↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > computer files - recommended backup software
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
donmacn

computer files - recommended backup software
Hi guys,
I'm sure we all work in a myriad of jobs on here, but I have an idea there are a few IT-types. That said, I don't think my question is especially techy.

I have a Windows desktop PC, where all the important files live - mostly domestic stuff, and particularly photos. Losing these would be a disaster, so I've always been aware of the need to backup files. However I'm well out of date with this.

I have two new external USB drives I want to use in rotation. One, a Western Digital came with software but once I'd ticked the boxes for the files I wanted to backup nothing happened..... nothing to tell me why (my favourite bugbear about computers!) so scratch that.

So I want to go for a third-party software to do this job, which will just transfer files (to two separate devices) without adding any proprietary file suffixes or the like. (My drives are by two manufacturers - seagate and western digital, so I want software that won't be manufacturer specific.

I've looked at some online reviews, there seems to be decent free stuff available, or others to be paid for. I'm not really bothered either way - with the main things I want being reliability, ease of use, and transferability - in the sense that files will be unchanged.

The forum's always been a source of good advice, so I thought I'd ask this on here and see what comes up.

Many thanks. Donald

1994 Defender 300Tdi 110 SW - owned since 2002 - 230k miles and going strong
(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )
2000 Range Rover P38 4.0L V8

in the past..
RR classic - fitted with 200Tdi
1984 RR classic - V8 with ZF auto box
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

not to mention the minis and the Type 2 VW camper...
Post #893077 21st Mar 2021 7:06pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
If you have USB portable drives then these should show up in My Computer you should be able to drag and drop or copy and paste any type of file to these drives. For those who like Welsh Mountains and narrow boats have a look at my videos and photos at..

http://www.youtube.com/user/conwy1
Post #893185 22nd Mar 2021 2:49pm
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Microsoft OneDrive seems to work well for my partner, all files sync in the background. She's self employed and can't afford to lose anything should the computer crash or get nicked etc. JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #893192 22nd Mar 2021 3:17pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
OneDrive is great, especially if you have multiple computers as the files stayed synchronised across all the PCs
(and your phone). There's also the option of rolling back everything to a certain date - great if you get a virus.

I've also had success with Allway sync https://allwaysync.com/. It's an easier way to keep folders in synch between PC to PC or PC to USB drive as it only copies the changed files.
I was so impressed that I even bought a copy to benefit from the paid extras.
Post #893198 22nd Mar 2021 3:43pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
I've been using the free version of Macrium Reflect for a few years to back up the whole of my desktop drive to an external USB drive. I have it scheduled to run the back up every 2 weeks in the early hours of Monday morning.

It takes a full image of the drive and is set to differential mode. After an initial full image is backed up, all successive backups just capture what has changed since the full image, so the subsequent files are smaller. I think it keeps the previous 4 differential back-ups.

For belt and braces I also use Google Drive/Google Photos to back up my photos and documents to the cloud. 200Gb Google storage costs me £1.99 a month.

My thinking on having both is that if my local USB back up drive went up in smoke, or was stolen with the PC, then would still be able to get my documents and photos back from Google.

I also copied all my archived photos to a NAS drive on my network that is located in another part of the house, just as another back up. Not that I am paranoid or anything!!!!
Post #893200 22nd Mar 2021 3:59pm
SN

^^^^ no you're not paranoid.

I work in the Enterprise IT game - public sector. Whilst you're not ever going to need the BC/DR solutions that Government run with, your approach is right because at least you've thought about all the possible ways you could lose your stuff and thought of a way around each of them.

Which ever way you do it, make sure you have AT LEAST two copies of whatever is important to you.

And have those copies across a minimum of two different locations (plane-crash / fire / idiot-suppler scenarios...) Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #893204 22nd Mar 2021 4:13pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I back up my personal stuff to (at least) two external USB drives, bought at different times from different batches, and keep them in different physical locations (e.g., one at work, one at home) so that it would take either a very significant disaster indeed or some implausibly unlikely coincidences to wipe them all out.

