↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > DPF preventative maintenance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
PCM

United Kingdom 
DPF preventative maintenance
First off I've never actually had an issue with the DPF on my Puma.
However there are lots of posts about DPF warning lights and bits about passive and active regenerations.

Info from landrover is based on what to do when the amber warning light is on.

(An amber warning light illuminates and is accompanied by a DPF message in the message centre of your Land Rover’s dash. As such, you will need to drive steadily at approximately 40 – 70 mph to allow the particles to be burnt away. The regeneration process will take between 10 and 20 minutes to complete. Once completed, the amber warning lamp extinguishes.)

However is there any preventative things you cna do to ensure it doesn't get to this stage. Is there a way to activate the regeneration process without the light on. When and under what conditions does the system passively regenerate?

I'm trying to keep the vehicle in tip top condition rather than replace broken bits as they fail. Is the same advice above relevent to defenders?

Thanks in advance

PCM
Post #795394 27th Sep 2019 1:08pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I don't think the DPF is a real issue on the Defender, the engine works pretty hard just moving the brick shape along Laughing So the exhaust and hence the DPF runs warm enough to passively regenerate.

They don't seem to block for something to do unlike little diesel cars.

If you really want to make sure that DPF doesn't block just give it a decent 30 minute A road/dual carriageway/motorway run once a month.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #795397 27th Sep 2019 1:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
I just drive mine. It’s my daily commuter, only 14 miles each way but this is enough time to get upto temperature and complete a DPF regeneration if one is required. It’s done this for 5 years and not had any issues yet.

Just keep driving normal and not too short of a trip and you’ll be fine 👍 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #795404 27th Sep 2019 2:00pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
Thanks Martin.
So is it heat that passively regenerates it. I.e Burns it off. This makes sense, but why then the need to drive at a constant speed for the active regeneration?
I'm up and down all the time in traffic, town, motorways, so wondered if the stop start nature means it won't do it's thing.
As you say, Probably worried about nothing. Same as changing oil every 6 months or so.
Post #795405 27th Sep 2019 2:02pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Yes heat does the regeneration.

The waste heat during normal engine running cleans it up a little = passive regen.

Active regen injects diesel into the cylinders during the exhaust stroke to raise the exhaust gas temperature. You can normally hear this when driving as the combustion noise is "fizzy"/buzzy.

As you thought, the constant speed recommendation is to prevent the active regen stopping before the DPF has cleared. Hence dual carriageway/motorway also being recommended as the chance of stopping is reduced.

I've also had mine 5 years, typically rural use but it does get a motorway run (not for DPF reasons). No problems with mine.  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #795408 27th Sep 2019 2:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Scotm

Scotland 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Orkney Grey
If you got an Ultragauge or similar you can use it to monitor the cat/DPF temperature to see when the DPF is generating.

The Ultragauge also lets you set a temperature alarm for any of the readings so you could set one to tell you when the DPF is regenerating say greater than 550degs.

Mine regenerates every 200-250 miles which is usually once a week for me.
Post #795415 27th Sep 2019 3:01pm
Julie

France 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
In my user manual they indicate a max speed of circa 110 km/h . Above that speed no ACTIVE DPF filter cleaning will be performed.
Post #795420 27th Sep 2019 3:31pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
That's another item on the shopping list...
It's got to stop somewhere Bow down
Post #795428 27th Sep 2019 3:48pm
Roy5695

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Indus Silver
If you’re really clever you could build the ultragauge into the dash binnacle Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge
 2011 Defender DCPU 2.2 - https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic30623.html

Instagram - @r22oyp

Roy
Post #795439 27th Sep 2019 4:43pm
PCM

United Kingdom 
Yours is the best one I've seen that makes use of the space in an asthetically pleaseing way. Thumbs Up
I'll admit it's on the list, but then so are a lot of the mods you have already. I've just finihsed security, (i hope) so now on to play things.

I've just noticed on the ultragague website they do a fully customisable ipad/phone one. I wonder if you could add a phone/tablet to the dash, or even a tablet and remove the dials completedly... hmmmm

Anyway this is far away from the DPF preventaive maintenance this topis started as. but that's closed as I'm just not going to worry.
Post #795461 27th Sep 2019 5:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1