↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > Raised air intake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Cheshire Dave

England 
Raised air intake
What's a good quality raised air intake system? Must be simple to fit!
300tdi 110
Post #794873 24th Sep 2019 3:57pm
Pilgrimmick

United Kingdom 
The two are not really compatible, especially if you want it for deep water, not just less dust. 80" 1948
Lightweight V8
Bowler Tomcat
130 Station wagon
90 300tdi
(Santana PS10 pick up)
Range Rover L322 (Ful fat)
Post #794908 24th Sep 2019 6:35pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
It kind of depends on what you want it for, your budget and also your taste.

If you want to keep water out, then it's typically a more complicated proposition requiring work beyond just bolting on a snorkel, as the rest of the intake system really needs to be sealed, too.

Most of them are pretty simple to fit and follow a pattern of fixing to the wing intake and to the windscreen pillar. Some require fixings into the wing (e.g. Safari, Mantec 'plastic jobby'), making them more difficult to reverse.

You can buy a traditional metal snorkel with mushroom top for around £70 but you can also spend several hundred on the likes of those from Safari or Nakatanenga. They all have very different looks though, and only you can decide what sort of thing you like.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Mantec plastic version of their original metal snorkel, as fitted to some of the G4 vehicles, as I think they look cool - basically a modern version of the traditional model..

Click image to enlarge
 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #794938 24th Sep 2019 8:32pm
Bluericky

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Keswick Green
I hope you don’t mind me jumping into this thread .
I’d like to fit a raised air intake , we get a lot of flooding in the valleys around here and it would nice to have reassurance . I have the Nugget intake kit and am planning on upgrading to the Nugget air box as well .
Personally I like the Mantec Plastic G4 version , I find the Mantec plastic jobby and the Safari snorkels a bit too much of a statement , although the ram air effect at speed is attractive !

1.I can’t seem to find the G4 version for sale anywhere , anyone know where it can be picked up or even if they’re still being manufactured?

2.Also I noted BAS tuning does not recommend a snorkel , how much will it effect performance ? https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #797701 11th Oct 2019 8:34am
Bluericky

I should add it’s the plastic G4 I’m after not the metal versions !! https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #797704 11th Oct 2019 8:41am
LandRoverAnorak

If you have the Nugget kit then it's not straightforward, I'm afraid. I bought both that and the plastic Mantec 'G4' but then discovered that it's all but impossible to fit them both at the same time, as where they meet at the wing with one in place then you can't get to the fixings for the other. It's probably not an insurmountable problem if you don't mind hacking some parts about a bit, but I wasn't prepared to do that.

My solution was to sell the lot and instead buy a Nakatanenga snorkel (still to fit), which gives the benefits of both in one piece of kit.

With regards your other question, Pete Bell did some rolling road tests a few years ago and pretty comprehensively proved that fitting a snorkel was bad for performance. Some were better than others but all were worse than the standard set-up. (The same goes for air filters but that's another story). However, by far the biggest restriction in the air intake is the plastic pipework from wing to airbox. If you solve this with either the Nugget kit or Nakatanenga snorkel then the problem effectively goes away. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

Post #797709 11th Oct 2019 9:18am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Bluericky wrote:
...BAS tuning does not recommend a snorkel , how much will it effect performance ?

I think that this statement requires caution. If you compare two vehicles with identical air passages between the wing intake and the turbo, but one with a snorkel and one without, then the one without can be expected to perform better. This is simply because pulling air through a longer pipe is harder and there is more friction than pulling air through a shorter pipe.

If however you compare a standard Defender with no snorkel and the original utterly pathetic under-wing pipework to a Defender with a properly engineered induction system and snorkel, then the latter will knock spots off the former.

My intake has gone through several evolutions to get to its final form. I am of course starting with a 2.4 Puma, so the original system is undoubtedly much more offensive and inadequate than the OP's 300Tdi!