If you are happy putting all your personal data onto someone else's servers then the cloud is a good option. I, however, am not, and therefore do not. I will use the cloud, but do not consider it a reliable backup.
Post #893210 22nd Mar 2021 4:46pm
wynn153

United Kingdom 
Exactly what the others say...
OneDrive is brilliant
Post #893250 22nd Mar 2021 7:24pm
donmacn

Thanks very much guys.

A couple of recommendations there to look at. The 'allwaysync' one seems more attractive to me at first reading as it would backup files rather than create a 'mirror image' - my concern with that would be that I don't have the IT confidence to know what to do with it in the event of having a failure. At least if I have the files backed up, in their normal formats, I could buy a new PC and just transfer them.

In my googlings yesterday I started looking into NAS RAID devices, but a) it might stretch my skills and b) at the likely cost it's probably a sledge hammer to crack a nut - and you'd still want some sort of 'offsite' backup.

We use Onedrive at work too, so I'm pretty familiar with it, but I don't have a personal account. I'm also with Blackwolf here in that I would psychologically prefer to have something 'physical' to put to one side. I think it's an age thing (sorry BW!).

E.G. My kids don't buy their own music - they're happy to stream stuff and keep a local playlist or the like. As they've grown up with the web and reliable streaming they don't see the need to do any different. Me, as someone who started their working life with a typewriter and carbon paper, can remember a time when the internet wasn't ubiquitous and "you never know" ... so a set of separate drives is attractive. It's just a case of finding a user-friendly program to keep the contents easily up to date. Donald

(The 'rolling restoration' or tinkering thread: http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic58538.html )

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #893252 22nd Mar 2021 7:27pm
Eduardo

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
One vote for Onedrive.
I use to be several external hard disk for backup, but if you have a good Internet, Onedrive is better.

Most IT gurus said that if you like to be 100% data protected, your backup should be located in a different location than your computer hard disk to avoid lost both (fire, burglars, etc).

So, Onedrive are a good solution. Also you can share a large amount of info with other persons (i.e. I have a common shared file with my family members to put all the pictures and videos)

The only drawback is if you dont have a good internet conecction the system are quite slow to retrieve/upload files (happens to me in the farm)

Cheers Eduardo

MY 2007 110 SW PUMA 2.4: Big Fog of 64'
MY 1994 Jayco 1207 Folding camper: "El Tremendo"

Click image to enlarge
Post #893256 22nd Mar 2021 7:38pm
RoadForce

Netherlands 2000 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Coniston Green
Does OneDrive support versioning of files? Because if files get infected on the local drive, then I suppose those changes will sync to OneDrive too, rendering your backup useless. Not sure to what extent this actually is a problem in reality (randsomware?), but something to consider I guess... Defender 130 HCPU Td5 MY2000
Post #893367 23rd Mar 2021 10:42am
SN

^^^ Thats a different thing - you're into a daily backups, grandfathering, fathering etc - if you want restore points (other than the last saved copy) that needs some thinking about Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)
Post #893372 23rd Mar 2021 11:02am
Lodelaner

United Kingdom 1988 Defender 90 V8 Petrol ST Shire Blue
Yes you can roll back on OneDrive. At work we create proposals with multiple users so I roll back when the idiots have been making changes! JB

@Lodelaner Instagram

Youtube greenlaning and other LR related content
Post #893373 23rd Mar 2021 11:05am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
RoadForce wrote:
Does OneDrive support versioning of files? Because if files get infected on the local drive, then I suppose those changes will sync to OneDrive too, rendering your backup useless. Not sure to what extent this actually is a problem in reality (randsomware?), but something to consider I guess...

Versioning is at the file level. There are limits - I think it's about 200 versions.

You can also roll back all your files to a certain date - that's the bit that's good if you get a virus infection.

Deleted files are kept for (I think) 60 days.

If you're using Windows 10, the integration is seamless. The really poor bit is search, but that's been a problem in Windows since day 1.
Post #893379 23rd Mar 2021 11:38am
donmacn

Ooooooh.... Definitely all a bit beyond me, and my fairly simple requirements.

If I have a reasonably up to date external backup, kept out of the house, and a reasonably easy software solution to keep these backups fresh then I'll be happy. Donald

in the past..
1993 Discovery 300Tdi

Post #893506 23rd Mar 2021 7:31pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1