↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > heated seat wiring into existing fuse box - puma
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
deaallen

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Santorini Black
heated seat wiring into existing fuse box - puma
Sorry if this has already been posted, I have searched but the threads I found are either really old and referencing pictures no longer available or don't answer my questions

Basically I want to add an AUX fuse box into my battery compartment, this will mainly be for a heated seat loom, heated windscreen and possibly DRL - all to be ignition switched.

I'm very new to automotive electrics (but willing to learn) so I'm not sure what would be the best way to achieve this or what I need to buy?

From my understanding, I need a (mega fused??) feed from the battery to a voltage sensing relay, this should take a feed from an existing ignition live? which will then feed into the positive bus on the fuse box. Then need to run a negative from the - bus to the battery's negative. Then I should have a ignition fed fuse box no?

- I'm also very confused buy what kind of gauge wire I need from the battery and the amp of mega fuse and relay I need. I've read that there are online calculators but I don't know what kind of amperage the heated seats etc will draw...

The fuse box I have ordered is a 6way 100amp rated one with a bus for both positive and negatives.

Thanks

Last edited by deaallen on 7th Oct 2019 9:36am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #794156 20th Sep 2019 10:23am
deaallen

Just had a thought, considering I'm mainly adding things which come standard with the XS spec, could I just use the existing fuse box thats in there and just source the missing wiring?
Post #794160 20th Sep 2019 11:28am
deaallen

So I've spent all morning looking into this, the main thing I'm trying to accomplish is to get my heated seats working before the cold weather sets in, to that end I've found the following:

Click image to enlarge

Going off that diagram and also some advice written by PaulMC here

PaulMc wrote:
The relay provides an ignition controlled live for both the electric windows and heated seats.

The Brown/Grey trace wire from the relay to the fuse box (Pin-11 on C0583) should already be there, as it also supplies the electric windows.

You should take your heated seat switches feed from Pin-12 of C0583 at the fuse box.

There should be a space in position 12 of C0583 for a terminal for the heated seats feed, which is then split to left and right switches.

Can you post up some close-up pictures of C0583 and, preferrably, the terminals.

If they are the same as a TD5 fuse block, I know where to source a compatible terminal.

I don't know which one of the leads connects to the switches and which one to the seat back, another Puma owner will have to check that one for you.

.... I should be able to use the existing fuse block, relay and whatnot which is already there, and just put in the missing two switches and the associated wiring?

But I can't believe it is this simple, everyone else seems to be buying whole looms with relays etc which cost over £100 somehow.
Post #794175 20th Sep 2019 2:03pm
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
If you already have electric windows and thus have the 'window lift relay' you should be able to add them as you describe. If you dont have electric windows the relay and wiring will not be there and you will have to add an ignition relay from scratch (not too hard).

Steve 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
84' 90 3.9 V8 Caged Pickup Build Thread - Now For Sale

Mobile Diesel Heater Build Thread
Post #794180 20th Sep 2019 2:32pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
The relay labelled "window lift relay" is on all Pumas (it powers the front wipers as well), but the output is split more ways on those with electric windows and/or heated seats.

The split is at "SJ15" on the diagram above (on the NS wire just below the relay symbol). This splice joint doesn't exist on non electric window Pumas.

So you may not have the feed into Fuse position 33 in the bulkhead fuse box.

Only way to find out is pull out Fuse 33 if fitted and probe with a multi-meter in Volts mode with the ignition on Smile  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #794185 20th Sep 2019 3:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
deaallen

Quote:
So you may not have the feed into Fuse position 33 in the bulkhead fuse box.

Only way to find out is pull out Fuse 33 if fitted and probe with a multi-meter in Volts mode with the ignition on Smile

I just tested it and thankfully mine does seem to have a feed on fuse 33 Bow down

I'm going to go ahead and order the wiring, switches and connector blocks and see how far I can get. I'm just glad I don't have to add the AUX fuse box just yet, keeps the risk of me setting a light to the vehicle a little lower for the time being Rolling Eyes Laughing
Post #794189 20th Sep 2019 4:19pm
Martin
Site Admin

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
I've got the connectors on the site shop:

https://www.defender2.net/shop/5-way-defen...3-p71.html  1988 90 Td5 NAS soft top
2015 D90 XS SW
Post #794199 20th Sep 2019 5:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
deaallen

I'm ashamed to say it, but I've never looked in the shop Embarassed

thanks for letting me know about the connectors though, if I'm able to find all the other bits I'll go ahead and make up my own loom, but I'm also betting it might be easier to just bite the bullet and buy one off mobile centre with them all connected up
Post #794228 20th Sep 2019 7:48pm
deaallen

I ended up getting these for the missing fuse terminals :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-Spare-Repla...2749.l2649

Click image to enlarge

...They're not exactly the same as what LR uses but they fitted into the fuse box correctly and locked into place so good enough Thumbs Up - I had to push out a white slotted section of the fuse box in order to fit them into it, this locks all the terminals into place.

I then run the power to the switches, then down under the chassis and back up into each individual seat box for the heated seats.

All wired up now but after all that work I was quite disappointed with the heat coming from the seats, could hardly notice them tbh, or I've wired them up wrong Laughing
Post #795379 27th Sep 2019 11:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1