↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > 2007+ Cruise control in TD5
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Naf

Kuwait 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Nato Green No Canopy
2007+ Cruise control in TD5
I tried the simple cruise control, CC, hack and it worked ok before i swapped to a 1.2 TC. I looked for a proper kit, but they dont make a kit for the 2002-06. so i scored a 07+ CC kit, i wired it in properly, but its not holding at all. Did i do something wrong or is the pedals too different to work? With the stock system i am able to see if its on or off, but this new system has me chasing my tail.

I just got the update from a friend to fix the CC maps in the 02-06, but i dont have the proper means to repair it. Can't leave well enough alone
Post #794428 22nd Sep 2019 6:57am
Harry.O

United Kingdom 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi ST Nato Green
Hi Naf, I did the cheapo CC install on my TD5 110 and it worked brilliantly but it stopped after fitting a recon gearbox with a modified 5th gear ratio. Effectively the pulse signal goes from the sender on the T-box to the speedo gauge where it is multiplied by 2 and sent down to the ECU. The altered 5th ratio sent a false signal to through the system which tells the ECU to cancel the CC due to the signals being out of standard the parameters.

To counter this I fitted a Healtech Speedohealer (possibly now also sold as Britpart branded). The little box has 3 wires and lives under the seat besides the ECU, since fitting and re-calibrating it all is working perfectly. It took 20 minutes to install. I'd be tempted to go for this option and sell your Puma CC kit as its a proven system and doesn't require any further ECU wizardry.

I don't know of a full kit for a TD5, I used a Disco 2 switch on the steering cowl to control the CC and a simple switch on the dash that turns the whole thing off as below which is similar to a few other members on here Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 2005 Td5 110 Hardtop
1989 300Tdi 90 Soft top
1992 200Tdi 90 Truck cab with Land Cruiser axles
Post #795162 26th Sep 2019 7:58am
Naf

Oh Harry,

I did the speedo healer, didnt fix my problem, but my speed is spot on. As i did both the 1.2 TC and V8 5th gear...

I will have to check my wiring, as the 07+ kits only look at speed and control the throttle voltage to keep it at speed. Can't leave well enough alone
Post #795174 26th Sep 2019 9:29am
Naf

OK so my particular set up is similar to the 2.4 puma

I need help with definitions what does activated 12 V referred to because in the schematics is actually telling me to connect the white line to the black-and-white Clutch wire but I’m constantly getting 12 V from that and nothing from the all black wire when disconnected but when I connected to my pressure switch is allowing the connectivity to continue through when inactive and no signal when I press the clutch

Plz help, do i have the wrong clutch pressure switch Can't leave well enough alone
Post #795204 26th Sep 2019 1:13pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Clutch switch - check it with diagnostics in live switch data of TD5 engine ECU first.
CC on TD5 - why using something so special like Puma CC for TD5. TD5 has all the CC functions "built-in" with one small limitation. There is internall gearing ratio check, so in case of different gearing like another TC of modiffied main gearbox, the speedo healer solve this. The same problem should occur with overdrive installed.
So for TD5 CC is just adding one switch and two push buttons. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #795311 27th Sep 2019 4:57am
Naf

Madtom

My td5 cc would only work in 4th so i got the extra cc kit.

I bet its just a simple wirin issue. So we are gonna swap the lines and see Can't leave well enough alone
Post #795312 27th Sep 2019 5:23am
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
What you describe is problem of nonstandard gearing. Engine ECU in CC state is controlling ratio between RPM and speed for possible wheel spin. And in case of non standard gearing (long 5th, different transfer box, overdrive, ...) it just refuses to work. "Simple" speed signal manipulation with speedo healer is all you need. With second healer you can make your speed indicator and km counter work accurate again. "Drobek" = The Small One - Discovery 2, "Blufínek" = The Blue Thing - Defender 130, and for me at least Ford Mondeo Smile
Post #795432 27th Sep 2019 3:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1