Home > Technical > Which Nato hitch
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Leeroy

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
Which Nato hitch
Hi Guys,

I am currently looking to purchase a Penman or Sankey trailer and adjusting my adjustable tow hitch set-up to accommodate the 700mm hitch hight.

but the bit I am struggling with is which Hitch to buy there are so many part numbers and I would like a good quality one of the correct specification and towing weight.

Any help as always is very much appreciated, I have searched other threads but didn't find the information required before i order one.

Many Thanks

Leeroy

Post #506341 20th Feb 2016 9:12am
mowcop

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
You might find your a bit low with the rear step fitted.
I have always found its best to have it high up, ideally on the rear cross member.
Post #506344 20th Feb 2016 9:43am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Hello

When I looked into this I found the following.

If you have a Sankey / penman that has a Fixed towing eye then you need a Nato hitch that can swivel, if the trailer towing eye moves then you need a hitch that is fixed.

As I fitted a drop plate, I don't have to keep the hitch on as its not very pretty.... but very purposeful and will certainly put people off parking near the back Smile I will probably paint it but don't want to gum it up.

It has a pin to lock it down when the trailer is connected and also a pin to lock the swivel mechanism, so I can either used it fixed if needed.

This is mine, I think for it to be more useful I will need the spare wheel carrier to be raised slightly. There is a new bracket for this I have a link somewhere around 60.

Click image to enlarge

Usually some on e-bay or MOD auction sites. Or ask on here I got mine from a forum member Smile
Post #506345 20th Feb 2016 9:44am
Brewstop

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Zambezi Silver
A nice shiney new NATO hitch from manufacturers

Click image to enlarge

http://dixon-bate.co.uk/shop/gb/136-pintles

http://dixon-bate.co.uk/shop/gb/pintles/23...coup-.html Sandy
Post #506346 20th Feb 2016 9:48am
Stacey007

United Kingdom 
Agree with mowcop,

Its designed to be fitted to rear cross member where the 4 bolts are on an army Landy. They don't have a rear wheel so easier and them this gives them the right height.

I think changing the tyres will help a little, however from your current tow height you need to be a fair bit higher?

This is how mine sits with the Nato hitch in the position above. If the Tyre moves up a little I can get it slightly better. I'm happy with this as has to 'look' right and nose down a little is good for towing.

Click image to enlarge

on the original towing height, it looked like this....

Click image to enlarge
Post #506347 20th Feb 2016 9:49am
Leeroy

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
mowcop
I have made a new plate that will make the hight just below the fixing holes in the crossmember will post some pictures when its painted.

Stacey007

Thanks for the heads up regarding the rotating and non rotating I have seen your thread regarding the work you have done on achieving the hight. I think to get the best hight I will have to open the rear door to hitch the trailer because of the hinge on the he hitch.

Brewstop

thanks for the links I think there are a couple of the same brand on eBay but 7 ton and some with no towing capacity but detailed as land rover genuine ??

Many Thanks again

Leeroy
Post #506378 20th Feb 2016 12:17pm
Nick999

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Penman Trailer Hitch Bracket
Here’s a bracket I had made out of 15mm stainless. I made a pattern out of MDF with hole centres marked up. Really pleased with it and it gets the right height for a Penman without losing the NAS bumper.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #790152 2nd Sep 2019 10:19pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
^ nice workmanship that’s quite a piece of stainless steel Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #790157 2nd Sep 2019 10:42pm
Rosco

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Montalcino Red
Nice solution Nick999.

I'd say get a rotating swivel which ever eye your trailer is fitted with as a rotating swivel can be locked in the upright position.

Trying to hitch them with the door open can cause problems as the jockey wheel will likely stop the door closing afterwards. I've got mine fitted the same as Stacey007 and it's about as level as we'll get without doing something with the way the spare is mounted 2007 - Stornoway Grey 90 XS SW - Gone
2002 - Black Discovery II - Gone
2014 - Montalcino Red 110 XS SW
Post #790176 3rd Sep 2019 8:03am
Nick999

Thanks Sulisuli. The welder is a skilled guy. Never done stainless so left to those that can.👍

Rosco. I'm hoping I can work round it as I'm picking the trailer up today. Either that or I'll be driving home with rear door ventilation. 😉
Post #790213 3rd Sep 2019 10:24am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Remember that EITHER the pintle OR the lunette MUST rotate, but not both. If you're towing an early trailer with a rotating lunette the pintle must be fixed. If a later trailer with a non-rotating lunette, the pintle must rotate. Under condition of severe articulation the early type will lock and unless you are aware of this you'll destroy the lunette, your crossmember, or both (which is why the change to non-rotating lunettes came about).

The only pintle worth bothering with is the genuine DB article (beware there are nasty copies out there). Many Defenders do not require the pintle or the attachment to be type approved, but if yours was first registered on or after 29th October 2012 it does require full TA, and your only (legal) option is either to mount it directly to the cross-member or to use a DB slider mount, with a DB coupling.

(Type approval for towing attachments was extended to include N1 Light Commercials from 29th October 2012).

Remember also that if you have an older Sankey trailer (e.g. a narrowtrack) it MUST be modified to have a break-away cable which operates the brakes. Later trailers should already have this.

Here, courtesy of forum member "Tiger", is a copy of the TA certificate for the DB pintle. Be aware that technically this only applies to pintles recent enough to have an "E11" sticker, but the design hasn't changed. Even if you don't actually need TA at present I suggest keeping a copy of this with your vehicle documents. The day will come....

Click image to enlarge
Post #790234 3rd Sep 2019 12:02pm
Nick999

Hi Blackwolf,
Great advice and thanks. The hitch is gen DB and rotates. The jocky wheel folds horizontal so the rear door wasn't a problem.
Thanks for the TA doc I'll print it off and keep it.
👍
Post #790277 3rd Sep 2019 4:42pm
v8bob

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Nato Green
I have a Sankey Mk3 that I will be selling soon. If you want any height dimensions from that let me know?
Post #790332 3rd Sep 2019 8:01pm
Nick999

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #790334 3rd Sep 2019 8:13pm
Sulisuli

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
Always useful to have a good fabshops number in your phone, like you I have a great guy locally Thumbs Up 2015 HT XS 90
2008 SVX 90
2000 XS TD5 90
Post #790362 3rd Sep 2019 9:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>