↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > A happy end and thanks for everyone's advice :)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
The Milkman

England 
A happy end and thanks for everyone's advice :)
Will keep this as short as possible....
Due to problems as listed on another post - I sold my Defender to xxxxx Landrover, in doing so I suffered a loss but hey-ho...
The garage agreed to give me £49880.00, £42,000.00 approx to Landrover Finance and remaining balance to me circa £7880.00 (my equity). This all happened on September the 10th when they collected the defender - (I did sign something, alas I don't know what - nor have a copy) I then used DVLA's website to inform the sale to a trader and subsequently have my road fund licence refund cheque and the letter stating that I am no longer the registered keeper. I also sent by mail confirmation of the change and part of the V5 and destroyed the rest as instructed by the DVLA. Fast forward 2 weeks and the garage have not settled the finance nor paid me my equity and have stated that they need the full V5 to do so and I will have to get a copy. I have pointed out that as I am not the registered keeper the DVLA are unlikely to talk to me.... The garage have the vehicle and this morning I asked as it's still listed for £55900.00 if I could have it back, after numerous texts from me - they have told me that the defender is sold subject to finance, I said fair enough now please settle the funds, they still insist that they need a full V5. I then got annoyed and texted settle or return the defender. I contacted the finance company who at this stage will not get involved as the account is up to date, they did point out the obvious that the garage couldn't sell the vehicle as it would be flagged to them (I am wondering if they actually do have an interested buyer - or like the potential profit for no outlay!)... The finance company as the legal owners have said that the lack of any V5 was not a reason to withhold settlement and if the garage does not return my vehicle that I could involve the police..... all sounds terribly messy..... help........ (and yes I am my own worst enemy....)

Last edited by The Milkman on 24th Sep 2020 7:49pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #857691 23rd Sep 2020 7:18pm
Tim in Scotland

Trading Standards and Citizens Advice should be able to help you with advice. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #857695 23rd Sep 2020 7:21pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Not really sure why you would let them remove YOUR vehicle without a settlement??

Finance company have more power than you so leverage from that side

I would make a trip down to the site and confront the dealer principle / owner
Post #857697 23rd Sep 2020 7:23pm
The Milkman

England 
Trading standards - good idea Tim
Finance company won't get involved whilst payments are up to date and I am too trusting lol - 90 dreamer....

And yes I would like it back - even though I would have burned my bridges with them - there are other dealers.....
Post #857700 23rd Sep 2020 7:26pm
90 Dreamer

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
I'd be paying them a visit.......
Post #857705 23rd Sep 2020 7:32pm
mk1collector

England 2004 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Bonatti Grey
If they haven’t paid for it ask the police to accompany you to collect it as they have no rights over it Ray
My build thread
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic17615.html
Post #857706 23rd Sep 2020 7:33pm
The Milkman

England 
It might come to that tomorrow - can't drive it away though,even if i could convince them to give me it back as no V5 to tax it with...... god I have made a right mess of everything, and at 55 I should know better....
Post #857707 23rd Sep 2020 7:35pm
Tim in Scotland

No,you haven’t made a right mess, it’s all part of the great learning curve. Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #857713 23rd Sep 2020 7:50pm
Chawks

United Kingdom 
I'd be buying a wheel clamp and paying them a visit. Release the clamp once they have paid up.
Post #857718 23rd Sep 2020 7:57pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
sounds messy but I think from what you said you have them cornered there is no way they can sell it on until the finance is clear and your not clearing it so they need to clear it otherwise they are stuck with a car they do not technically own or have a right to sell? they either give you the keys and you sell it on (what would WBAC give you?) or do what they agreed and pony up the cash?

the V5 is not an issue I would have thought its all online nowadays? 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #857725 23rd Sep 2020 8:08pm
milesr3

2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
I think you’re supposed to give the v5, including the green new keeper slip to the dealer and destroy just the yellow sold to trader slip if you inform the DLVA online.

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by milesr3 on 23rd Sep 2020 8:12pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #857727 23rd Sep 2020 8:09pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
Check whether your car insurance policy includes legal cover. Many do, and they will also be able to advise you on the best course of action.
Post #857728 23rd Sep 2020 8:12pm
The Milkman

England 
Milesr3, I am now doubting whether I did that correctly or not.....but there is little I can do about it now as I am not the registered owner....seem to have had one of those months
Post #857736 23rd Sep 2020 8:21pm
Pacha

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
V5 is only indicates the 'Registered Keeper' not the legal owner (obviously?).

Finance Company own the major portion of this vehicle - it would be useful to know what was signed, which could be important. Rgds.

Chris
Post #857739 23rd Sep 2020 8:27pm
The Milkman

England 
I know I am so annoyed at not reading it first (foolish me!) - I just presumed it was one of those forms to say - not used as a taxi etc, etc. Quite surprised the finance company didn't take furthur interest but as the advisor said - they only get involved if the account is not up to date - have to decide whether to be patient and let it run it's course (which you never know- could be tomorrow ?) or demand the defender back.....
Post #857740 23rd Sep 2020 8:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>