1. Standard in every way except for the addition of a classic Mantec steel RAI (Camel Trophy style). Effect on engine performance - not noticeable.

2. As above, but with the air box modified to remove the centrifugal separator and internal restrictions (safe since the Mantec RAI has an effective centrifugal precleaner). Effect on engine performance - definitely noticeable, engine revs more freely.

3. As above, but with Mantec RAI replaced with a Nakatanenga wing-top large bore snorkel with large bore underwing pipework to filter box. Effect on engine performance - an even more noticeable improvement than the previous change, engine even sounds happier, and there's a lovely burble from the precleaner at the top of the stack.

4. As above, but with the original crappy air box replaced with a Nugget box. Effect on engine performance - to be honest, no real change from before, but much greater peace of mind knowing that there is now nowhere that water can get in, and that grin-making satisfaction that there's some really cool engineering under the bonnet. It is also really useful to be able to see through the clear top of the filter to check for dirt and moisture, plus no more faffing about trying to get the lid on the crappy original airbox any more.

Overall the difference in performance from an ex-factory state to evolution 4 is very significant. I wasn't out to try to imporve performance of the vehicle, I wanted a properly engineered, high quality, sealed induction system, but there is no doubt that the engine sounds happier, revs more freely, seems to use less fuel, and the vehicle is just nicer to drive than before. Plus, to my eyes it looks better, though I accept that this is highly subjective and many people won't like the look. By my estimation the cross-sectional area of the most restrictive part of the finished system is around four times that of the original Landrover system (the originals system of tiny, restrictive, poorly-fitting and generally just nasty blow-moulded plastic pipes is frankly shameful)!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #797711 11th Oct 2019 10:13am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Re: Raised air intake
Cheshire Dave wrote:
What's a good quality raised air intake system? Must be simple to fit!
300tdi 110

Hi Dave. I actually have a 300tdi Mantec RAI sitting in my garage (Whitchurch, Shrops) if you are interested. It is used but perfectly serviceable. Can get pics tomorrow if so.
Post #797713 11th Oct 2019 10:52am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
I have a Southdown on my Tdi and can't fault it. Minimal joints on the pipework to reduce the chances of water entry and being on the front of the windscreen frame rather than the side of the wing, it doesn't catch trees too badly. The downside is you have to chop a large hole in the wing to install it.

Click image to enlarge
 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #797715 11th Oct 2019 11:27am
Bluericky

Thank you all for your input . I wasn’t wanting to fettle too much , in fact I was hoping there’d be none at all !
I’m going to get in touch with Nugget and see what they recommend, I believe he’s on the forum .
The Mantec / Land Rover plastic jobby looks a little more restricted in design than the Nakatenga or G4 but if that’s the only way to go then so be it ! https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #797749 11th Oct 2019 6:00pm
Bluericky

Actually didn’t require getting in touch , a quick read of their website and they supply a kit for fitting the Mantec but it appears it requires the purchase of an aluminium adapter plate at a rather eye watering price !

https://www.nuggetstuff.com/product/defend...-polished/ https://www.instagram.com/hustynminepark/
Post #797750 11th Oct 2019 6:05pm
LandRoverAnorak

Wow. Makes the Naka snorkel look to be a complete bargain Shocked Darren

Post #797767 11th Oct 2019 7:46pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Bluericky wrote:
Actually didn’t require getting in touch , a quick read of their website and they supply a kit for fitting the Mantec but it appears it requires the purchase of an aluminium adapter plate at a rather eye watering price !

https://www.nuggetstuff.com/product/defend...-polished/

And that is why I made my own and am about to upgrade it to a 102mm diameter pipe. Crazy ludicrous price... Rolling with laughter
Post #797780 11th Oct 2019 8:41pm
dorsetsmith

Click image to enlarge

make your own two parts too start with all gasket and fixing for wing fitting
Post #797805 12th Oct 2019 7:01am
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
this might interest you
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic61830.html 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #800164 31st Oct 2019 9:02am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>