↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > 200tdi Discovery Running Hot
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
dioliahary

Scotland 
200tdi Discovery Running Hot
Hi my engine seems to run hot, sitting at 90 degrees but shot up to 120 when I was manoeuvring my caravan. So I flushed the radiator out, thermostat works. Been looking on line and Powerful uk advertise a aluminium radiator with twin core which offers 30% improvement. Any one fitted one/feedback on this. 1990 200tdi conversion 90
Post #781487 14th Jul 2019 9:00pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
Whilst that would certainly help, you're not necessarily curing the problem. If everything is working as it should then it's pretty hard to make a 200tdi overheat, which suggests that something isn't working as intended. Viscous fan, maybe? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #781495 14th Jul 2019 9:34pm
Devon-Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
A normal new rad is more than enough to cope with a TDI and I assume your using the standard Viscose fan.

Just make sure the fan is locking up when the engine is warm it should be hard to turn and easier than that when the engine is cold.

Overtime the fins in the rad will simply corrode and fall out so check that.

It's not unusual for rads to build up enough scale that even a flush won't shift it. after all it won't flow if it is blocked.

If it does need a new rad and you are not tuneing the knobs off it to race across the sahara then a posh rad is just a waste of cash. The TDI inheriently runs cool enough for a lot of owners to moan the heater doesn't get hot. Also can be found on Fb, Ytube, Insta & Twitter @4WDSouthwest
Post #781496 14th Jul 2019 9:37pm
dioliahary

Scotland 
Great stuff, I didn’t mention that it only has an electric fan, which I could not use till I repaired it today. So the issue may well lie here. 1990 200tdi conversion 90
Post #781502 14th Jul 2019 9:53pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Bin the junk electric fan and put a viscous back on if possible (depending on how your conversion was done). If not then make sure it works. You’ll easily overheat a Tdi in the summer with no cooling when doing low-speed high effort work like manoeuvring trailers or climbing steep inclines.

200Tdis are efficient engines but they don’t ‘run cool’ as many suggest, their running temperature is set by the thermostat in all but the lightest of load conditions and therefore the water will be around 90 degrees C. As such the ‘crap heater’ problems are usually due to poor adjustment of flaps, missing or degraded seals or even door gaps you could drive a bus through causing a draughty cab.
Post #781506 14th Jul 2019 10:19pm
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Maybe worth checking the water pump is working ok too. I’m not a big fan (excuse the pun) of electric fan conversions, never really have any problems with the originals unlike them.
Post #781509 14th Jul 2019 11:03pm
dioliahary

Scotland 
It’s got new WP, there was no Viscous fan fitted when I bought it and cannot see any room for it, as air filter will be in the way. Does an electric fan fitting intend to replace or support the VF. 1990 200tdi conversion 90
Post #781513 14th Jul 2019 11:23pm
Grouse

Replace.

There is nothing wrong with an electric fan if it’s working correctly. Also it’s not been mentioned but check / change the gauge. The 4 cylinder Diesel N/A and Petrol gauges are calibrated differently to the TDi ones. I had exactly this on a 300 TDi conversion of mine.
Post #781515 15th Jul 2019 5:11am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
dioliahary wrote:
Great stuff, I didn’t mention that it only has an electric fan, which I could not use till I repaired it today. So the issue may well lie here.

Perhaps you should have led with that one... Shocked Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #781525 15th Jul 2019 7:52am
dioliahary

Scotland 
Good point, never really needed the electric fan before , just found it strange that the needle topped 120 when shunting the van. 1990 200tdi conversion 90
Post #781526 15th Jul 2019 7:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1