↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Built-in Obsolescence?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Built-in Obsolescence?
In the splurge leading up to the New Defender’s official release, I’m sure I read that their engines would meet RDE (Real Driving Emissions) Step 2.

With the exception of the eighty grand jobby, they’re going on sale homologated as RDE1, which suggests a VED and company car tax hike after 1 January 2021 when RDE2 becomes the norm, and ULEZ charges that much sooner…

Any thoughts?

Peter
Post #794201 20th Sep 2019 5:34pm
Tim in Scotland

I cannot understand, when JLR has both a good PHEV and a very highly regarded BEV system available within the group, why they didn’t have an option of one available on launch day. Big mistake LR. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #794211 20th Sep 2019 6:44pm
BuckBlu110

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 110 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel CSW Buckingham Blue
^ this, particularly in this day and age with all the hoohar about diesels. Kinda baffled by it Confused
Post #794213 20th Sep 2019 6:53pm
Tim in Scotland

In the spring I had a day in an iPace and was taken on a moderately difficult off-road trail in it - the iPace breezed it despite one or two protestations from the 100% road biased tyres - but we never got stuck. Wading, no problem either. We didn’t go anywhere that would seriously challenge any version of “Land Rover” but it was a real eye opener as to what that car can do fresh out of the showroom. Most impressive was how easy it was to drive it off-road with all the torque it has available, and how controllable it was on steep down slopes using the regen braking system instead of engine braking. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #794217 20th Sep 2019 7:06pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
My understanding was that all current Ingenium engines were already RDE2 compliant. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #794231 20th Sep 2019 8:01pm
Tim in Scotland

From the technical section of the e-brochure, only the 3.0ltr Si6 petrol engine is RDE2 compliant by the look of it. Really will not bother those buying new and keeping to the end of the PCP/Warranty but not good news for those looking to buy used ones. My worry is that the 2.0ltr Ingenium is not going to have a long life - it’s a small capacity engine producing a big output which isn’t a recipe for engine longevity.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
Post #794253 20th Sep 2019 8:43pm
Fat Cog

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
MPG-wise, all engine options are no better than my 2.2! Since 1973...S1, Air Portable's, Defender's, but only my Wolf TUL HS GS remains
Post #794296 21st Sep 2019 8:12am
Ramsay

Scotland 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Auto Keswick Green
And the CO2 emissions no better than my 300Tdi. 1995 Defender 110 CSW
1971 SIIA Lightweight
Post #794318 21st Sep 2019 10:58am
dorsetsmith

That`s progress for you so all the thing about emissions being the reason stop making them in 2016 Whistle O but i for get air bags Censored

Obsolescence be for in Built and for how much
Post #794331 21st Sep 2019 1:20pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1