↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > New Defender’s Missing Important Tech for the 2020s
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
ken

United Kingdom 
My Model X has F&R recording Rolling with laughter
Post #799890 29th Oct 2019 2:41pm
NMBRPL8

Australia 
my sIIA burnt to smithereens after the batteries spontaneously went up in flames
/emoticon of some dude laughing his tits off/
Post #800041 30th Oct 2019 11:24am
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Re: New Defender’s Missing Important Tech for the 2020s
Tim in Scotland wrote:
The New Defender showcases several new tech items for JLR but surely they missed on one extra that many many people look to fit these days - front and rear dash cams. Surely with all the cameras fitted as standard and all the computing ability it wouldn’t have been too hard to add a recording function and memory to the surround cam system - a sort of venture cam for the 2020’s instead of the 1980’s. Just imagine the mark up they could have for electronically inserting a digital Land Rover signature to the video as well! When your New Defender has been stolen a ‘see through’ bonnet or clearview rear view mirror isn’t much use but cams that communicates with your Land Rover app could well be.

Could be that there are a huge number of markets where dash cams are illegal?
Post #800272 31st Oct 2019 11:49pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Nope.

Only three European countries have an outright ban. (Portugal, Austria, Luxembourg). JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #800281 1st Nov 2019 7:22am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
How do you know that camera-equipped New Defenders don't record? You have absolutely no idea what vehicle data is recorded and accessible remotely nowadays. The fact that the driver/owner doesn't have access to it or know about it doesn't mean that it isn't collected.

The range and scope of the data that some vehicles collect (and send to manufacturers and others) is quite disturbing. Post accident data on some US vehicles includes which seats were occupied and the mass of the person in the seat, for example.
Post #800296 1st Nov 2019 9:01am
Justtellme

Canada 2003 Defender 110 Td5 SW Oslo Blue
Widget wrote:
Nope.

Only three European countries have an outright ban. (Portugal, Austria, Luxembourg).

Hmmmm, I just spent the three last years living in the Netherlands and received written direction from the national police that that us NATO folks were not permitted to install them.
They are technically legal here in Canada and the US, however there are some grey areas like border crossing where they are not to be used.
Post #800305 1st Nov 2019 10:24am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Netherlands is perfectly legal, I wonder if the direction was for the avoidance of doubt that the cameras weren't being used for any other purpose because of your role and nationality? JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #800322 1st Nov 2019 12:24pm
pom

it has a lot of negatives, waiting on the commercial to see if its 30% cheaper for starters.

very poor dealer network for the inevitable build problems/reliability.

weak tech

no autopilot
no lane assist

weak engine options

crappy 2 lite oil burner

i really want to get in a LR again but after the abortion that is the D5 its not looking good.
Post #808200 31st Dec 2019 9:17am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
blackwolf wrote:
How do you know that camera-equipped New Defenders don't record? You have absolutely no idea what vehicle data is recorded and accessible remotely nowadays. The fact that the driver/owner doesn't have access to it or know about it doesn't mean that it isn't collected.

The range and scope of the data that some vehicles collect (and send to manufacturers and others) is quite disturbing. Post accident data on some US vehicles includes which seats were occupied and the mass of the person in the seat, for example.

I can't speak for the US, but the GDPR regs in Europe are very strict, companies can't collect personal data without your permission.The stuff going back to the manufacturer routinely, whatever it is, must be anonymous unless you've signed something to say otherwise. I'm not saying they don't collect it, but the owner must give their permission at some point and there must be something in place to make sure it stops if the car changes hands. It is almost certain the car itself logs a lot of data onboard, but that shouldn't go anywhere unless specifically accessed by say the cops after a bump. Again, JLR wouldn't be able to just investigate your crash without your permission, the exception being if they can do it without identifying you.

I'm doubtful they would routinely collect video data even if they are allowed to. It requires a lot of electronic storage and transmission which is still expensive. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #808207 31st Dec 2019 10:06am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Bluest wrote:
It is almost certain the car itself logs a lot of data onboard, but that shouldn't go anywhere unless specifically accessed by say the cops after a bump.

Anecdotally, I've heard of dealers downloading data such as acceleration data, use of launch control, time at Wide Open Throttle, etc as part of warranty investigations.
Post #808323 1st Jan 2020 7:45am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Bluest wrote:
blackwolf wrote:

I can't speak for the US, but the GDPR regs in Europe are very strict, companies can't collect personal data without your permission.The stuff going back to the manufacturer routinely, whatever it is, must be anonymous unless you've signed something to say otherwise. I'm not saying they don't collect it, but the owner must give their permission at some point and there must be something in place to make sure it stops if the car changes hands. It is almost certain the car itself logs a lot of data onboard, but that shouldn't go anywhere unless specifically accessed by say the cops after a bump. Again, JLR wouldn't be able to just investigate your crash without your permission, the exception being if they can do it without identifying you.

I'm doubtful they would routinely collect video data even if they are allowed to. It requires a lot of electronic storage and transmission which is still expensive.

It's very difficult/impossible to anonymise data that includes location - ignition starts at my home location, simple postcode lookup gives address. Lookup on electoral roll to get names.
That said, anyone with a mobile phone is giving their location data to all and sundry (even with gps off - wifi or cell towers sufficient).

You'll have agreed to the data collection when you bought the car - what do you mean, you didn't see it at the bottom of page 200 of the online documentation?
Post #808336 1st Jan 2020 9:40am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
blackwolf wrote:

There's a story on the BBC website about a terrible incident where a chap was shot and killed with a crossbow. Amongst the evidence against the guy that is accused of doing it, is this extract about data collected from his Discovery Sport:

Quote:
Jurors were also told a Land Rover Discovery belonging to Mr Whall's partner had a system which recorded data of its use and showed the vehicle being used in the area for a recce the night before the shooting and then at the time Mr Corrigan was shot.

As well as tracking the car's location, the device also had details such as when the car was locked and unlocked, when a door or the boot was opened and closed, and each time the engine was switched on and off.

The car was found two weeks later burnt out at a disused quarry near Bangor and the defendant said it had been stolen.

While the system was destroyed in the fire, the information about its movements was retained centrally by Jaguar Land Rover.

Big brother is definitely watching. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #811543 22nd Jan 2020 9:31pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Here's interesting new tech:

Third Row Podcast (@thirdrowtesla) Tweeted:

Tesla has patented a next generation steering wheel that includes touchscreens with haptic feedback.
No more gear shifter — change gears with your steering wheel.
You’ll be able to control your touch screen without reaching over — just swipe on your wheel instead.
Thoughts?
https://t.co/tDPiiUBZob https://twitter.com/thirdrowtesla/status/1225578523563188224?s=20
Post #814038 7th Feb 2020 12:56pm
Ads90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Keswick Green
No more gear shifter — change gears with your steering wheel...

Thought you could already do this with paddles or physical buttons on the wheel on many cars?
Also give me tactile real switches/buttons over touch-screen any day!
And besides, I didn't think Teslas had gears, well apart from PNRD I suppose, but even then, you don't want to accidentally put it in reverse when you touch the freakin screen by mistake. Rolling Eyes
Post #814050 7th Feb 2020 2:55pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Supacat wrote:
Here's interesting new tech:
Thoughts?

Telsas don't have gears. And touchscreens in cars should be banned.
Post #814054 7th Feb 2020 3:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12