↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Learning French
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
bob neville

Spain 2001 Defender 90 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Try Duolingo. We are using it on IPads to learn Spanish. It is free but there is also a pay for version without ads.

It teaches spoken and written language.

Bob 2015 Jaguar XE240 R Sport - goes like ....... !!
2013 Defender 90 CSW - sold
2009 Defender 110 Double Cab - sold
2001 TD5 90 CSW - offroad project - sold to a forum member
2011 Porsche Boxster - for the sunny days !
Post #782603 22nd Jul 2019 6:54pm
LiftedDisco

Another vote for Michel Thomas - very easy to follow, particularly if you have time in the car to listen to the CD’s
Post #782637 22nd Jul 2019 8:58pm
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Bluest, as already mentioned, Rosetta Stone (expensive) and Michel Thomas (Less expensive) both have good reviews. If I had one complaint on Thomas, it's that his (strong) accent is that of a foreigner. The method to learn the language is good, but the tone, sound, ear etc are NOT that of a native French speaker. This is important as there are two parts to being able to master a language. Getting the basics right, grammar, words, structure etc, but then also being able to 'hear' a language. You wouldn't recommend that a Frenchman learnt English from a Pole given how strong the accent can be, even if the Pole's grammar was exceptional. This, in effect, is what Thomas is offering you. The real clue you've mastered a language or not is speaking with a native on the phone, as there are no visual signals and I'd suggest Thomas and his accent wouldn't allow most people to do this particularly easily.

So, if you want to get your ear really tuned in there is no substitute for listening to French speakers over and over again. In this regard my wife has used quite a few YouTube lessons. Some are free, some are subscription. But generally they seem quite good. But you really have to do it every opportunity you get. So possibly your best bet is get one of the kits to nail the language, and then get something audio to hear the language, perhaps download some school kid level talking books so you can listen to them in the car. I've been speaking French on and off for 35 years, did French A Level, lived briefly as a student in France, French girlfriend etc. But when I first arrived here permanently, 12 years, I was an independent agent working for a British company. Plus, there are loads of Brits in Cham. My oral/aural French never advanced until a couple of years ago when I worked for a French company, 100% staffed by French, speaking and listening to French 8hrs a day... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #782816 24th Jul 2019 7:55am
CharlieDonuts

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
I am English but I have lived in France 🇫🇷 for a long time. To be able to communicate well you need to achieve CEFR level B2. The best thing for me is to watch France 2 Direct via the internet as often as possible. To listen to LearnFrenchbyPodcast in the car. Then find you yourself a French teacher (I have two) practice speaking with them via Skype. If you want to learn the grammar try KWIZIK but French grammar is difficult to master even for the French. If you need an incentive to study - French women love an English accent !
Post #782839 24th Jul 2019 10:43am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks for all the great responses. I do think getting on a course is probably the best approach. In the meantime, I have downloaded DuoLingo onto my phone, as I can do it on the train when I'm travelling for work (except for the speaking bits!). I'm going to try to find some French videos on YouTube or something on a topic that interests me and just watch and listen too.

CD based stuff is a no go, I haven't owned one of those archaic contraptions for about a decade!!! 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #782840 24th Jul 2019 10:47am
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
CharlieDonuts wrote:
I am English but I have lived in France 🇫🇷 for a long time. To be able to communicate well you need to achieve CEFR level B2. The best thing for me is to watch France 2 Direct via the internet as often as possible. To listen to LearnFrenchbyPodcast in the car. Then find you yourself a French teacher (I have two) practice speaking with them via Skype. If you want to learn the grammar try KWIZIK but French grammar is difficult to master even for the French. If you need an incentive to study - French women love an English accent !

I shall let my wife know I've found my motivation Rolling with laughter

France 2 seems to be Geoblocked for the UK. I work alone a lot so there is no reason I couldn't have a French talk radio station on my computer if I could find one 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #782841 24th Jul 2019 10:52am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
CharlieDonuts, welcome. Quick one on LFBP, is it good? My wife wants to up her game a bit, it’s very easy here to fall back into English.

As for accents, it appears mine is quite good, so not many compliments from the ladies. Americans and Canadians on the other hand.... Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #782842 24th Jul 2019 10:53am
CharlieDonuts

France 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Galway Green
I flat refuse to do French homework so I look for fun things to do like charming the local ladies. If that’s not an option then you need to listen to French as much as possible. The radio will be hard. TV with French Subtitles is better. If you can not get French television news then look for a French series on Netflix. It really is worth the subscription to get original French TV. If all else fails look for cheap DVD’s with subtitles. Learn French by Podcast is pretty easy to do at least one lesson a week. Even if you do hate homework. BRILLIANT for the car or by headphones on the move.

Then you have to practice speaking at least several times a week. French teachers charge 15 euros for half an hour. Otherwise there is no end of French people who want to practice speaking English. Use your internet browser there are forums where you can find language friends. I pay for a teacher because I kept meeting African ladies on line who wanted to marry me. I kid you not Razz that happened twice before I put my hand in my pocket and paid for a teacher.
Post #782865 24th Jul 2019 12:09pm
ken

United Kingdom 
What Mr Doughnuts said

A long time ago I spent much time in the Bordeaux regions visiting French Caves collecting Wine for Bordeaux Direct always had a Moped Guide though the tiny Villages the People spoke no English so you learn and yep the ladies love a English French accent but the French Lady Armpit is another story Rolling with laughter
Post #783001 25th Jul 2019 6:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12