↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Disclock modification
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Windowlicker

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
Disclock modification
Having read various threads over the recent months , and also a video posted from one of the LR shows , highlighting the weakness of various currently available devices, it got me worried that the Disclock isn't " that " secure Neutral
Apart from the hinge weakness , one suggestion was simply levering a loose fitting Disclock over the rim of the steering wheel.
Something that could be done very quietly , whereas the hinge attack really requires a cordless grinder , so pretty noisy but still do-able pretty quickly.
My modification would hopefully eliminate the levering option, and the grinding option would take longer , slow them down , or require a more sustained attack hopefully drawing attention to what they were doing sooner.

I bought a short in length Cycle D lock , short so it doesn't foul the wiper stalk and also to reduce options for putting a bar in to aid leverage.
I went for a "sold secure " Gold rated one ( sold secure is the cycle industry version of Thatcham certification ) so stupidly hardened steel , which you will only defeat with powered cutting tool or a Gas Axe.
The locks are also supremely tough too.

Having worked out where the spokes of the steering wheel are when underneath the Disclock, I drilled 2 suitable sized holes , 1 in each half of the clamshell so to speak, and then you simply insert the D lock through the holes and around the spoke.
Now the disclocks halves are tied together, so even separating the hinges won't remove the thing.
All in all its just another layer to slow them down, and making them make more noise, takes seconds to remove or fit the lock , and it just lives inside the Disclock body when storing.

No doubt someone will point out a reason for it being pointless and a waste of time Laughing but it makes me feel a bit better at night.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Last edited by Windowlicker on 19th Dec 2014 12:34am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #380016 18th Dec 2014 5:48pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
Great idea .. I had 2 steel bars welded to the back so that IT can't be removed Thumbs Up
Post #380018 18th Dec 2014 5:52pm
Windowlicker

Hi Bpman ,
I was going to do something similar but getting it sorted was an issue so this was the easier option.
I suppose the only negative now is that the Disclock could be used to snap the steering lock as it doesn't free spin anymore.
Though that option is there by shoving any bar or tyre iron up from behind anyway.

Last edited by Windowlicker on 18th Dec 2014 6:03pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #380019 18th Dec 2014 5:57pm
bpman

I needed two attempts at welding the bars on, too close and you can't fit it

If I have time I'll pop some photos up ... Or might that help the scrotes??
Post #380022 18th Dec 2014 6:00pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Great idea, I like it!
Post #380024 18th Dec 2014 6:04pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
It’s a good idea and in theory will slow a thief down, and any extra level of security is a plus. However it will only slow a thief down by a matter of seconds as a portable angle grinder will make short work of a ‘D’ lock, but hopefully that extra lock might deter a casual thief.

Personally, I have lost all faith in a Disklock as a resilient security measure having seen how easy they are to remove, whether modifications are done or not. One may argue that using an angle grinder and the noise it generates would attract attention, nevertheless it is my opinion that few people would bother asking what the person with the grinder was doing, perhaps a good neighbour may, but not the man in the street, and if the Land Rover is parked in a quite area where no one was about, well!

I feel that the best form of security for a steering wheel is to remove it by using one of the many quick release snap off system on the market, especially the type I have just installed that has over a million possible combinations so that a thief cannot just pop on another steering wheel. I have also secured the boss with tamper proof bolts with a unique tamper resistant drive. The bolts can only be removed and inserted with a special bit. (Which is registered) So even removing the boss to fit on a standard sterring wheel is very hard plus the thief would have to know how many number of splines the column has.

Ok carrying a steering wheel around is not ideal, but I find it fits in a shoulder bag and taking the wheel off and on takes about two seconds and is a lot less fiddly than taking off and putting on a disklock.
Post #380032 18th Dec 2014 6:21pm
Windowlicker

The main concern for me is waking up one morning, peeking out of the front door glass having come down stairs , only to see an empty space on the drive Big Cry
In itself, the concept of hoping your vehicle is where you left it the night before is ludicrous but knowing the basic nature of its security , also the fact I had a very nice, and loud vehicle taken a good few years ago, and me , a light sleeper , heard nothing, I just want to make them HAVE to make a noise.
It would take them a reasonable time to cut through with a grinder, it took them 3 minutes on the video I mentioned before, though granted, after doing a few I'm sure they would be quicker, but the disclock material is cheese soft, whereas the D lock is supremely hard treated steel.
If its being lifted onto a low loader, steering wheel or not wont be an issue particularly, though if they have already done a bit of a recce and noted your lack of steering wheel, it wouldn't actually be that difficult to make a sort of universal, drop on steering wheel, big diameter centre bore to go over your boss or others, with 3 or 4 adjustable threaded studs, to wind in , locate and centralise their fit any boss steering wheel.
I have a few other slightly off the wall, not your norm additions in place, all of which are loud noise makers.

I have never felt this insecure about any car I have owned , some of which were far more desirable than the defender, but more recognisable and secure at the same time, so harder for them to move them on.

The thing that really sickens me and boils my Censored is not just the money I have in the Defender , but the number of hours and effort spent making it mine, modifying etc, all of which would mean nothing if it were taken.

I can only hope that I continue to see her sat on the drive when I peek out of the window every morning .
Post #380159 18th Dec 2014 11:55pm
yostumpy

found these 2 images , I think this is what you mean, BPman, but with 2 bars intsead.
Post #380243 19th Dec 2014 12:31pm
bpman

pretty much yes, a bar top and bottom that stops the steering wheel from being bent - won't stop someone with a portable grinder but they make a lot of noise
Post #380244 19th Dec 2014 12:37pm
yobbie

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 90 Td5 Heritage LE Bronze Green
bpman wrote:
I needed two attempts at welding the bars on, too close and you can't fit it

If I have time I'll pop some photos up ... Or might that help the scrotes??

Can I come and watch you weld next time Rolling with laughter
Post #382168 26th Dec 2014 11:01pm
Leeroy

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Very simple but great idea well done.

What size Disklok did you use. I had a medium on my defender when it was stolen.
Post #789032 28th Aug 2019 7:34am
Windowlicker

Mine also was a medium Thumbs Up "Procrastination is the thief of time"
Post #789042 28th Aug 2019 8:12am
foxhound

United Kingdom 1995 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Alpine White
bpman wrote:
Great idea .. I had 2 steel bars welded to the back so that IT can't be removed Thumbs Up

i did the same, welding plates to the rear so it can't be peeled off. - -but it was my 'ardcase that has saved me from 2 attempted thefts. 110 Defender 300tdi & Penman trailer with ally exped top and roof tent
Post #790328 3rd Sep 2019 7:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1