as bonuses a few years ago I know that he winces whenever either of them needs cleaning/rating etc >£600 IIRC.

I gave a Gold self-winding gents dress watch by Baum & Mercier and that is rather wallet numbing to service - it was a gift for 25 service with my employer, I rarely wear it as it is so thin I’m frightened I will bend it! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #797271 8th Oct 2019 3:41pm
Yulong

United Kingdom 
24heuer wrote:
I agree with what Yulong says.

Depending on the movement, access to parts can also be a factor.

Rich Askham has done a great job servicing a few vintage watches for me also.
http://thewatchspotblog.com

Yep Richie's a good guy too, did work on a vintage chonograph of mine running a Valjoux 7750 movement so he knows his onions. He gets quite a bit of trade from a forum I do a lot on (TZ-UK).

Not sure if he'll touch branded stuff though like Rolex or Breitling but always worth a try.
Post #797275 8th Oct 2019 4:17pm
m3vert

Yulong wrote:
There's servicing and there's servicing...

£150 on a Rolex will be the barest clean up and re-lube, simply not possible to be a proper full job at that money. Years ago I used a guy called Steve Burrage at RyteTime who did this for £60, it got cheap autos and stuff going but it's not something I'd recommend on a £5k watch.

At Rolex or a truly qualified independent it's totally dismantled into all the bits, gone through with a fine tooth comb, externals refreshed to new and then tested for several hours for timekeeping and waterproofness. Hence the £500 bill (or £300 or so an at good independent).

Of course, you pays your money and takes your choice.

I think if you check out Jon Watch Repairs you will see he is the real deal. His offer was 99.99+VAT so 119.98 in August for any Rolex service, however that did not included any movement or casing parts that needed replaced, they would be charged separate if required. Case and bracelet refurb was an extra 298.98 if requested and it came with a 4 year warranty.

So if you just wanted a basic service and didn't want your watch polished (which a lot of people don't want these days) 119.98 was a bargain, ok I am sure most would cough up for at least a new gasket but if your watch is working fine and isn't that old thus the main spring and axle are in good order, billy bargain from a well respected watch repairer. All Rolex parts used and it did include a full strip down by the way Wink

His current offer on Rolex full service, price includes replacing the 4 main parts (main spring, axle for oscillating weight, case back and glass gasket), refurb of case & bracelet + 4 yr warranty is 395+vat

I have no connection with this guy but I recognize a good deal when I see one. Don't get me started on Rolex's own servicing centre!! They are not that brilliant at times either, I have had experience first hand (on more than one occasion)and they won't get any of my watches again, unless warranty work!! I have also dealt directly with Breitlings service centre and again average at best (I am being kind with average). All my servicing will be done by reputable independents nowadays, just need to wait on a deal from Jon on Breilting I think Smile
Post #797350 9th Oct 2019 5:57am
Yulong

United Kingdom 
m3vert wrote:
His current offer on Rolex full service, price includes replacing the 4 main parts (main spring, axle for oscillating weight, case back and glass gasket), refurb of case & bracelet + 4 yr warranty is 395+vat

Ah okay that explains it; RSC prices are inclusive of movement parts with only externals such as crystals chargeable.

Will definitely check out JON though, got a few old divers that need some fettling Very Happy
Post #797402 9th Oct 2019 1:43pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1