Home > Puma (Tdci) > Flasher Relay and LED rear indicator
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
newman4x4

France 
Flasher Relay and LED rear indicator
Hi everyone.

Does anyone know if on special edition TD4s with rear LED lights there is an addon bit that goes on the flasher relay part number YWT500050?
the relay itself has got like a plug on top of it. I was wondering if there was a sort of resistance that plugs in there to load up the relay to get correct flashing frequency with LEDs.

Sorry for my English, I'm french.

Alex.
Post #72232 23rd May 2011 10:07am
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
I don't think so. I had a feeling that special editions (SVX etc) actually had conventional filament lamp indicators and it was the stop/tail lamps which were LED's.

If you are thinking of fitting LED indicators, The Mobilecentre do an LED flasher relay which will work at the correct speed even if you have a mixture of filament lamps / LED's. I'm not sure if it supports the correct operation of the towing indicator repeater on the dash though.

Regards

Pete
Post #72236 23rd May 2011 10:22am
christyler

Load resistor
Hi Alex,

easyest way is just to put a 6 ohm 50watt resistor accross the two indicator circuits, then there is no need to mess with the relay.
Post #72237 23rd May 2011 10:26am
jlerra

Gibraltar 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Relay for LED bulb replacement
Hi,
Just for info, I have attempted to replace the ordinary bulbs with LEDs on my LHD 90 (TDCi - Puma) using the Mobilecentre relay in order not to cut wires to place resistors in-situ.
After replacing the bulbs with LED's:-

I can report that the first relay (4 pin) sent to me just did'nt stop the rapid flashing. I assumed there was something wrong with the relay so was sent back to Mobilecentre (to the nice chap called Tim). They tested the relay and said it was OK. So was sent a different one to try.

However, they sent me a 'more robust' LED relay to try it. I replaced the 'more robust' relay (3 pin) and all seemed well when I turned the indicators on and the hazard warning on. But, a big but, when I closed the doors and turn the alarm on to secure the vehicle - the alarm kept going off unless I cancelled the alarm using the remote.

I tried several times to secure the vehicle using the remote, but the alarm kept going off.

I replaced the incadescent (standard) bulbs and replaced the relay with the standard relay and all's well.

I have referred back to Tim at Mobilecentre (who has been extremely patient and good about the issue) and they are baffled with the alarm going off when the vehicle is secured with the remote.

No solution offered at present. Presumably until Mobilecentre investigates further.

El pepe flamenco. JLS
'El Pepe Flamenco'
Post #72256 23rd May 2011 12:33pm
XS Pete

England 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
That sounds interesting. I suspect that the electronic bits in the solid state flasher relay may be continuously powered, and the alarm is detecting this small power drain and assuming it's some kind of attack.

Pete
Post #72266 23rd May 2011 2:16pm
newman4x4

France 
Thanks for the answers.

I didn't want to put resistance on the wires as I wanted to get power down on the circuit.
When I saw the TD4 flasher relay and the possibility to plug someting on top of it I assume it was some kind of module for the LED flashers.

I'll try Mobilcenter for the flasher unit.

Alex
Post #72281 23rd May 2011 4:33pm
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
christyler has the right idea. if you get a 3 pin relay it will not work with your trailer/caravan socket.
the circuit was designed for filament bulbs (even the SVX's and LEs have bulbs not LEDS). quickest, easiest is to use a resistor or stick with filaments.
Post #72419 24th May 2011 7:41am
ken

United Kingdom 
Can confirm I have full LED set up from "Tim" with no issues re alarm etc I used his "Relay" the only very minor gripe is the repeat is a tad slower than the norm fully legal but a tad slower Thumbs Up

Oh I tow trailers with LED & non LED bulbs with Tims original set up all is fine, I do hear that there is a new version around soon to assist with my slow flash Thumbs Up
Post #72422 24th May 2011 7:51am
Merlin

United Kingdom 
bpman, is that a 6 ohm 50watt resistor on each bulb, each corner that is? Peter
Post #787711 19th Aug 2019 6:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1