↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Tdi > sender unit fuel feed pipe bodge
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
yostumpy

sender unit fuel feed pipe bodge
Not so much a bodge, but a bit of 'bush mechanics.

Last week I noticed a few spots of deisel under the back of the 110, when stopped. By the end of the week it was a steady drip. So got home Saturday, and had a look. It appeared to be weeping from the compression joint , next to the sender unit. Now for those that don't know, the sender unit fixes into the side of the tank, and out of the sender unit stick a fuel feed pipe. This pipe is a spiggot of plastic, about 35-40 mm long, onto which a nut and olive are slid, and then this fits to the stiff flexi fuel pipe that runs up to the engine bay, by way of a compression joint.
Anyway, I tried to tighten the compression joint a tad, but almost as I got the second spanner on, the pipe sheared off, and fuel was then dribbling out of the tank. Ooops! The plastic spigot had broken flush with the back of the nut.
So I went into the garage, and cut a short length of rubber gas hose, cleaned off the remaining spigot that stuck out of the sender unit, that was about 10-12mm long, pushed the rubber pipe on, attached a jubillee clip and plugged the end with a bolt. Now what?, I had stopped the leak but with 3/4 of a tank,I couldn't remove the sender, plus didn't have a spare one any way.
So I undid the compression joint, and took off the female connector with the broken pipe inside. I then tapped the pipe out of the nut, and this was approx 20mm long with the olive half way along it. I looked every where, but had nothing remotely similar, so I did what all good bush mechanics do......made a brew.
Ah! maybe if..........I put the nut on the bench, threaded side downwards, sat the pipe in the top, so the olive rested on the nut, and then tapped the plastic pipe downwards, until the olive was flush with the end of the pipe, turned nut over, pushed the pipe back in. So now I had a female compression nut, with a pipe and olive inside, and about 10-12mm of pipe poking out the back, enough to connect the other end of the rubber pipe, with another jubilee clip. Et Voila !

So. If you have to change your sender unit, maybe cut the old spiggot off, flush withe the sender, and keep this in the compression joint, and use a flexi pipe between the two.. Any way the above might get someone out of a jam someday.

Click image to enlarge
IMG_0896 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Sorry for the poor quality photo. Yes I could have made the pipe shorter, but getting a screwdriver on the clip nearest the tank was very awkward, and yes I could have kept the pipe within the chassis strut, but it was a suck it and see, emergency repair. It doesn't leak any more, clips are tight, pipe is secured with zip tie, If it doesn't leak within a week, it'll prob stay like that until the sender unit dies, (MOT permitting, but I can't see it being an issue.) Drying up nicely under there now, it is. (about 80 miles)..NB Photo taken at time of repair 'Volvo XC 70, taking the rough with the smooth’
Post #789945 1st Sep 2019 8:49pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1