↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Passport renewals
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Tim in Scotland

Passport renewals
Having seen the ads on TV from the Govt to check passports before Brexit day. I did and despite having 13 months to run on mine and 2 empty visa pages, the govt.uk/Brexit website recommended renewing my passport. Got new photos done that have a digital Id and applied online on Monday afternoon this week, posted off my old passport Tuesday afternoon, the passport office confirmed receipt on Thursday 10am, 1030 they emailed to say the new passport has been issued and will go to the printers. 3pm Thursday another email to say new passport will be passed to the courier company soon. 3:15pm Friday courier delivered new passport to my front door.
I commented that that was impressively quick and the driver told he regularly gets people telling him that they get their new passport in 2 days. I live out in the sticks so I cannot complain that it took 3 days all told.
I highly recommend renewing a passport online. Now I have to wait for my old passport to be returned as it contains several visa that remain valid.
The website says it will take about 3 weeks, I suspect that that might be before the Easter holiday breaks when people are starting to go away after the winter. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on 27th Sep 2019 5:28pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #795430 27th Sep 2019 3:56pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I received a text today recommending I renew my passport, how timely! Thumbs Up James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #795443 27th Sep 2019 4:48pm
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
Think the old passport will be cancelled along with any visas, hopefully I am wrong. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #795446 27th Sep 2019 4:52pm
Tim in Scotland

I have had US C1/D visas to work onboard ships and yachts in the US for some 40 years and every time I renew a passport the old passport is returned with the visas still valid until they expire, not the passport expiry. Same with my Canadian, Chinese, Indian, Nigerian, Argentine and Australian work visas. Don’t know about tourist visas, but I don’t see why they cannot be the same. The only difference is my old passports have a big hole punched in them but the hole doesn’t deface any of the visas Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #795452 27th Sep 2019 5:13pm
parktag

France 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Zermatt Silver
I renewed my passport and also my daughters passport earlier this month. Did the internet thing and posted the old passports back to England and Within ten days i had my new passports. All went very smoothly and it's so much easier than it used to be. It did cost 100 pounds each though but at least i don't need to do it for another ten years. 130 crew cab
98 V8 Disco
Post #795665 28th Sep 2019 7:55pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I need to get mine renewed.... Only issue is finding a gap without travel at the moment!!
Post #795740 29th Sep 2019 10:06am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Agree that it is super efficient on-line. But I popped on a flight back to London, had my appointment at the Passport Office first thing, went to the boozer and drank loads of ale, (which I can rarely do over here), had a nice fish and chip lunch, bought a few packs of sausages, picked up my passport, took the flight home and bed.

I know which version i prefer Whistle Thumbs Up Rolling with laughter Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #795754 29th Sep 2019 11:00am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
The bit that really impressed me was when I came to renew my driving licence online. If it finds your passport details, you just refuse the photo.
Post #795756 29th Sep 2019 11:02am
Tim in Scotland

AMBxx, thanks for your posting, I didn’t know I could apply for a credit card licence online and my pink paper one is now almost in 8 pieces. I wasn’t able to apply for a photo licence previously because they wanted my passport as ID and I have to be ready to drop everything and fly off to the other side of the world at 12 hours notice so could never apply. Now all done on-line in 10 minutes and as you say you give them permission to access your passport details for the photo. Now let’s see if DVLA can beat the passport office to get my new drivers licence to me as quickly as UKPO did! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #795781 29th Sep 2019 12:45pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
A mate has just renewed his passport it no longer says European Union on the front. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #795785 29th Sep 2019 12:59pm
Tim in Scotland

I’ve just checked my new one and you are right.
Disaapointing that you still don’t get the option to have a blue passport, not that it really bothers me, but the choice would be nice and it isn’t an EU requirement that they are maroon despite all the fuss some folks have made - several EU member states issue blue covered passports too Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #795786 29th Sep 2019 1:04pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Tim in Scotland wrote:
AMBxx, thanks for your posting, I didn’t know I could apply for a credit card licence online and my pink paper one is now almost in 8 pieces. I wasn’t able to apply for a photo licence previously because they wanted my passport as ID and I have to be ready to drop everything and fly off to the other side of the world at 12 hours notice so could never apply. Now all done on-line in 10 minutes and as you say you give them permission to access your passport details for the photo. Now let’s see if DVLA can beat the passport office to get my new drivers licence to me as quickly as UKPO did!

Don't forget - now you have a photo driving licence, you will need to renew it every 10 years. Idea
Post #795795 29th Sep 2019 2:03pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
One of the reasons i have held grimly onto my old 'pink' licence even though its been through the wash, etc over the years......
Post #795797 29th Sep 2019 2:12pm
Tim in Scotland

AMBxx wrote:
Don't forget - now you have a photo driving licence, you will need to renew it every 10 years. Idea

Will have to remember that I have passport and driving licence to renew in the same week then - just have to remember to put a post-note into the passport before my memory turns to cheese...... Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #795800 29th Sep 2019 2:41pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
90 Dreamer wrote:
One of the reasons i have held grimly onto my old 'pink' licence even though its been through the wash, etc over the years......

I have kept hold of my GREEN one which replaced my expired RED book. I get strange looks when asked for my driving licence. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #795809 29th Sep 2019 3:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>