↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > The latest video from JLR, how times they are changing!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Print this entire topic · 
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
The latest video from JLR, how times they are changing!
I have just watched the latest video from JLR re the new Defender. Wow! With all those drifts around bends, and at full throttle through dramatic sand etc. and .... then with all those Hollywood effects who would not be captivated with JLR's new Defender, albeit for those who can afford one.

Yes, I am impressed with what I know will be due to its technological advancements (new at launch but soon to be outdated) features some of which according to JLR is new and groundbreaking (! do you remember 'Betamax')

However,... I first acquired a Land Rover to do a Job that no other vehicle could do, that was forty years ago and it did such a good job that I have never left the mark, and with a few reservations even its modern versions have never let me down.

What worries me with these JLR promotional videoes particularly showing speeding and the drifting capabilities of the new Defender is it being marketed at a new generation of drivers those brought up on what an engine can achieve in power and speed and not what a traditional Land Rover can do, is it that JLR are thinking of a new market for such an iconic vehicle which is nothing like the market that the seventy-year-old Land Rovers heritage was about and sadly it looks like will never be again.

Or maybe not the launch will tell us when the real thing is unveiled, but with all the slow drip of info and now the sudden gush of news In am worried that what was the best of British will be a Millenial car Shocked For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #787119 16th Aug 2019 12:39am
Tim in Scotland

Well with it being built in an Eastern European factory built with vast European subsidies paid to relocate away from the UK , by workers on very cheap Eastern European wages the new Defender will never be the best of British anything. Might be the best Czech or Slovak product built but JLR still have some catching up to do against Skoda quality......... and pricing Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #787120 16th Aug 2019 12:51am
defender9

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
I hope that the new Defender has the same excellent build quality and reliability as my Skoda Yeti. Even if the build quality is excellent if the basic design of component parts is less than excellent (designed in the U.K.) then we may see the same sorts of failures such as we have seen in the Defenders and other JLR models such as crankshaft failures on vehicles just a few years old. I hope that the new Defender has utility versions in the line up as well as something with a high spec, I also hope they get the pricing right. If all goes well and the new one is seen as a winner, then I might just trade in the Skoda Yeti Shocked
Post #787148 16th Aug 2019 10:27am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I hope there isn’t a new Defender.
Post #787158 16th Aug 2019 12:37pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Well you are in luck because there won’t be a new Defender.

It will be a Disco in drag.
Post #787162 16th Aug 2019 12:54pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Yes, exactly my point. Why call it a Defender when it’s not, and nothing like. It will just be another Range Rover like the entire range is. There are no practical work vehicles.
Post #787163 16th Aug 2019 1:05pm
boxoftricks

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
It’s a new defender..... just wait until it’s unveiled. The word is that it’s bloody impressive.
Post #787170 16th Aug 2019 3:10pm
Tommo

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 90 Td5 Black LE Java Black
Tend to agree with comment about the seemingly lack of correct speed etc when going off road. Maybe its a sales ploy as if you constantly drive that way off road in a short period of time you will need to buy another because its knackered Shocked
Post #787176 16th Aug 2019 3:43pm
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
The modern Discovery's/Range Rovers are impressive (only because of the electronics more or less driving it for you) but they miss the point and do not have basic underpinnings/modular body that are simple, and that, to me, makes a true Land Rover. But at least they were not trying to be one and were/are aimed at different markets.

I fear the new "Defender" will follow the same route with too much tech/bloat/bling and will play too much on the dreaded "icon" thing.

Let's wait and see though....
Post #787180 16th Aug 2019 4:01pm
JOW240725

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
I'm liking it the more I see. Yes it is going to be very different to current Defenders but the world moves on. If we dislike change so much why aren't we all driving Series ones? Over the years I've each new engine that comes out gets slatted then within a few years it's the best! I'm sure (well hope) the new Defender will be the same! Very Happy James
MY2012 110 2.2TDCi XS SW Orkney Grey - http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic43410.html
MY1990 110 200TDi SW beautifully faded Portofino Red - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post743641.html#743641
MY1984 90 V8 Slate Grey - https://www.defender2.net/forum/post744557.html#744557
Instagram @suffolk_rovers
Post #787193 16th Aug 2019 4:55pm
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
I'm positive about the concept, I'm just concerned about Land Rovers ability to execute it into a robust long lasting vehicle (have you seen some of the rust being found on D3s?). The only thing I hate is that it is going to be way too expensive for likes of me to buy. 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #787195 16th Aug 2019 4:58pm
AndrewS

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 SW Rimini Red
Well I'm looking forward to it, as well as the Defenders we run. (I'm down to 130 and 110 utilities Big Cry) I have had every model of the Discovery and put lots of miles on them. The last one I had was a D5 HSE I got rid November last year. I was a great car but not a tonka toy work horse, I moved to a RRS SVR another great car and IMO more of a work horse than the D5 in that the interior was a lot tougher, however I ended up taking the 2nd row seats out so I could carry the kit I need to work with. Got rid of the SVR as its silly to be driving around in a £109k car with two seats. Now im using the 130 utility whilst waiting for the new Defender. I have looked at all other options and there is nothing out there that will compare against the D4 or Defender.
The new Defender will suit 99% of my needs to replace the D4.
The video is clearly a marketing tool to get everyone's juices flowing, lets face it, if it was doing 3mph over some rocks no one would be that bothered. I was chuffed to see the weights on the roof and the big bars fitted to the car to stop it rolling, they clearly understand that we are gona load the roof racks and have tested accordingly. If they have adopted the same approach with the rest of the car then a big Thumbs Up to JLR. 130's have feeling's as well you know Smile
Post #787225 16th Aug 2019 6:49pm
chasthechippie

England 
The thing is times have changed I'm afraid!! Brought up on a farm a Land Rover was a useful tool but again only for well off farmers the rest of us used wee grey Fergies. There isn't anyone using wee grey Fergies anymore!! A decent tractor mid range will set you back 50K Top of the pile are now 100k+ and so it goes. A standard pick up truck like a Ranger or anything else will do any job you ask of it without needing to have your arm out the window. A Defender nowadays is for us stick in the muds who like nostalgia but that is irrelevant to todays world and believe you me Land Rover marketing are not looking to us to sell their new vehicle. A whole new world of Defenders fans will be born in the next few years. I love old world pubs with log fires and dogs but even if they were within walking distance how often would I frequent? The times they are a changing!!!
Post #787281 16th Aug 2019 10:54pm
bankz5152

2004 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Epsom Green
I like it. Very excited.

If they arnt toooo spendy will try and get the mrs to get one Laughing Instagram @defender_ventures
Empire Tuning - Agent
Post #787295 17th Aug 2019 6:39am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Gilarion, you naysayer. I have absolutely no idea what you’re on about. This vehicle that JLR are about to launch will absolutely be the logical successor to the Puma, and all the variants before it that you’ve enjoyed over forty years.

It will be affordable, simple to run, robust, easily modified/adapted/repaired; it will have a unique character, it will be identifiably different from every other car, it will be simple enough to wash-out with a hose, it will load anything, tow anything, save anything. And because of this affordability and adaptability it will be craved I tell you, craved, by farmers, police, mountain rescue, boat-towers, chalet owners, overlanders, electrical companies, sewage companies, armed forces etc, the world over. You will see cherry picker variants, gardening variants, expedition variants. You’ll see versions that have been used only for school runs, others that have been battered on a farm. You’ll see versions covered in weaponry and camo, or turned into a pizza oven or gin bar. You’ll see one driven by a chap in wellies and flat cap, or the Queen (also in wellies and flat cap). You’ll see one that’s been ‘Kahned” and one that’s been ‘ambulanced ‘. You’ll have numerous on-line shops selling parts that should have been put on the car in the first place, just to make it function normally, but also parts to improve it or bling it. You’ll see them putting out fires at airports, delivering vaccines in the Third World, discovering places that even the current Defender has never been. You’ll see people point at it when it passes, talk to strangers in a pub car park about it, meet at festivals dedicated to it, discuss at length on forums expressing love for it. There will be journalists waxing lyrical about how iconic it is, how it is arguably the most important car in British motoring history. It too will become the most widely seen car ever, and in 50 years time there will be an anniversary edition.

THIS IS ALL TRUE Whistle Whistle Whistle

So honestly, I don’t know what you’re moaning about.... Big Cry Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #787299 17th Aug 2019 7:35am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>